PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted on the Unimig Procraft 210

speedy
03-08-2008, 10:23 PM
http://www.unimig.com.au/procraft_1.html
The link above is the later single button machine

Does anyone have experience of these machines?
At present I use a Lincoln SP-170T for the odd jobs that require doing about here.
A mate is offering me the Unimig as part of a package in a contra deal.

Alan in Oz
03-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Speedy,
A family member, very experienced welder took up an agency for Unimig, was quite impressed with them (pro series) at the time (8 odd years ago), sold quite a number. Don't know how the current ones compare though.

oldtiffie
03-09-2008, 07:30 AM
Speedy.

I have the 240 ProCraft - virtually identical to the 210.

It is a great machine - does the job faultlessly. It has lots of grunt and very good open-circuit voltage.

Do make sure that your power supply is adequate and not marginal.

I bought the larger one (in OZ) for the larger duty cycle at mi-range where I use it. I think it has the better wire feed rollers as well.

If NZ is the same as OZ, spares are available just about everywhere. Service is good too.

My main gripe - which I've adapted to - is that wire speed is given as a % instead of in metre/min or meter/sec as in most of the trade literature. But it does have one facility that I do like in that regard as it shows the amps used a the end of the previous weld - very handy indeed.

I have never needed to use it at full capacity (amps) - which is also the least duty cycle.

The machine is made in Italy. Construction is first class as well.

UniMIG is very popular in OZ.

speedy
03-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Thanks to you both.
These machines seem to be readily available down this way and product support appears to be good.
I called the NZ distributor this morning and was informed that the only problem they have is under voltage. It gives the machine some grief; well it is not good for any appliance is it?
Maybe fitting caps might be beneficial??
Oldtiffie, your heavier machine has them, this one doesn't.
If the board gives any trouble they are $100 exchange or they will repair the original; they admitted to a few but this problem happens infrequently(?).
The biggest bug, apparently, is operators setting the machine up incorrectly. Not being aware of how to reset to factory default the problem compounds.
Currently they run out in the order of $1400.

oldtiffie
03-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks to you both.
These machines seem to be readily available down this way and product support appears to be good.
I called the NZ distributor this morning and was informed that the only problem they have is under voltage. It gives the machine some grief; well it is not good for any appliance is it?
Maybe fitting caps might be beneficial??
Oldtiffie, your heavier machine has them, this one doesn't.
If the board gives any trouble they are $100 exchange or they will repair the original; they admitted to a few but this problem happens infrequently(?).
The biggest bug, apparently, is operators setting the machine up incorrectly. Not being aware of how to reset to factory default the problem compounds.
Currently they run out in the order of $1400.
Thanks Ken.

That makes sense.

Re-setting to factory default is quite easy. I forget it at the moment, but it is in the manual. I used it several times when I first got the machine but not since.

I had an Electrician in to wire it up. He wired it up with very heavy leads (replaced the original) to my 50Amp outlet on my 240V 50~ 1ph (415V 2ph) - with 60A circuit-breakers on each phase - supply to minimise/eliminate under-voltage as they draw a lot of current. I also had the Electrician make up a 6 metre (29 foot) very heavy extension lead as well so that I could get that bit further from the outlet when needed.

I can assure you that they are a very nice machine.