PDA

View Full Version : Small lathe questions

Dunc
03-13-2008, 03:57 PM
Neighbor wants to join the game... wants to start off 'small' as he doesn't have a lot of space. He has found a lathe that suits his purposes - mainly size & cost - but when I had a look I noted that the only chuck available is a 3-jaw. I assume it is mounted directly; the store selling this lathe does not offer a 4-jaw independent, collet chuck, faceplate, etc & claims they are not available. Chuck appears to be bolted onto a backplate/flange with three bolts. I think the backplate is integral with the spindle - ie maybe not-detachable. The spindle has about 3/4" opening.

Can anyone point me to a 7 x 12 or 8 x 12 or 15 metal lathe with screwcutting capability and a selection of chucks? While Taig is an option, I think he needs one all ready to go and not a build up. Integral drill-mill not required although he might reconsider.

Unimats - are they still around? - would be a little too small tho.

kendall
03-13-2008, 04:22 PM
If the chucks the problem, with the 3 bolt direct mount sounds like one of the Asian 7x lathes.
If so, grizzly, harbor freight, and little machine shop all have 3 and 4 jaw chucks for them, LMS also carries adapter plates for various chucks.

Ken.

SGW
03-13-2008, 04:25 PM
Prazi makes some nice small lathes. Not cheap though....
Here's one place that sells them: http://www.campbelltools.com/prazi/prazid2400.htm

Dunc
03-13-2008, 04:52 PM
The Prazi sound a wee bit pricey.

@ kendall
Having to mount the chuck to the flange each time (as opposed to machining the flange once and simply threading the flange/chuck assembly to the spindle) sounds like a lot of fiddling each time - or am I missing something here?
Thanks

SGW
03-13-2008, 04:59 PM
Yeah, I can't see paying Prazi prices, either, given the limited thread cutting range they apparently have, and the "flange" or "DIN" spindle nose, depending on the model.

Blue Ridge Machinery sells the Myford http://www.blueridgemachinery.com/machinery/myford_lathes/myford_super_7_lathe.html but the price of those is even greater, I think. But it's a fine lathe, competently designed.

Yankee1
03-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Hi,
I have a 7x12 Grizzly and I bought a four jaw chuck for it. When I change chucks I hold the 10 mm nuts with a magnet screwdriver, then I push the nut to wards the stud with a 6" stainless rule and that point I can rotate them easily onto the stud with my finger. After doing it a few times it becomes easy to change chucks. Much information is available at the mini-lathe web-sites. "Little Machine Shop" has just about anything anyone would need for these lathes. I have both the mini-lathe and mini-mill and like them very much. I make things for air rifles with them as well as other things.
I put an variable speed electric table drive on my lathe and all I have to do is flip a toggle switch and watch it cut.
Chuck

GadgetBuilder
03-13-2008, 05:37 PM
A 7x12 from Homier, Cummins, MicroMark or Grizzly are all basically the same with variations in the tooling included and therefore the cost. If a 4 jaw chuck is needed, most owners buy a 4" rather than a 3". Depending on how fussy you are, the lathe will need more or less grooming to make it work to your satisfaction.

The 7x12 is a modest cost way for someone to figure out if they enjoy metal working and if they don't a used machine is very easy to sell.

Considerable info in the 7x12 group files and archives:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/7x12minilathe/?yguid=206766234

Full disclosure: I'm a moderator in that group.

John

kendall
03-13-2008, 05:53 PM
The Prazi sound a wee bit pricey.

@ kendall
Having to mount the chuck to the flange each time (as opposed to machining the flange once and simply threading the flange/chuck assembly to the spindle) sounds like a lot of fiddling each time - or am I missing something here?
Thanks

Not too bad once you get used to it and come up with a 'system'.

Don't own one, all mine are threaded spindle.

Most of the smaller lathes are coming with bolt on chucks, the 7x, the 8x, and a few of the 10x inch asians.
The 9x20 comes with a threaded spindle, but typically comes with only a three-jaw, and unless they've changed come with either a metric or fractional spindle.

If changing chucks is something he expects to do all the time make a threaded adapter for it.

ken.

tattoomike68
03-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks

The bolt on flange style nice to use, its no problem at all.

kf2qd
03-14-2008, 10:51 AM
I have a HF Mini lather and it came with the chuck mounting plate setup for 3 & 4 jaw chucks. At one time HF even sold the 4 jaw chuck as an accesary. I got one used that still had teh HF partno on the box. Have barely used the 4 jaw though... Probably just lazy...