PDA

View Full Version : chip removal

denver high
03-23-2008, 03:49 PM
Has Anyone Out There Used The Blovac Reversal Guns
For Chip Suction And Disposal How Good Of A Job Do Thye Do ????

torker
03-23-2008, 04:02 PM
I don't know about that but I know I just bought one of those tin can type releasing magnet deals. That's the cats meow for cleaning almost all my junk.
Shoulda bought one a long time ago. Cost $8.
Bonus...the kid loves playing with it. Everytime he comes in the shop now he HAS to play..cleaning my lathe, mill, saws, etc.

Limy Sami
03-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Yes and best described as so - so, they also need a lot of air.

IOWOLF
03-23-2008, 04:37 PM
In my opinion they SUCK. No pun intended.

Rustybolt
03-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Unless you have a lot of shop air they're useful, but not nearly as good as a shop vac.

Forrest Addy
03-23-2008, 08:58 PM
A cheap home center 12 gallon 12 Amp shop vac is my fav xhip snuffer-up gadget. Works for all chips but snarly ones and when used with a brush getes even into those little crannies. Trouble is after a time the vac cannister gets too heavy to empty.

BTW, NEVER use shop air for machine cleaning. It blows the chips around and makes it all the more difficult to sweep them up. Also if you get the air blast too close to the ways you may blow grit and coolant past the wipers and chips onto the lead screws sticky with oil. Sweep or suck - or magnet pick-up. NEVER air. Pontificate off.

oldtiffie
03-23-2008, 11:38 PM
A cheap home center 12 gallon 12 Amp shop vac is my fav xhip snuffer-up gadget. ...............
Pontificate off.

So if your ShopVac had Value Added Tax (VAT) on it would that make it a "Vatican"?.

huntinguy
03-25-2008, 06:29 AM
They work ok, if you have enough air. :eek:

I used to cut the tube that goes into the bag off and use it to launch chips into the conveyor. That was my way of cleaning T slots. :D

HTRN
03-25-2008, 04:30 PM
What I like is the Shop Vac heads that can drop into any 55 gallon drum (http://www.mytoolstore.com/shopvac/heavy.html#9700610). Great for cleaning out VMC's without a chip auger, and when the drum is filled, simply plop the head onto the next chip drum. :)

HTRN

denver high
03-26-2008, 06:04 PM
estion about suction chip removall thank you

Frank Ford
03-26-2008, 07:25 PM
I dunno. We're each different in our ways of work, and we often find our own ways that may seem strange to others.

I've been a woodworker for so dang long, I just can't break myself from the habit of blowing chips and oil off with compressed air. I use it every day around my lathe and mill. Mostly, I blow off milling cutters and lathe tools before putting them back in the drawer. I have two air guns at the ready, one set at 40 lb. for general use on the machine, and a high pressure one for heavier blasting.

I do blow the machines all the time, too, and I absolutely never get any chips at all on the ways. I have my lathe and mill draped about like you would if you were grinding - rubber shrouds shield every moving surface:

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Machining/Magnets/DROShroud/droshroud18.jpg

They're mostly held in place with magnets, and when I pull a shroud back, there's hardly ever a chip on the mill way, and I have separate rubber shrouds over each of the DRO scales. It didn't take a lot of effort for me to set up this way, and I don't find the drapes limiting in any way. Over to the left, and slightly behind the machine, I have a clear vinyl curtain hanging, so when I blast the chips off the machine, they hit the curtain and drop to the floor for easy sweeping.