X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • loose nut
    • Sep 2006

Why I hate spring, not OT

The snow (about 30") finally started to melt, the ground is still frozen, so I'm off to mop the water up off the shop floor. HI HO, HI HO, It's off to work I go.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada
  • clutch
    • Jun 2007

If only the snow would go, slightly below Lat 45N. At least you are in your shop.

Clutch

Comment

• 67gt6
      • Mar 2008

Yeah.. this time of year stinks for my machines too becaus of the quick heat ups and re cooling.. I have rust on any thing I hav'nt satuarated with oil.

Comment

• loose nut
        • Sep 2006

Well it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be when I got out to the shop, Half the floor was damp with only a little bit of water in the one corner, not on the side were the machine's are. The lot I live on is sloped toward the back, the shop is in the back yard and the concrete pad is to low, it was put in to low and probably has settled a bit more over the years, so as the snow melts it has now were to go but under the doors and into the shop. Rain isn't a problem because it just soaks into the ground, usually. I bite the bullet and keep the heater on all winter long at about 55 to 60 degrees Far. (I don't do metric) and the equipment is lathered in way lube when it isn't in use so there isn't any rust. It's very annoying to go out to the shop and find the whole building floor, 20' by 30', covered with a half inch of water.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

• Carld
          • Aug 2006

Sounds like you need to recontour the ground for better drainage.
          It's only ink and paper

Comment

• lane
            • Aug 2005

Here the grass is getting green I mowed to day . Trees are budding out . nice warm 80 ° day.I love Spring.
            Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
            http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
            http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

• JRouche
              • Aug 2004

Yeah, I dont get it. It was a nice warm 78ish here today too. You sure thermometer isnt broke, Maybe get a new one and the temps will come UP!!! LOL Sorry, just had to.

My FIL lives in the snow belt too and is still hurtin from the cold. Gotta nutther good friend in Maine and she is still shoveling the snow..

Ahhh, been there, done it. Lived in New Jersey and Colorado Springs for some years. Never again.. Margarita weather here right now... JR

Comment

• ProGunOne
                • Jun 2006

I always enjoy reading posts like this and comparing weather. It's too bad most don't fill out their profile to let us know where "here" is? It was 42 and windy here (Chicago) today and getting warmer. I enjoyed the 50's the last couple of days.
                "The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." H. L. Mencken

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

"When fear rules, reason and logic are ruled out."

Comment

• BobC
                  • Apr 2007

It was in the 80's F here today. I was doing a bit of welding and it was almost too hot with the long sleeves. Just wait, however, until July, Aug & Sept. Your weather will be great and we will be suffering.

Comment

• JoeFin
                    • Jul 2007

Tell me about it - this spring stuff is killing me.

Honey wants a new lawn in the back yard. I mean we had a perfectly good. well manicured green weeds growing there, but well now she wants a real lawn. I'm thinking I'll have to fore go the shop this week end because as you can see I have my work cut out for me

So I buys this rototiller for $150. I fiqured I got a really great deal on it as it is a 8 hp Craftsman Rototiller. BUT - there is a catch. The guy before me was an awful welder and tried to mig a few cracks on the chain drive housing. I hit one little root and the whole thing came undone

Darn near split the thing in half as you can see

Well - I knew I would find a reason to be in my shop after all today as I had to grind outthe mig welds he attempted to make weld up the case with some thing a little more stout

Also I found a few more stress fractures that needed attention and applied a healthy dose of the "O'l Smoke and Fire Show" so Honey would know I was actually working and not just putzing around in the shop

Comment

• kendall
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by loose nut
                      The snow (about 30") finally started to melt, the ground is still frozen, so I'm off to mop the water up off the shop floor. HI HO, HI HO, It's off to work I go.
                      Had the same problem, maybe my fix can help.

On my garage the floor and about three feet of concrete in front of it slope to the center of the garage, every rain, and spring snow melt flows into the garage

To 'fix' it I ripped a walmonized 2x4 down the center at an angle, then built a 1-1/2 inch dam accross the garage door, caulked the crap out of it and tapconned it down, then chipped out some concrete to form a channel for the water to run off to the side. Still get a little water that seeps in, but I drop a small fountain pump in the (non-functional) drain and pump it back out the side door.
                      It's high enough to keep the water out and low enough that it's easy to push things over, except for a cherry picker with an engine on it, that's a pain!.

It used to flood, the previous owner had everything set on 2x4 stickers to keep it dry, and would keep a pair of mud boots at the door, I do to many things in the garage to wade around in it all the time. If it didn't have cement block walls I think it would have fallen down years ago, the side door had the bottom three inches rotted right off.

Ken.

Comment

• JRouche
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ProGunOne
                        I always enjoy reading posts like this and comparing weather. It was 42 and windy here (Chicago) today and getting warmer. I enjoyed the 50's the last couple of days.
                        LOL No doubt!! I spent a winter in Chicago.. It was January, into February and the weather was twenty two below zero. The temp with the wind chill factor it was seventy below.. You cant even breath the air directly, it just wouldnt go in, and it would prolly freeze yer lungs anyway. It was the most extreme environment I have been in.

I just got outta the shower and was heading to the club (Navy) and it was only across the street, one street.. My hair was still wet.. Im not kidding, it was solid, frozen (my hair) by the time I got across the street.. Maybe seventy five yards and in a minute (it was way icy) of walkin and slippin. You could not even pull the air into yer lungs, had to have a muffle just to breath...

I dont know how you guys do it!!! Errrrr, no more for me.. JR

Oh, now I remember why I posted, Haaa. When it finally got to fifty five degrees we were in shorts going down to the lake,,, It felt like summer.. Our bodies are so adaptable... Still amazes me....

Comment

• loose nut
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by kendall
                          Had the same problem, maybe my fix can help.

On my garage the floor and about three feet of concrete in front of it slope to the center of the garage, every rain, and spring snow melt flows into the garage

To 'fix' it I ripped a walmonized 2x4 down the center at an angle, then built a 1-1/2 inch dam accross the garage door, caulked the crap out of it and tapconned it down,

Ken.
                          I was thinking about doing something like that but with a piece of angle iron, wolmanized wood would probably be better, but there isn't anywhere to redirect the water without some very serious digging. I'll give it a try and see what happens next spring.

About fifteen years ago we where in Florida in January, they had a cold snap, it was down to about 65 degrees Far. We went out to a Sunday flea market in short sleeved shirts, the locals where wearing arctic gear. One lady asked me if I was cold and I told her that it only gets to 68 degrees in my house in winter. It's all about what you are use to, I wouldn't last a day there in July.

Some viewers would like to know were people live and have that info in their profiles. I could put the name of the town were I live into my profile but it wouldn't help unless you lived in this area, it's a small town not to near anywhere, with only 3000 people.

P.S. it was snowing again this morning.
                          Last edited by loose nut; 03-16-2008, 12:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X