X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • airbrush
    • May 2006

The Shop Wisdon of series of books ...

There is a "Shop Wisdom of Frank McLean" and "Shop Wisdom of Phil Dulcos", and there a book with both in it, "Two shop masters.." that has articles from the same two people. Anyone know what's in these 3 books, Is there any overlap?
    ie, Would one be better off getting the book with both authors articles or are the contents different among all three?
    Thank you,
    James
  • JCHannum
    • Nov 2001

I have the Philip Duclos book and the Two Shop Masters book, there is no overlap between the two and I doubt any overlap from the Frank McClean book.

The Two Shop Masters book was written after the authors passed away, and included the articles they had written after the first two books had been published.
    Jim H.

Comment

• George Bulliss
      Administrator
      • Jan 2008

I just wanted to add that there is no overlap between the three books. Phil Duclos' book has 12 shop projects and techniques in it, as well as 8 engine projects.
      Frank McLean was a shop teacher, among other things, and his writing reflects it. Besides projects, he covers a wide variety of shop techniques.
      George
      Traverse City, MI

Comment

• Furnace
        • Jun 2005

I dont have an answer for your question, but I do have the Shop Wisdom of Frank McLean and love it. Has some neat shop tools and very helpful hints for beginners.

Comment

• lynnl
          • Jan 2002

I have most of all those Village Press hardback books, Shop Wisdom of..., Projects in Metal, Metalworking, etc..
          I've usually offered those as gift suggestions from the family members (Xmas, birthday, etc.). I've enjoyed them all, but I would say that the Philip Duclos Shop Wisdom book is probably my favorite.
          His projects are all interesting, pictures are superb, instructions very clear, and writing style makes the narrative fascinating. I would've liked to know the man.

I don't have the combined book of Duclos/McLean (Yet).
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

• airbrush
            • May 2006

Thank you for all the replies, now it looks like I gotta scape up some more money!
            James,

Comment

• bhjones
              • Jan 2006

I've been adding the hard bound books to my library one or two a month for a short while now. These things are great.
              Brett Jones...

Comment

• OLDHORSESHOE
                • Aug 2006

I also have most of the Village Press hard bound books. I like two of them not mentioned in this thread so far. The Steam and Stirling books and Randolph's Shop. I met Randolph at Cabin Fever in January and he told me that he has a second book coming out this year. I built a modified version of his band saw over the past year. I like his common sense approach to shop operations and I also enjoy his sense of humor.

Comment

• lugnut
                  • Sep 2004

I have just received my copy of The Shop Wisdom of Philip Duclos and I’m a happy camper for sure! WOW
                  One of the guys on another forum (HMEM) that I read daily, showed some photos and a video of the “Odds’n Ends Hit and Miss Engine” he had built using the plans from this book. It impressed me so much and I went in search of the book.
                  I tried to look for it here on HSM’s book store but all I got was a “Store Closed” I found a copy at Amazon. I will have to admit the price of the book stretched my Library budget to the limit ($42.00) but it’s worth every penny.
                  Even if I never build the Odds’n Ends Hit and Miss Engine, the rest of the information and techniques shown in this book are worth far more than the books cost.
                  Has any one tried the “floating” End Mill Sharpener?
                  The drawings, photos and instructions are great! I think even a “know nothing” ‘ wannabe” like me can build from this book. I know I will learn a bunch.
                  Back to the book now
                  Mel

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                  Oregon Coast

Comment

• JCHannum
                    • Nov 2001

I built the Odds & Ends engine. It served as a partial payment on my Rockwell milling machine. I also built the dividing head and several other projects in the book.

I did not do the endmill fixture, but it is a very worthwhile project as well. I rank Phil Duclos as among the greats of HSM, and that book plus the Two Shop Masters book among the best. The latter is the remaining articles Duclos and Frank McClean contributed before their passing.
                    Jim H.

Comment

• Al Messer
                      • Jun 2002

Does anyone have the "Shop Wisdom of Jesse Livingston"?

Comment

• JCHannum
                        • Nov 2001

I got it for X-mas last year. It is another good book. I have gotten away fron the live steam side of things for a while, and was not familiar with his articles. He has some nice projects and a basic approach to most of his work. He too uses barstock rather than castings for most of his engines.

It is a good book, but I don't think I would classify any of the VP books as bad or poor. They are all good values.
                        Jim H.

Comment

Working...
                        X