PDA

View Full Version : Sony Magnascale

blake in spokane
03-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Has anybody shortend a Sony DRO scale?

Rich Carlstedt
03-09-2008, 12:07 AM
No, But I have shortened a Analam glass scale.
Very fragile to say the least.
I cut the Aluminum bar in two places.
First about 3 inches longer, and snapped the glass there.
It broke at a very irregular angle and took out over one inch of the three I had 'saved" .
Fortunitely, I suspected that would happen.
Then because I didn't have the weight, I carefully cut the length I wanted and was able to slip the 3 inch piece of Aluminum off. then I Nibbled off the balance of the scale with a set of nippers, taking 1/8 inch off at a time.
I tried to diamond score the glass before that, but it did not work, and would break at non-scored locations !
I think if I had used a hot wire ( cutting wine bottle necks ie.) it may have worked better, but the nippers work if you are careful.

rich

Forrest Addy
03-09-2008, 01:22 AM
Want to cut a glass scale? Remove it and take it to a rock hound equipped with a diamond rock saw. Protect the glass scale and cut it with the diamond saw. Tell him not to crowd it on breakthrough. Whatever kind of glass it is, it does not score and break predictably.

Rock hounds have grit everywhere in their shops. Wash the scale carefully immediately afterward cutting with plenty of soap and a soft brush so the etching doesn't get scratched.

Rich Carlstedt
03-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Forest
The scale I cut down was mounted to the Aluminum bar with a ceramic material on one side, and a rubber strip.
I removed the rubber, but the 'grout' made easy removal of the glass a 'make or break " Situation.
Rich

MCS
03-10-2008, 11:06 AM
A Sony Magnescale does not operate with a glass scale.
It's a magnetic polar interpolation system, consisting of a sensor, magnetic bar, housing and sealing. The sensor is double to sense forwards and backwards movement.

So, if you can open the housing, it can be shortened.
Will it be after the "operation" just as accurate as when it left the factory? Dunno.

http://www.axis-gb.com/P_Sony_DROb2.jpg

blake in spokane
03-11-2008, 12:52 AM
Thanks MCS, I like your answer the best! I heard it could be done. But do I saw , grind ,chop , mill / stretch , clamp ,glue , solder, ect. ? Thanks Again - Blake

MCS
03-11-2008, 05:26 AM
Thanks MCS, I like your answer the best! I heard it could be done. But do I saw , grind ,chop , mill / stretch , clamp ,glue , solder, ect. ? Thanks Again - Blake

I think a chainsaw is out of the question. You don't have to shorten the cable, so there goes the soldering iron.

For the rest it is like anything else.

Think whether you're going to do it or not.

If yes:

....Carefull disassembly.
....Study. Decide whether you're going to do it or not.

....If yes:
.........Make your plan of attack.
.........Attack.

....Carefull assembly.