PDA

View Full Version : OA Steel?

smiller6912
03-22-2008, 12:17 PM
OK, I got a clue what O & A steels are but I have seen a listing of OA steel, and I can't figure out what that is. I've looked at the Machinery's handbook and done a google, and asked a few folks, but can't seam to find anything definitive. Would someone give me a clue.
I've heard: 1. Oil treated-Air hardening, 2. Oil hardening Air tempered, 3. Oil or Air hardening, & 4. machine in Oil and Air harden. Are any of these even close?

ehughes
03-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Hello smiller, Would be referring to types of tool steel, oil hardening & air hardening, named for the quenching medium used to harden them. Would also need to be tempered to remove enough brittleness so that they would be useful as tools or whatever. If you have a copy of Machinerys Handbook has a lot of info about these and other tool steels, or maybe google. Regards, Earl

SGW
03-22-2008, 04:07 PM
Just "O" or just "A," yes, but "OA" I have no idea.

smiller6912
03-22-2008, 05:05 PM
OK, let me rephrase this:
I've got the "O" & "A" part but the question that was posed to me is:
"On a steel information sheet, an "OA" after the number of the steel, designates what?"
1. Oil treated-Air hardening
2. Oil hardening Air tempered
3. Oil or Air hardening
4. machine in Oil and Air harden.
I have searched my Machinery's handbook, & Googled the heck out of every way that I could think of, and I still have no clue.