PDA

View Full Version : caliper mounting ideas

Bmyers
03-19-2008, 03:43 PM
I would like to see some photos of how other people mounted 6" digital calipers on the quill of their Bridgeport type mill heads.

IOWOLF
03-19-2008, 06:42 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/iowolf/NEW%20MILL/SANY0639.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/iowolf/NEW%20MILL/SANY0635.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/iowolf/NEW%20MILL/SANY0637.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/iowolf/NEW%20MILL/SANY0636.jpg

edit to add.....Calipers cost 7.99 @ H/F

macona
03-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Shars sells the vertical DRO units pretty darned cheap. About the same price as a caliper I believe.

RetiredFAE
03-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Shars sells the vertical DRO units pretty darned cheap. About the same price as a caliper I believe.

I used one of the Shars vertical DRO's and am quite happy with it. As for the mount, I never got around to drilling and tapping my Birmingham 9x49's head for it. As an experiment, I attached the two ends to the vertical mill with a pair of nickel sized super magnets. I was worried at first about it slipping, but repeated checks have shown me that it stays put. I did epoxy the magnets to the DRO ends however.

Bmyers
03-19-2008, 08:09 PM
I already have several pairs of 6" H/F calipers. I think I will copy IOWOLF. Are the jaws hard to drill ?

IOWOLF
03-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Oh yea, you need to find a sharp wood bit. ;)

It is composite.

Bmyers
03-19-2008, 08:26 PM
Oh, the ones I have are the steel jaws. Still might not be much harder than the composite LOL

Bill Pace
03-19-2008, 08:43 PM
The couple I did, the jaws were HARD, took carbide to poke a hole in. I also cut the pointy jaw ends off ... an abrasive wheel on the Dremel took care of that.

But, I agree the vertical DRO's have come down so much, its sure alot easier to use one of those ---- unless, of course you've already got a caliper to donate....

Dragons_fire
03-20-2008, 12:40 AM
Canadian tire here had their calipers on sale one week a while ago for $10 each... there 6" and "accurate" to .0005" i bought 6 of them, since there always in the opposite corner from where i am..

i tried drilling through it with a "titanium coated" drill, and it just smoked and flattened out the bit.. it says its hardened stainless.. i haven't tried a carbide bit, but if anyone has, let us know...

torker
03-20-2008, 01:01 AM
Ya, I bought 3 sets from Crappy Tire last time they were on sale.
Previous to that I mounted a set of Fowler calipers on my mill. They were harder than the back of Gawds head.
Only way I could get a smallish hole in them was to use (a few) dental burrs. I get my dentist to keep them for me and they come in handy for things like this.
Russ

Fasttrack
03-20-2008, 01:06 AM
Canadian tire here had their calipers on sale one week a while ago for $10 each... there 6" and "accurate" to .0005" i bought 6 of them, since there always in the opposite corner from where i am..

i tried drilling through it with a "titanium coated" drill, and it just smoked and flattened out the bit.. it says its hardened stainless.. i haven't tried a carbide bit, but if anyone has, let us know...

Now wait a sec, the resolution is to .0005 but the accuracy is not. Even expensive mitutoyo calipers only have an accuracy of .001 over 6" - my guess is those cheap digital ones have a worse accuracy over 6"

Of course, how many times do you use the whole six inches??

Note that only the higher end calipers meet the DIN862 standard for linear accuracy

torker
03-20-2008, 01:13 AM
Ya..that's all I'm allowed :D
On a serious note..Do you expect me to believe that Canadian Tire would sell anything less than the finest jeweled movement interpolatingcapitulating
Digital caliper that the world has ever seen?
Good Gawd.. I'm crushed :(

Fasttrack
03-20-2008, 01:18 AM
LOL

Thanks for the laugh! Yeah as far as I'm concerned those digitial calipers from HF, Canadian Tire, etc are a pretty sweet deal. A great way to put an accurate measuring devices on mills/dp's/tailstocks etc. Just thought I'd point out that a resolution of .0005 is not the same as an accuracy of .0005 ;)

Basically that .0005 is the uncertain figure in the measurment. Just like when you use a pair of dial calipers, you estimate whether the needle is right on one of the .001 graduations, or whether its say 1/4 of the way past or 1/2 the way past etc. Thats how i think of the .0005 anyhow!

torker
03-20-2008, 01:29 AM
We should just get rid of all these fancy measuring tools. Bring back the ol' vernier calipers. Failing eyesight etc.. "Aw crap"..that's close enough!"
Really.. I have a very pricey old Mit vernier that I bought in the early seventies. Even with decent eyesight..how close was the "resolution" back then?
I'm betting I'm more accurate with a cheapo digital caliper than the trusted ol' vernier.

IOWOLF
03-20-2008, 06:13 AM
Now wait a sec, the resolution is to .0005 but the accuracy is not. Even expensive mitutoyo calipers only have an accuracy of .001 over 6" - my guess is those cheap digital ones have a worse accuracy over 6"

Note that only the higher end calipers meet the DIN862 standard for linear accuracy

As I said before,Who the hell drills to .001 that is what a knee crank is for.

Fasttrack
03-20-2008, 11:23 AM
Yep - like I said Iowolf, those are great for the use to which you guys have put them. Just pointing out to Dragon's Fire that a resolution is not the same thing as an accuracy rating.

Dragons_fire
03-20-2008, 05:24 PM
yeah... i know accuracy and resolution are not the same thing!!! i was not really thinking when i typed it, and i do mix the terms up sometimes..

im at work now, and i cant remember, but i think it says the canadian tire ones are accurate to .001 with a resolution of .0005...

im just wondering if anyone has drilled through them, and what kind of drill was used. i superglued mine, but it needs to be reglued ever week cause the glue joint breaks.

ill posst a pic later if i remember

Bmyers
03-20-2008, 06:06 PM
I tried to drill through the jaws of a 6" H-F one and the drill just danced around. Looks like I am going to have to come up with some type of clamps

oldtiffie
03-20-2008, 07:13 PM

Ya..that's all I'm allowed :D
On a serious note..Do you expect me to believe that Canadian Tire would sell anything less than the finest jeweled movement interpolatingcapitulating
Digital caliper that the world has ever seen?
Good Gawd.. I'm crushed :(

Torker/Russ.

Is that 6" "round" or "long" = or both?

IOWOLF
03-20-2008, 08:28 PM
:eek:
Torker/Russ.

Is that 6" "round" or "long" = or both?

DING,DING,DING,DING....FAG ALERT, WARNING POSSIBLE FUDGE PACKER SIGHTING:eek: :D

torker
03-20-2008, 08:34 PM
LOL! Jay..did you have to do that at suppertime? Now I'm gonna get bit#&ed out for getting rice stuck in the keyboard :D

interiorpainter
03-21-2008, 06:57 AM
Yes that fun part drilling through a caliper!
The outsidewas softer on mine than the inside.
I drilled from both sides until the drillbit gave up and than used a dremel with a diamant bit to open the hole.
Yes i know, diamant and steel do not mix, but it gave a faster result than a stone.
I think i was wise to take the caliper apart before grinding.