PDA

View Full Version : A.O.L.Question

Alistair Hosie
03-09-2008, 06:13 PM
anyone here use AOL providers I do they sent me from AOL9 an upgrade through the net to AOL9.1 then the said I shouldnt be using that and sent me AOL9vr what is the diferrence,What is best they wouldnt be clear on the subject when I asked padur from India.Alistair

agrip
03-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Alistair
Understand your frustration and feelings of "What's going on with all of the rigamarole from AOL. Been there years ago.

Google AOL with your choice of additional keywords.
"Cancelations" might be one of your chosen words.

Years back, AOL developed a huge Case (pun intended) of "General Bullmoose". i.e., "Whats good for bullmoose is good for everybody, whether they like it or not."

They are suffering the backlash now.

Good Luck and hope you have alternatives.
Ag

tattoomike68
03-09-2008, 07:45 PM
Friends dont let Friends run AOL. :D

(A parity of a drunk driving commercial for you folks accross the pond)

IOWOLF
03-09-2008, 08:49 PM
I was on AOL when it was pay by hour,Screw that $hit.

tattoomike68
03-09-2008, 08:57 PM
I was on AOL when it was pay by hour,Screw that $hit.

I remember using a 300 baud modem and calling up compuserve 150 miles away to view a BBS in 1983 on a Commadore 64.

Man we have came a long way since then.

The Doctor
03-09-2008, 09:42 PM
AOL just flat sucks! Go with someone else, anyone else.

Ed

Guido
03-09-2008, 10:05 PM
'Twas about 5 years ago, when one of the Tonight Shows got wind of how difficult it was to find the right person to tell: DISCONNECT ME, NOW.

The show people placed a call to a 'good' phone number and the BS started, live, over the air and recorded. The time lag was like 30 minutes from the first person to the last person talked to, each person with a bigger pile of BS. AOL apologized, but too late. Wasn't it Time Warner who owned AOL, but soon distanced themselves? Like rates abandoning the ship.

Alistair, pull the plug, now, you'll be happier elsewhere.

G

speedy
03-09-2008, 10:13 PM
"Alistair, pull the plug, now, you'll be happier elsewhere" Holy moly, that is terminal advice Alistair; I think Guido means AOL? ;)

We have broadband that is slightly faster than snail mail. And email that is married to yahoo, not:cool:

tattoomike68
03-09-2008, 10:33 PM
What can you british folks get around there as far as broadband?

Around here in farm country folks in town go cable or DSL. If they get out a good ways they can be 10+ miles out and get a wireless radio wave thats fast. then there is Satellite and we know it has its ups and downs but mostly downs.

What are the options? And cost?

bobw53
03-09-2008, 10:48 PM
TatooMike I have Wireless microwave, works pretty darn good, I shoot to an antennae on a cell phone tower about 8 miles down the valley. Usually runs about 1.5megs, I've gone almost to 8 megs in the middle of the night. $50 a month, $100 for all the equipment and install. Never lose it even the worst storms, even when the DirecTv goes out, I still have the internet connection.

I have Satellite up at the shop, its consistantly fast(1.5megs), but the delays drive you nuts. Cost a lot too.

tattoomike68
03-09-2008, 10:55 PM
TatooMike I have Wireless microwave, works pretty darn good, I shoot to an antennae on a cell phone tower about 8 miles down the valley. Usually runs about 1.5megs, I've gone almost to 8 megs in the middle of the night. $50 a month, $100 for all the equipment and install. Never lose it even the worst storms, even when the DirecTv goes out, I still have the internet connection.

I have Satellite up at the shop, its consistantly fast(1.5megs), but the delays drive you nuts. Cost a lot too.

thanks I wondered what up.

Thats uptown style, maybe Alistair needs to open his wallet and let the "moths out" :D

DickDastardly40
03-10-2008, 03:47 AM
What can you british folks get around there as far as broadband?

What are the options? And cost?

There are a few broadband options, most of which are through the telephone line run by the owner of the infrastructure, British Telecom, from whom you need a basic rental of 11/month. Broadband packages then are extra from a variety of companies from about 5/month.

I have Sky broadband which includes Satelite TV(basic package) free weekend and evening phone calls and 8Mbps internet for 30/month. This also included a wireless router which seems to work very well so far.

The only cable option in the UK is Virgin Media as far as I'm aware and can work out cheaper depending on which tv package you have as the phone line comes through the cable so you don't have to pay BT also, but SWMBO took against it so we switched recently.

The Father in Law uses AOL broadband, but that's all he's ever used so my protestations that it's cr@p fall on deaf ears. Oh well I tried.

Al

Norman Atkinson
03-10-2008, 04:33 AM
Alistair,
I've been on Orange since it was Freeserve, since it was Wanadoo and ---- I used to have a shock of hair.

And that is cr@p.

Push came to shove and I got the Blue Death on my PC and started again.
Frankly, Orange is a Lemon. If I wrote what I wanted, I'd be facing a prison sentence.

Cheers

Norm

Prokop
03-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Wasn't it Time Warner who owned AOL, but soon distanced themselves? Like rates abandoning the ship.

G

Nope. It was AOL that bought Time Warner for a lot of money - about 3 times what Ford paid for Volvo - and it both went down the tube ever since. It is gonna be in textbooks as one of the stup!dest moves in history.

Anyway, AOL is not worth keeping, get fast connection like DSL and ditch the account. Sticking to it just to keep the old screenname is not worth it.

IMHO:)

Alistair Hosie
03-10-2008, 01:07 PM
I am commited to AOl for three years as they gave me a free laptop for services rendered I have not had too much problem with them and was using them anyway so I took the bait er laptop for my son seems like s a good deal to me I pay every month and get free phone and that includes 36 countries around the worls 24 7 so I can't complain regards Alistair

aboard_epsilon
03-10-2008, 01:32 PM
here's the ratings for british broadband

http://www.dslzoneuk.net/isp_ratings.php#

all the best.markj

BobC
03-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Alistair,
I still use AOL 9.1, primarily to avoid changing the email address that I have used for years. AOL costs me nothing as I use a broadband connection provided by someone else for Internet access. I did try AOL-VR for a while but did not like it. They divide the content into four separate windows on the screen that can be selected and sized using the cursor. As I recall, it kept freezing on me and I eventually switched back to version 9.1.

I have no particular love for AOL but they do a fair job of delivering the mail and it is certainly worth what I pay, i.e. nothing.

Hope this helps.
Bob

Alistair Hosie
03-10-2008, 06:22 PM
yes Bob I had alot of problems with feezing with AOL9vr too gone back to 9.1 thanks for the info regards Alistair