X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveC
    • May 2002

Just bought a 12x36 Harbor Freight lathe

I have a question as to what tooling to buy. All the 1/2 insert holders that I've seen are very flimsy. They are triangle inserts only held by the pin. It seems like there are 3/4 insert holders for the cnmg style inserts that I could cut down to 1/2.
    What are other 1/2 tool holder guys doing?
    Also, I manual calls for Mobil DTE Light oil in the head stock. Where do you get this stuff?

Thanks,
    Steve
  • Thrud
    • Mar 2001

Steve
    Any mobil or Esso dealer can order it for you. Some of the big distributor carry it - try KBC, Travers, or J & L Industrial.

KBC Tools & Machinery is your supplier for all your industrial metalworking tooling and MRO needs. KBC Tools has over 100,000 product from leading vendors to make your more productive and efficient. KBCTools.com will make your ordering process quick and easy. We offer Live Chat for all your support needs.

Job shop and machine shop tools. We offer tooling for machinists.

Use the largest sized shank your toolpost can handle to maximise ridgidity. This does not mean you cannot do superb work with a 1/2" or 3/8" tools. (The Hardinge HLV uses 3/8" tools - BTW.)

As for the Insert tooling, what do you base your assessment of "flimsy" on? Unless you are looking at total crap, there is no reason to believe that they are not up to the job. I use 3/8" shank tooling and I can assure that these tools are nowhere near "flimsy or crap". But like anything else, they are designed to do a particular job and cannot handle .100" feed like a larger tool in a far more powerful machine.

If you want good tools to start with and are unfamiliar with carbide I would suggest you start with T-15 HSS inserts. You can buy a set of shanks and inserts for around $100 from A.R. Warner http://www.arwarnerco.com/
    These T-15 inserts can handle interupted cuts and stainless quite well. I recommend you start with these and work your way up to Carbide inserts as your skills improve.

(I am presuming this is your first go at it - if not, I appologise for the assumption)

Comment

• sidneyt
      • Aug 2002

Steve:

You need to be aware that your new 12 x 36 may not be able to use standard 1/2" height tooling with the 4 way tool post that comes with the machine. It's not that it won't work at all, but, that it may be too high. I say this because I own a HF 12 x 36 lathe and I know of several others who also have them. The tool will only be a "little" bit too high (I remember .030" or so), but still too high if you need to be right on. One solution to this is to use a quick change tool post like I do. Or, you can use smaller sized tooling like 3/8". As Thud says, there is nothing wrong with 3/8". I own a set of the Enco version (fine Indian quality) that cost $19.99 and they have worked for me for several years without any problem (they give you extra screws with the toolholders). The inserts are a little pricey because they are positive rake, but they work just fine.

I have also made insert tool holders for positive rake inserts. It cost about $.25 for a piece of CRS and your time to make them. I use #8 or 6 screws to hold the insert on the toolholder. These toolholders work just as well as the Enco version. I made them with 1/2" stock but you could shave off some and use them with the standard 4-way. In any case I can take quite a bite out of a piece of CRS without much trouble (.125"). I have chipped carbide inserts usually from carelessness, but I have never broken a screw or the holder itself.

Comment

• medicmike
        • Oct 2002

I have an HF 12x36 and upgraded the tool post with an Aloris clone and think it was one of the best $120 I have spent on tooling.

Comment

• moldmonkey
          • Aug 2002

I have the same lathe and agree on the wuick-change toolpost. The supplied fourway is set up for metric(I milled and ground mine before I got a quickchange). I use 1/2" shank toolholders that take TCMT_32.51 inserts. They are plenty rigid. I can take heavy cuts and throw little blue chips sll over.
          Jon Bohlander
          My PM Blog

Comment

• x39
            • Nov 2002

The shanks on cemented carbide tool bits can be milled down to fit smaller tool holders. Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
            X