PDA

View Full Version : H/F Adjustable Reamer Set

DICKEYBIRD
03-09-2008, 11:54 AM
I have a couple small adjustable reamers and an East European 1/8" - 1/2" "chucking" reamer set that works great but have no large reamers at all.

I ran across this set at the H/F site. I've had mixed results with adjustable reamers but this was back when I had to ream by hand before I got my mill. Do they work well enough for semi-close HSM work if chucked up in a mill? I'm talking maybe .002" tolerance to be finished with a lap.

Anybody have this set and care to comment on it? Looks like a lot of reaming capability for the money. Before I get pounced on, this is for occasional use in a low-budget home shop.:)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38577

jdunmyer
03-09-2008, 03:18 PM
I have what is probably the same set, but not bought from HF. It's probably me, but I had a hard time getting an on-size hole with them, especially anything bigger than with the smallest reamer. They also seem to require a LOT of torque to turn. Lots of trial & error getting the thing set, too.

Again, I've only used them a bit, so may not (probably don't) have the correct technique.

FWIW:

Carld
03-09-2008, 04:12 PM
The adjustable reamers work better on cast iron, brass, bronze or aluminum than steels.

ahidley
03-10-2008, 07:47 AM
I have a set. They work ok.

DICKEYBIRD
03-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the replies fellows. It's not like I have a daily use for them...just nice to have around for odd jobs and they're not a lot of money.