• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fasttrack
    • Jul 2005

Pinging Lane, JTiers, WierdScience

Hey yall

I just wanted to thank you for responding to my earlier thread on Reed-Prentice lathes.

You guys opened me up to an entirely new "world" of lathes. I had never heard of many of the manufacturers that were suggested and since then, I've been on a reading-binge, studying up on some of these old machines.

They are really fascinating - reading about Lodge and Shipley or American Pacemaker, for instance, is really impressive.

If you guys hadn't posted, I would never have learned as much as I did - so thanks alot guys!

(Thanks also to everyone else for all the advice, tech help, etc that you've so willingly shared!)
  • lane
    • Aug 2005

Thats what we are here for. Help when we can.
    Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
    http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
    http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

• wierdscience
      • Jan 2003

Always glad to be of service.

Machinetools can be addictive however,first you get one,then four,then fifty-five
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• smiller6912
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by wierdscience
        Machinetools can be addictive however,first you get one,then four,then fifty-five
        Then you try to convince the wife the you need a new 1000 sq. ft. garage in the back..........
        "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• wierdscience
          • Jan 2003

Originally posted by smiller6912
          Then you try to convince the wife the you need a new 1000 sq. ft. garage in the back..........
          Wife???What's a wife?Some sort of new indicator?
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

• J Tiers
            • Jan 2004

Nope, if you find a GOOD one, she will sort and organize all your stuff, and even listen to how you want it sorted......

I now can find any size fastener needed..... all sorted out.... Stuff on shelves, (which she assembled), etc, etc.....

She claims it is out of motives of self defense, and that may be right......!
            CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
            Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
            Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
            I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
            Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• gearedloco
              • May 2007

Yet another definition of "wife"...

Originally posted by J Tiers
              Nope, if you find a GOOD one, she will sort and organize all your stuff, and even listen to how you want it sorted......

I now can find any size fastener needed..... all sorted out.... Stuff on shelves, (which she assembled), etc, etc.....

In casual conversation with an "Administrative Assistant" (who happened to be female) where I used to work I used the term "my wife." She cut me off saying, "Wife? Wife? Oh yeah. That's an appliance that you screw on your bed and it does your housework."

If there was any doubt in my mind that the woman had ISSUES this resolved them. Some months later she quit, saying she was "going to takes some time off, do some writing, and then go into teaching."

Just another day in The Peoples Free Democratic Republic of Berkeley. Please leave your "nuclears" at the City Limit when entering; TPFDR of Berkeley is a Nuclear Free Zone.

Comment

• J Tiers
                • Jan 2004

And I always thought that "new clears" were something to do with Scientology.......... They ought to like 'em there.
                CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• JCHannum
                  • Nov 2001

Originally posted by gearedloco
                  TPFDR of Berkeley is a Nuclear Free Zone.
                  Yeah, but they still have the Marines.

It was interesting to see how quickly they changed their position when it came down to dollars and cents.
                  Jim H.

Comment

• recoilless
                    • Mar 2006

Wfe???What's a wife? Somw sort of new indicator?
                    No, a wife is a work stop...
                    I bury my work

Comment

• Fasttrack
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by recoilless
                      Wfe???What's a wife? Somw sort of new indicator?
                      No, a wife is a work stop...

Nice one ... lol

Comment

• Evan
                        • May 2003

Please leave your "nuclears" at the City Limit when entering; TPFDR of Berkeley is a Nuclear Free Zone.
                        Not exactly. I was born there and went to school there. The University of California has a fission reactor on campus in Berkeley. They do research on high level nuclear waste, among other aspects of nuclear power.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• Fasttrack
                          • Jul 2005

Berkley ... psh they don't know anything about nuclear power ... or nuclear bombs ...

Comment

• oldtiffie
                            • Nov 1999

That's life

Originally posted by J Tiers

Originally posted by gearedloco
                            In casual conversation with an "Administrative Assistant" (who happened to be female) where I used to work I used the term "my wife." She cut me off saying, "Wife? Wife? Oh yeah. That's an appliance that you screw on your bed and it does your housework."

If there was any doubt in my mind that the woman had ISSUES this resolved them. Some months later she quit, saying she was "going to takes some time off, do some writing, and then go into teaching."

Just another day in The Peoples Free Democratic Republic of Berkeley. Please leave your "nuclears" at the City Limit when entering; TPFDR of Berkeley is a Nuclear Free Zone.
                            Yep JT - you've got it right.

I am very much blessed as regards my wife.

You've had a problem there gearedloco.

Perhaps you should have introduced her to this forum where by definition there is huge interest in screwing and some real good old-fashioned big heavy-duty screwing machines - and "dead nuts".

But then some of 'em regard their men? as accessories - just like but ranked way below their hand-bags!! I wonder how we will all go with the seasonal fashion changes.

Maybe we'll all get lucky when we get "flicked" to an Opportunity Shop for disposal!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X