PDA

View Full Version : George Bulliss

IOWOLF
04-08-2008, 06:37 PM
Do we have a new moderator, has he introduced himself?

So how about an intrduction, and some backround.

IOWOLF
04-09-2008, 06:15 AM
bumping up.

JCHannum
04-09-2008, 08:09 AM
His name has been on the masthead the last few issues as Associate Editor. Neil is retiring shortly, perhaps he is Editor in Waiting?

George Bulliss
04-09-2008, 08:28 AM
Well, you found me. I guess that my lurking days are over. Jim guessed right, Neil is moving towards semi-retirement sometime this summer and Craig and I will be taking over for him.

I came to the magazine last November after a 15 year career as a mold maker. I went through an apprentice program in Rochester, New York and eventually moved back to Traverse City MI. I spent most my time programming and running vertical CNC mills. The last five years I was more evolved in EDM, grinding, final fit, and spotting of the tools. I always worked at small shops so I was able to do a little of everything, which kept things interesting. I enjoyed the work, but it is a tough way to make a living in Michigan these days.

I never planned on building up a home shop but now that I donít have access to all that nice equipment Iím thinking getting one set up, Iíll keep you posted.

George

JCHannum
04-09-2008, 10:15 AM
Welcome aboard George, we look forward to hearing from you.

Anyone interested in meeting George in person should plan on attending the NAMES show weekend after next. There are several other very good reasons for attending as well once the excitement of meeting George wears off.

IOWOLF
04-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Thank you George.

You might eventually want to open your mail box.

Mcgyver
04-09-2008, 12:59 PM
hi George, good to have you around

Alistair Hosie
04-09-2008, 01:12 PM
Welcome George neil was a very nice guy you've got big boots to fill welcome anyway kindest regards for your future .Alistair

clutch
04-09-2008, 03:09 PM
Well howdy from the future suburbs of Traverse City to the east. (hopefully NOT in my lifetime) :eek:

Clutch

C - ROSS
04-09-2008, 03:14 PM
George
Thanks for reporting in.

The bio. sounds good. As stated previously you have some big boots to fill.

Ross

George Bulliss
04-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Thanks for the welcome guys. I have heard the big boots thing more than a few times, I'll try but it might take awhile.

Clutch, I don't know how far east you are but the city sure is growing quick. I have sub-divisions springing up all around me.

Chipslinger
04-09-2008, 09:46 PM
This may explain some of the thread locks.

Welcome George.

IOWOLF
04-11-2008, 11:54 AM
This may explain some of the thread locks.

Welcome George.

Yea, It seems that anything I post in the last week has been locked.

I have been asked if George is a Nazi, gun hater, First amendment hater, or something along that line.

I hope this isn't the case, because I will keep him very busy, Till I am banned.

So please Back off a little, and for God sakes don't abuse the Job.

Weston Bye
04-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Back Off???

tattoomike68
04-11-2008, 12:42 PM
From now on the only gun talk will be about rubber band guns. LOL :p

http://www.youtube.com/v/z65iQ7_xUeo&hl

George Bulliss
04-11-2008, 01:52 PM
Ok Iowolf, Iíll respond.

So you think that I have been a little heavy handed lately? I have been doing this for five and a half months now. I think if you look back over this time you will see that I have been very tolerant of a variety of OT subjects and discussions. I have no problem with off topic discussions.

This weeks OT threads were different than most, they were nastier and began to dominate the board. I had hoped that the deletion and locking of the threads would serve as a hint to get back to making chips. Obviously there are some who require a more direct approach.

This board exists as a service to our subscribers and as a means of getting the Village Press name out there to both new and old members of the hobby. I will not let content that is likely to offend a large percentage of people to remain. We want the people who find this site to return.

There are three of use working on three magazines and several books. I really only have enough time during my day to sneak a glimpse of the site from time to time. My time is spent on getting the magazines and books out the door, moderating the board is a rather low priority task. Because of this we often leave the members to sort things out for themselves, which usually works.

My decision to lock or delete a thread has nothing to do with my personal views. I base my action on what I feel is best for Village Press and will continue to do so as long as I need a paycheck.

George Bulliss

IOWOLF
04-11-2008, 02:09 PM
How politically correct of you.:)

We as a group have worked out OUR differences long before you got here, and shall do so here forth.
Thank you for a wonderful explanation.

If you want to do well here, do as has been asked for years add an off topic forum, and a classified spot also.

sidegrinder
04-11-2008, 02:24 PM
I have to second the motion for a classified section--that would be great!

tattoomike68
04-11-2008, 03:14 PM

If you want to do well here, do as has been asked for years add an off topic forum, and a classified spot also.

I very good idea, chaski has a junk drawer and homemodelenginemachinist has The break room It works very well at keeping topics sorted in thier respective places.

The networking board could be renamed to resemble the off topic and third hand could become the classified spot (buy,sell,trade) . It seems they see little use anyway.

General (109 Viewing)
Networking (3 Viewing)
Third Hand (8 Viewing)

One vBulletin board I Admin has twice as many post as cnczone and 3 times what this board has and I always do my best to honor the request of the my active membership.

IOWOLF has a very valid request that would improve the quality of the content here by giving it its proper place rather then the lump of stuff we call General.

camdigger
04-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Typical.... Complaints that the FREE ice cream is cold....:rolleyes:

tattoomike68
04-11-2008, 03:43 PM
Typical.... Complaints that the FREE ice cream is cold....:rolleyes:

Its more like keep the majority happy or they take their clicks elsewhere.

Don't let a few thin skinned people with and inferiority complex dictated the content of the board is the point IOWOLF was trying to make.

mlucek
04-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Totally agree with some of the others here - George, please make a few new message sections - an O.T. area to keep the chip-making section more clutter-free and a classifieds area too. Moderate the chip-making section so that anything NOT related gets moved to the O.T. area. Like tattoomike says, works very well.

Only takes a few mouse clicks (I admin some vBulletin sites too) to set up new messages sections.

Also - a picture gallery would be great too ! Photopost or vBGallery or PhotoPlog are easy to set up. vBGallery integrates very nicely with vBulletin. Photopost is decent too, though doesn't have the same level of VB integration as vBGallery. PhotoPlog works very well with VB too !

Mike

rfrey
04-11-2008, 06:35 PM

We as a group have worked out OUR differences long before you got here, and shall do so here forth.
Thank you for a wonderful explanation.

In so far as "politics" is actions relating to the "polity" -- that is, anything to do with a community -- then it is indeed politically correct. This is a community, and the actions were correct.

There are many here who work out "our" differences with the resident bullies by simply not posting. If you choose to actively shut down rude and abusive posts, George, I think you'll find that there will eventually be more and better participation. Of course, you'll have a handful of furious adolescents calling you names.

IOWOLF
04-11-2008, 06:52 PM
In so far as "politics" is actions relating to the "polity" -- that is, anything to do with a community -- then it is indeed politically correct. This is a community, and the actions were correct.

There are many here who work out "our" differences with the resident bullies by simply not posting. If you choose to actively shut down rude and abusive posts, George, I think you'll find that there will eventually be more and better participation. Of course, you'll have a handful of furious adolescents calling you names.

With a post count of about 10 per year, we must have pi$$ed you off lots.
If you don't want to be an Active member here, leave the BIG decisions to the ones who are.

Go Lurk some more, please.

tattoomike68
04-11-2008, 07:12 PM

rfrey ,Join Date: Jul 2003

What the hell guy? you afraid to post or did you reboot an old computer and find the bookmark.

You dont post because someone might have something to say? Well, real world facts are not everyone agrees on how to mill a slot, drill a hole, bore a hole or turn a shaft. No one way is PERFECT.

Dont be that way, Dont be thin skinned at all,dont be shy, there are folks here who would make a part and mail it to you for nothing but good karma and the self satisfaction that they helped a fellow machinist.

Also on the point of moderation a heavy hand will snowball and go crazy, the hands off approach is always best. Dont kick a hornets nest. I admin too many sites to do it any other way.

My point is you dont have a clue about managing a message board..

rfrey
04-11-2008, 07:22 PM
If you don't want to be an Active member here, leave the BIG decisions to the ones who are.

The BIG decisions will be made by the owners of the board. That's not you. You're just a loudmouth blowhard.

I don't have time to be pissed off by abusive personalities on bulletin boards. I don't post often because it's not a welcoming place: it's a junior high school playground. I suspect there are many more who don't post but read because of the gems that appear from time to time.

OK, add me to your long list of hated personalities, spew some invective and enjoy yourself. Unlike Evan, I don't have the motivation to wrestle with a pig.

PTSideshow
04-11-2008, 07:32 PM
I am I missing something here:
This board is provide by The company Village press which is a printing and publishing company. A for profit company. As a service to it readers originally as a faster interactive means of swapping ideas.
I can remember a lot of the people that have used this board since I have been a member. That have bad mouthed the magazines they publish let alone every had a subscription to any of the magazines.
Also I understand that this is a time and money consuming part of their operation.
As a moderator on another board, I also under stand what a PIA a sale forum would be. As we constantly have to remove adverts from the system for all the stuff people buy on line:D
Let alone the geniuses that try to advertise their businesses. On the site under the guise of helping the poor uninformed masses.In every and any posts. Their name is the biz name the avatar is their logo, their tag line and sig are their biz name etc.
If any body is on some of the other sites they know the type.

As to a photo galley, there are any number of free photo sites that can be linked to with out the addition cost and upkeep of server space. Bandwidth useage

And before I get blasted the above is my OPINION. I'm not a plant or shill of the management. I do have a friend who works for the company but on another magazine.
:D

IOWOLF
04-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Seem you keep coming back to call me a few names, Yep Junior high.

tattoomike68
04-11-2008, 08:52 PM
The BIG decisions will be made by the owners of the board. That's not you. You're just a loudmouth blowhard.

I don't have time to be pissed off by abusive personalities on bulletin boards. I don't post often because it's not a welcoming place: it's a junior high school playground. I suspect there are many more who don't post but read because of the gems that appear from time to time.

OK, add me to your long list of hated personalities, spew some invective and enjoy yourself. Unlike Evan, I don't have the motivation to wrestle with a pig.

You seem to whine and cry like a little girl, you dont post here so you should take your tiny little fealings and and cry baby antics and whine somplace else MR DRAMA QUEEN..

Mad Scientist
04-11-2008, 09:16 PM

I whole heartily agree with this. I frequent a number of other forums and this is the only one that doeís not have an off-topic section. Which of course produces predictable results.
On one forum they even call it the ďwar roomĒ and unless one ďspecificallyĒ asks to be part of it, that thread is lock to them. That effectually keeps the faint of heart from accidentally viewing something that might offend them, and then having a tantrum.

Weston Bye
04-11-2008, 09:33 PM
I see no value in sponsoring a "romper room" for people who cannot carry on a civil discourse without name calling, bullying and belittling.

Like rfrey, I have no stomach for ongoing bickering, but must express my displeasure at the shabby treatment and rude manners directed toward George.

Evan
04-11-2008, 09:49 PM
The moderation on this board is very light handed compared to some I have frequented. Some of the more sophisticated and science oriented boards will not tolerate any name calling or insults directed at other members. The people that frequent this board are every bit as intelligent as those on boards that cater to university grads although most, including myself do not have a degree. However, there is a segment that are very intolerant of opposing viewpoints and really don't like it when certain cherished beliefs are challenged with facts.

I would be happy if posts such as "My President is dead" were immediately deleted as they serve to add nothing relevant to the content of this forum. However, as I have said, I won't sit still when BS is being spread thick.

You have a tough job ahead George. Good luck.

JRouche
04-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Yee-Haa!!! An electrified topic!! NOT Haaa. Its all good, I really love ALL the various personalities here, dont even mind the OT discussions and even the once in awhile mud slinging. Then again, Im not all that thin skinned so it just flows off my back like water off a ducks a$$..

But, I do have a problem with a verbal a$$shole digging at someone who may not be as forgiving. Many folks here are peaceful types and dont want to always hear the super negative comments and opinions of others.

They come here for a light hearted discussion of everything HSM. And they should be comfortable doing so and posting anything HSM without any fear of being ridiculed or put down for it.

And day in day out, that is the case here. Kinda what sets it apart from some of the other machining forums..

So, Mr. Bulliss, welcome, you are Im sure very preoccupied with the "real" business at hand, the paying job. Lesse, didja step up and say, sure, Ill look over the forum, when the round table was in session.. BAD on you LOL Just kiddin.. Never volunteer.. Kiddin again, its a thankless job no doubt so here, take a thanks from me. Not worth a whole lot cept maybe making a long time subscriber happy..

Oh, after some of that a$$ kissin I did, and really, it never happens.. A "Projects" sub forum would be great!!! Ok, I know, Ive blown this request into the dirt enough but my daddy always said persistence on the edge of annoyance will bring you far.. Am I annoying yet... DONT answer.. LOL

Belated welcome (5 mos huh?) and I love the site.. JR

rfrey
04-11-2008, 10:21 PM
I have no stomach for ongoing bickering, but must express my displeasure at the shabby treatment and rude manners directed toward George.

Exactly. Many of us prefer to simply avoid pointless confrontation. But there comes a point when a gentleman has to set aside preferences and raise a voice.

IOWolf started with an insulting tone, moved to vaguely threatening, then graduated to calling the new editor a Nazi. That's when even crybaby sissy girly lurkers such as myself should raise an objection.

There are several members here who fought real Nazis. I'm surprised they'd tolerate such blatant disrespect to their sacrifice.

George obviously doesn't require my assistance or support, although he has it. But it's not about that: it's about what a civilized man should tolerate without speaking up, even when the target of the violence is a stranger.

lazlo
04-11-2008, 10:28 PM

That's funny as Hell Wolfie! :D

oldtiffie
04-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Ok Iowolf, Iíll respond.

So you think that I have been a little heavy handed lately? I have been doing this for five and a half months now. I think if you look back over this time you will see that I have been very tolerant of a variety of OT subjects and discussions. I have no problem with off topic discussions.

This weeks OT threads were different than most, they were nastier and began to dominate the board. I had hoped that the deletion and locking of the threads would serve as a hint to get back to making chips. Obviously there are some who require a more direct approach.

This board exists as a service to our subscribers and as a means of getting the Village Press name out there to both new and old members of the hobby. I will not let content that is likely to offend a large percentage of people to remain. We want the people who find this site to return.

There are three of use working on three magazines and several books. I really only have enough time during my day to sneak a glimpse of the site from time to time. My time is spent on getting the magazines and books out the door, moderating the board is a rather low priority task. Because of this we often leave the members to sort things out for themselves, which usually works.

My decision to lock or delete a thread has nothing to do with my personal views. I base my action on what I feel is best for Village Press and will continue to do so as long as I need a paycheck.

George Bulliss

Hi George.

First of all, I thought I'd "quote" your post at:
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showpost.php?p=349238&postcount=16
just for reference.

Congratulations.

That spells out "the Rules of the Game" and your "firm but fair" approach for most instances and the "Rules of Engagement" to be applied with the "Iron fist in velvet glove" approach - if and as you decide are required.

You have dotted all of the "I"s and crossed all the "T"s.

You have implied/inferred that we are all an equal among equals, irrespective of time as a member or number of posts and whether or not we subscribe to Village Press's subscription program/s.

You have made it very clear that you have the full support of Village Press, that you will not "play favourites" or be intimidated and will act in the best interests of Village Press and to be as fair, firm and impartial as possible in the circumstances as they arise from time to time.

I really appreciate the "this is how it is and how its going to be guys - just as VP requires".

I base my action on what I feel is best for Village Press and will continue to do so as long as I need a paycheck.

Loved it!! Absolutely. The "if you don't like me or what I do - see my boss" approach.

I would very much like to see some or more of the "reader-non-participants" (I dislike the words "lurker" and "newbie" - and their inferenences) - that have never posted but "read" and some that I suspect have "tried the water" and got "blasted" or treated unjustly, either join or re-join the forum as active members. They need to be assured that they are welcome and that "Seniority" and "Number of posts" are directly related and that "Time as member" is just that - nothing more.

In closing, you post is just as has been the case with all of the Moderators from VP in my experience.

You don't have to fill anyone else's shoes. You are your own man under VP sponsorship.

Others may see it differently - as is their right - I do not speak for them - they can speak for themselves.

Some might like to "book-mark" your post for future reference:
http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showpost.php?p=349238&postcount=16

I, for one, realise and acknowledge that you are "in charge" and that your decisions and actions are as required by VP and must be acknowledged by all of us a condition of initial joining and on-going membership of this VP forum.

torker
04-11-2008, 11:14 PM
My take (fwiw).. I'm a world traveler.. who never got to travel. I do it here.
This is a very cool place. No matter what the discussion, I get to see/hear different viewpoints from all over the world. It still amazes me.
I learn so much here. The recent OT discussions.. I learned things about my own province that I had no idea about.
I think (oh gawd) that we as a bunch are pretty unique people.
We are tinkerers, builders and thinkers.
We question things. We are not sheep for the most part. We want to know how chit works.. we want to know why everything is anything.
We've learned to do many different things many ways.
I'm betting that most here are strongly opinionated.
Therefore we agree to disagree sometimes. That's what makes us who we are.
You want purely machinist's talk.. go to Chaski. OMG.. I hang out there a bit. The boredom kills me. I really like Harold over there but the place is so dead.
Here.. the place wouldn't be the same without Wolfie..David Cofer... Evan.. Ries.. JT.. JC...JR...Mo..Mikey.. My bud, weird and so many more.
Contrary to a statement that this is not a welcoming place.. Holy Crap...what do you want??? You gotta take the good with the bad, you gotta put up with wikpedia, don't read or participate in threads that bother you. How bloody hard is that to figure out?
I see something I don't like or am not interested in... it's a friggin no brainer... I don't read it or I don't post on the topic. I don't whine and cry about the thread. It's none of my business.
I think (oh here we go) that most OT stuff here is healthy. The world is one screwed up place right now and discussing it is good if you have an open mind.
Ya...this is a "machinists board". A real one concerning real lives.
I've learned more here about machining than I'd learn in a lifetime doing it on my own.
But I've also learned how to take care of a buggered back, Learned things about water wells and concrete. Learned about frozen dirt... good Lord it goes on and on.
I'm a HSM addict. My computer always has the General page up... nearly 24/7. I read over the topics everytime I come in the house for coffee or whatever.
I believe I have a lot of friends here.... never met them and prolly never will but they are my kind of people... the thinkers and the doers. The guys who don't take "You can't do that" as good enough.
So if you all want to lock up the OT threads all the time(because they may be a bit off beat) I think you may kill an important part of this place.
If the name calling is that big a problem.. I'll offer to chew out all offenders :D
Russ

torker
04-11-2008, 11:28 PM
BTW.. George, It was me who asked Jay if the new moderator was the "Threadlocker nazi". Got that saying from Seinfelt... "The Soup Nazi".
I'm pretty sure you had nothing to do with causing WWII so your off the hook there :D
Russ

TGTool
04-12-2008, 12:26 AM
I, for one, completely support what George is doing and how he's handling it. He's laid out an intelligent rationale for the decisions and I appreciate what VP is doing to host the site and manage it.

If everyone in society was decent, honest and fair we wouldn't need any laws spelling out what's right and wrong. Not everyone is, so the rule of law keeps a lid on it. This board is no different.

dp
04-12-2008, 12:45 AM

You have an incredible sense of entitlement and actually think you're an important contribution to this company's success path, and further, have convinced yourself what you think matters to anyone outside of your own skin. Your singular gift is that you have an uncommon ability to stun one's sensibilities. I've not met many so unaware of their own failings. Opening your posts is like watching for what the cat drags in except the cat is likeable. There seems to be no level of social offense you are incapable of and were it not for your fanboys flogging your ego you would be a solo act. A withering star dimming to black in your own moribund galaxy of angry pathos.

speedy
04-12-2008, 01:58 AM
Yawn. Same old BS, different thread. Been done before.
(reaches out and grabs another beer)
Hey Jay, you are part of the "topography" of this site. We should all know your delivery by now.

And welcome to you George.

Aint it great that we are not all a shade of grey?

Peter N
04-12-2008, 06:21 AM
FWIW my thoughts on this are similar to some and in opposition to others.

I like the brevity of this forum, and the fact that it doesn't have an endless selection of boards to post in.
To be honest most of what is posted in the "Third Hand" could be just as well suited to "General" and perhaps should go in there, and I think that particular section is a bit of a white elephant.
As such, I would support a move to change that area to one that is purely concerned with completed projects

OT posts – I seem to remember that there were far more OT posts a year or so ago and a fairly active discussion about them.
The membership appears to have been self-regulating is this aspect, and the current signal-to-noise ratio on this is fairly balanced, so I don’t think any actions are required here.
As far as an OT post room is concerned, my strong personal advice is don’t do it. I have been on other boards where this type of section has taken over as the most active of the lot with dire consequences.
Part of our nature results in views that are highly polarised at either end of the spectrum and I have seen this result in people leaving in disgust, friendships being broken, enemies made, and the usefulness of the entire forum badly affected and reduced to a mass of political and religious ramblings and personal attacks.

Forum personalities – well we have a pretty good mix here IMO, plenty of in-depth knowledge from many here and no lack of help for people new to the hobby, together with some sharp wit, some occasional caustic comments, and clever humour. To those who condemn the perhaps more frequently abrasive comments from people like IoWolf or the naked truth that David Cofer often posts (and perhaps many agree with without saying) I’d suggest that you just ignore them, it’s really not that hard to do.
Personally I think we need a bit of occasionally lively debate that they can provoke in order to get a necessary break from what is, let’s face it, a very lonely and intense occupation once we get closeted in the workshop.
I’m another addict to this forum and I eagerly read just about everyones posting on here, from the masterclass items to the newbie questions, and I would like to think that this forum has provided me with a number of new friends, both real and virtual.
With regard to moderation I think that there has been and is a very light hand here, and the intervention in most cases is quite appropriate.

So on the whole, apart from a project specific area, I think this place and the people who post here have got it just about right, and I would hate to see too much change.

Peter

IOWOLF
04-12-2008, 07:55 AM
I, for one, completely support what George is doing and how he's handling it. He's laid out an intelligent rationale for the decisions and I appreciate what VP is doing to host the site and manage it.

If everyone in society was decent, honest and fair we wouldn't need any laws spelling out what's right and wrong. Not everyone is, so the rule of law keeps a lid on it. This board is no different.

Can YOU imagine a utopia type world where everyone got along?

Our younger members have no Idea what the world is like out there,It certainly isn't paved with gold, Where everyone gets along, money grows on trees, and everyone gets a lollipop when they go to the Doctor.

Nope, there are scary things out there like Crackheads, gun lovers, Gun haters, Democrats , Republicans, Over charging Machinists,and welders, and the worst are People that Whine about everything from the tone of someones voice, to Typing Police, to Bill non payers.

This is part opinion,part FACT, You decide which is which and keep it to yourself.

IOWOLF
04-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Yawn. Same old BS, different thread. Been done before.
(reaches out and grabs another beer)
Hey Jay, you are part of the "topography" of this site. We should all know your delivery by now.

And welcome to you George.

Aint it great that we are not all a shade of grey?

Living in a Black and White world would suck, don't you think?:D

John Stevenson
04-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Nope, there are scary things out there like Crackheads, gun lovers, Gun haters, Democrats , Republicans, Over charging Machinists,and welders, and the worst are People that Whine about everything from the tone of someones voice, to Typing Police, to Bill non payers.

Yes but what we should be asking is what speeds and feeds we need to use to remove the bulk of them ?

And then the burning question is HSS or Carbide ?

Weston Bye
04-12-2008, 09:15 AM
When my children were in high school, there was a particularly obnoxious teacher in a position where everyone had to take his class. They came home complaining, and while their complaints were valid, there was nothing to do. Even the school board was at a loss. The best face I could put on it was to tell them that there were jerks out there in the real world and this was just training for the real world and in a few months they would never have to deal with that idiot again.

The difference was that they had to be there - nobody has to be here.

When a person told Groucho Marx "I didn't come here to be insulted", Groucho replied "yeah, where do you usually go?" Humerous and entertaining in the movies, but out of place here.

Sparky_NY
04-12-2008, 09:18 AM
I closely followed the president dead thread, made a few posts and found it quite interesting.

I think George did A OK. Both sides of the issue got to post in that lengthy thread before it eventually got closed. I don't see where closing the thread puts George on one side or the other of the debate. More than fair time was given to the thread before the plug was pulled. Most forums would have closed and deleted a OT thread of that intensity fast.

As for IOWolf, and back to machining topics, he certainly has a set of brass b$lls for attacking a site moderator the way it was done. Most sites would be hitting the "ban member" button for such things. He is lucky this site is so tolerant.

Lastly, Welcome George. Nice to meet one of the people behind the scenes. So far, it appears your doing a fine job.

rfrey
04-12-2008, 09:32 AM
And then the burning question is HSS or Carbide ?

HSS, please. I find a slice heals faster.

QSIMDO
04-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Well...I'll be damned.
I guess I HAVE learned some things in life after all!
Such as, if it hurts, don't do it.
If it doesn't interest me, move along.
People are entitled to and will have their own opinions and I'm not overly compelled to change that.
Wheat and chaff will always be together and the more you screw with something the greater the chance of ruining it totally.

I come here to learn about subjects that interest me from people who have more experience in those areas.

Life subjects?
I have my own beliefs but keep an open ear.
Ignorance and mis-information just mean you have to keep BOTH ears open and learn more about what you need for YOUR life.

I understand my beliefs and reluctance to bore people with them also keeps me on the periphery of certain groups.
So be it.
At our ages I know I'm not going to change anyones' mind anyway and bless you all for your differences!

rfrey
04-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Such as, if it hurts, don't do it.
If it doesn't interest me, move along.

I couldn't agree more, QSIMDO. I enjoy OT threads and wouldn't change that. I personally don't care if people argue gun control all week or throw insults at each other. Like a car wreck, nobody forces me to look.

My intent was not to challenge OT threads or anything else. I simply saw a shocking and unprovoked attack on the new editor and didn't want him to think everyone here thought the same way.

PTSideshow
04-12-2008, 11:49 AM
he certainly has a set of brass b$lls for attacking a site moderator the way it was done.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d200/ptsideshow/DSCF9170.jpg
Couldn't find the set of brass ones will copper do?:D

Mad Scientist
04-12-2008, 12:18 PM
I see something I don't like or am not interested in... it's a friggin no brainer... I don't read it or I don't post on the topic. I don't whine and cry about the thread. It's none of my business.(emphases added)

Why is it that some here are having such an incredibly difficult time understanding this extremely simple concept?

Also if OTís are so universally frowned on and loathed, as we are apparently lead to believe, then why then do they frequently have some of the highest counts for viewing?

Tinkerer
04-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Welcome George. If you've been at the switch for the past 5.5 months... I'd say you and Neil have a similar style in Moderation of this forum.
Couldn't find the set of brass ones will copper do?:D Glen... although copper is similar in color they are softer and will deform easier when pressure is applied. Brass may take the higher pressures without deforming but can crack at times.;)

IOWOLF
04-12-2008, 12:39 PM
Why is it that some here are having such an incredibly difficult time understanding this extremely simple concept?

Also if OTís are so universally frowned on and loathed, as we are apparently lead to believe, then why then do they frequently have some of the highest counts for viewing?

And Postings.:rolleyes: :D

IOWOLF
04-12-2008, 12:42 PM
Welcome George. If you've been at the switch for the past 5.5 months... I'd say you and Neil have a similar style in Moderation of this forum. Glen... although copper is similar in color they are softer and will deform easier when pressure is applied. Brass may take the higher pressures without deforming but can crack at times.;)

Yep I will stick with my brass ones.:)

rfrey
04-12-2008, 12:49 PM

OT threads are a side issue. My issue was IOWOLF greeting the new editor by calling him a nazi and telling him he'd keep at him until he was banned.

Welcome aboard, George.

Incidentally, why is it that IOWOLF's, um, 'opinions' are diversity, but criticisms of IOWOLF are whining and attempts at censorship?

IOWOLF
04-12-2008, 12:59 PM
OT threads are a side issue. My issue was IOWOLF greeting the new editor by calling him a Nazi and telling him he'd keep at him until he was banned.

Welcome aboard, George.

Incidentally, why is it that IOWOLF's, um, 'opinions' are diversity, but criticisms of IOWOLF are whining and attempts at censorship?

That would be between George and I, and has nothing to do with you.

I will thank you in advance to keep YOUR nose out of it.

You really must be passionate about this ,You have posted more to this thread than any other since you signed up.

Michael Edwards
04-12-2008, 01:14 PM
You have an incredible sense of entitlement and actually think you're an important contribution to this company's success path, and further, have convinced yourself what you think matters to anyone outside of your own skin. Your singular gift is that you have an uncommon ability to stun one's sensibilities. I've not met many so unaware of their own failings. Opening your posts is like watching for what the cat drags in except the cat is likeable. There seems to be no level of social offense you are incapable of and were it not for your fanboys flogging your ego you would be a solo act. A withering star dimming to black in your own moribund galaxy of angry pathos.

Well said Dennis. As far as posted elsewhere, about brass balls, what a joke that is. Insulting a new moderator or someone else in about half of your posts doesn't mean you have brass balls, it means your core composition is a few inches further back. I thought this was a site about machining not politics, religion, blah blah blah. I'm sure there a a lot of bb out there that cater to that. Flame away, I can take it. ;)

ME

IOWOLF
04-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Well said Dennis. As far as posted elsewhere, about brass balls, what a joke that is. Insulting a new moderator or someone else in about half of your posts doesn't mean you have brass balls, it means your core composition is a few inches further back. I thought this was a site about machining not politics, religion, blah blah blah. I'm sure there a a lot of bb out there that cater to that. Flame away, I can take it. ;)

ME

You know, Everyone is entitled to there opinion.:rolleyes:

IOWOLF
04-12-2008, 01:46 PM
http://www.richardfrey.com/

Perhaps we will be a song someday.:rolleyes:

speedsport
04-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Jay and I have been together for awhile now. Luv ya....

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r22/speedsport_photo/P3270114.jpg

IOWOLF
04-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Speed, I knew that sealion had a camera. ;)

It was very cold that day as I recall.

speedsport
04-12-2008, 02:08 PM
Speed, I knew that sealion had a camera. ;)

It was very cold that day as I recall.

Leann does look like a Sealion doesn't she.

IOWOLF
04-12-2008, 02:17 PM
Leann does look like a Sealion doesn't she.

Only on a good day, why do you think you were there?:D

rfrey
04-12-2008, 02:21 PM
That would be between George and I, and has nothing to do with you.

You're the one who made it public. Then bumped it when nobody bit. You want it private or not?

I will thank you in advance to keep YOUR nose out of it.

Why did you make it public then? So everybody could see how brave you are?

You really must be passionate about this ,You have posted more to this thread than any other since you signed up.

That again? Better no posts at all than 50,000 posts berating others. You must care more than you let on if you googled 'frey' until you found somebody with a name starting with R. Richard is some other guy, by the way: my name is Rod.

But fine: I'm done.

IOWOLF
04-12-2008, 02:23 PM
It's about time,ROD.

dp
04-12-2008, 02:36 PM
You're the one who made it public. Then bumped it when nobody bit. You want it private or not?

Interesting how right there he made up a new BBS rule for others to follow. We have to add irrational to his afflictions.

Why did you make it public then? So everybody could see how brave you are?

His megalomania has allowed him to elevate himself to co-moderator of this BBS. Won't belong until his various derangements urge him to demand back pay for his work supporting the company. I expect he will, like a cowbird, attempt to shove his fellow moderator out of the nest. In fact he's already made the first attempt and failed.

IOWOLF
04-12-2008, 03:12 PM
Interesting how right there he made up a new BBS rule for others to follow. We have to add irrational to his afflictions.

His megalomania has allowed him to elevate himself to co-moderator of this BBS. Won't belong until his various derangements urge him to demand back pay for his work supporting the company. I expect he will, like a cowbird, attempt to shove his fellow moderator out of the nest. In fact he's already made the first attempt and failed.

You know, Everyone is entitled to there opinion.:rolleyes:

Chipslinger
04-12-2008, 03:21 PM
If I may interupt for a second, Why isnt this post being locked?

It seems like wolf is being picked on ,and called names. Not that he doesnt deserve it,sometimes. But does it have to include guns or Canada to get locked?

Or does the Moderator get the weekend off?

dirt machinest
04-12-2008, 03:26 PM
SIGHHH! Boring, Mr. IOWOLF allthough none of the above has anything to do with me, I am starting to doubt the second part of your signature line, Mr. Bulliss recently provided me with some information I requested thru Village Press and was most helpfull, If we don't like how the board is run well I guess we can go elsewhere. This muti page thread has accomplished nothing that I can see, And should I really need name calling and childish behavior I can always tune into the wrestling channel on t.v. That is not why I come here

PETE

Evan
04-12-2008, 04:00 PM
Wolfie, it's about time you did a thread on machining. You know what I mean, the sort of thread that includes making big pieces of metal into smaller ones.

John Stevenson
04-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Wolfie, it's about time you did a thread on machining. You know what I mean, the sort of thread that includes making big pieces of metal into smaller ones.

LOL...........

IOWOLF
04-12-2008, 04:21 PM

No, I don't know what you mean.
Perhaps you should post a few more projects. The reason I say this is because you must be here on this lowly off topic thread Because you run out of Fan mail to read.

Peter N
04-12-2008, 05:07 PM

Nice one Evan:D

Now wheres Tiffie when you need a quote from wikipedia on the correct method of calling for a thread lock?:) :)

Peter

Weston Bye
04-12-2008, 05:38 PM
http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/007934/007934027100md.jpg

speedsport
04-12-2008, 06:05 PM
I think he should get banned here. Maybe we should have a vote?

IOWOLF
04-12-2008, 06:21 PM
You think I should be Banned?

dp
04-12-2008, 06:24 PM
It seems like wolf is being picked on ,and called names.

Oh my God, that poor little man. Who are these thugs and what would motivate them to do such a thing?

I shall light a candle.

lazlo
04-12-2008, 06:26 PM
There was a thread here awhile back wondering why the vast majority of the people registered on this forum don't post.

From my completely unscientific sampling of 12 - 15 home-shop machinists that I know in real-life, most of whom have machinist skills far surpassing mine, none of them post here, citing reasons exemplified by this thread: constant bickering, strange little cliques, abundant personal attacks, and frequent bouts of megalomania.

Nothing is going to change, but don't kid yourselves with the occasional "Come On Newbies -- Post!" thread that shows up here: the lurkers aren't posting because they don't want to wade through the sh!t to get to the occasional gem of a post from John, Forrest, Frank Ford, Marv, Lane, ...

John Stevenson
04-12-2008, 06:51 PM
There was a thread here awhile back wondering why the vast majority of the people registered on this forum don't post.

From my completely unscientific sampling of 12 - 15 home-shop machinists that I know in real-life, most of whom have machinist skills far surpassing mine, none of them post here, citing reasons exemplified by this thread: constant bickering, strange little cliques, abundant personal attacks, and frequent bouts of megalomania.

Nothing is going to change, but don't kid yourselves with the occasional "Come On Newbies -- Post!" thread that shows up here: the lurkers aren't posting because they don't want to wade through the sh!t to get to the occasional gem of a post from John, Forrest, Frank Ford, Marv, Lane, ...

This is what you want.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/ignore.jpg

Solves all your problems......:D.

ScottM
04-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Lazlo,
you forgot bigotry.

A.K. Boomer
04-12-2008, 06:58 PM
This is what you want.

http://www.stevenson-engineers.co.uk/files/ignore.jpg

Its good SJ, but its still an annoying little reminder that he's still alive --- so much nicer If George would just give em the axe, someone drag that clown pic of him up again, that always shuts his pud hole for awhile...

lazlo
04-12-2008, 07:05 PM
This is what you want.

I wasn't directing that comment at IOWolf -- just relaying feedback from the silent masses about how the board, in general, is perceived.

I agree with Wolfie's sentiment to just ignore posts that annoy you, but a lot of folks would rather not participate at all, if that's the price of admission.

topct
04-12-2008, 07:17 PM
I do not want IOWOLF banned from this site.

I actually believe he is a good stinker. :D

oldtiffie
04-12-2008, 07:23 PM
Nice one Evan:D

Now wheres Tiffie when you need a quote from wikipedia on the correct method of calling for a thread lock?:) :)

Peter

Thanks Peter.

Your wish is my command.

Couldn't do better than this at short notice.

Sorry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=thread+lock&fulltext=Search

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=lock+thread&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Wes1's post was marvelous. The inferences that I was able to draw from it (I am NOT saying that Wes1 meant the same as my inferences - at all) were huge.

http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/007934/007934027100md.jpg
- stick this up ya (??? .......................... fill in to suit yourself);
- lock jaw;
- pic of Moderator - with threat implied (with cap on) and in thread-lock mode (with cap off).
- "squeeze" (or massage) the Moderator at your own risk and peril;
- its the Moderator's way (or the Highway??);
- this or a drill and ream out with a re-screw and a BIG "Heli-coil" inserted (left-hand thread optional).
- etc. etc.

oldtiffie
04-12-2008, 07:47 PM
I wasn't directing that comment at IOWolf -- just relaying feedback from the silent masses about how the board, in general, is perceived.

I agree with Wolfie's sentiment to just ignore posts that annoy you, but a lot of folks would rather not participate at all, if that's the price of admission.

Thanks lazlo.

You have moved up a rung or two haven't you? It seems that you have interviewed many or most of the "silent masses" and have either been appointed by them - or appointed yourself - as spokesman for them.

If that is the case, is it reasonable or implicit that any communication to or from those "silent masses" must be directed to or through you?

Frankly, I'd rather that they speak for them selves as there is no impediment to them doing just that so far as I am aware.

I tried to find and go to one of those "masses" once - dead loss (as you'd expect) as I got neither an invitation, admission nor absolution - just the "Big A").

But on reflection, is it any wonder?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=absolution&fulltext=Search

Do you think it is because I am one of the "great unwashed"? The "Hoi polloi" perhaps?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?search=great+unwashed&fulltext=Search

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoi_polloi

dp
04-12-2008, 07:58 PM
I do not want IOWOLF banned from this site.

I actually believe he is a good stinker. :D

I don't think it's the board op's job to do anything about iowolf - it's iowolf's job to grow up. I also think the window of opportunity for that closed long ago. It isn't unreasonable for there to be a price one pays for the luxury of being an asshat in a public forum.

lazlo
04-12-2008, 08:00 PM
It seems that you have interviewed many or most of the "silent masses" and have either been appointed by them - or appointed yourself - as spokesman for them.

Nope, no appointment Tiffie -- just relaying what a lot of silent (i.e., non-posting) members are saying. The same sentiments are reported back from NAMES each year. If you don't like it, you know what to do (and I don't mean look for answers on Wikipedia ;) ).

oldtiffie
04-12-2008, 08:44 PM
Deleted - duplicate post - see next post

oldtiffie
04-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Nope, no appointment Tiffie -- just relaying what a lot of silent (i.e., non-posting) members are saying. The same sentiments are reported back from NAMES each year. If you don't like it, you know what to do (and I don't mean look for answers on Wikipedia ;) ).

Err - you mean that I should use it as a suppository?

Getting it in is not a problem - but keeping it in sure is!!!

I must get my Urologist to check - just in case its already happened - when I have my next "examination" (DRE) - can't wait!!!.

Note to self: make sure Urologist is using correct "way oil".

lazlo
04-12-2008, 09:11 PM

Actually no Tiff, I didn't mean anything so crude -- I was referring to IOWolf/John's suggestion of ignoring it. But in retrospect, the suppository sounds good too :)

A.K. Boomer
04-12-2008, 09:14 PM
I don't think it's the board op's job to do anything about iowolf - it's iowolf's job to grow up. I also think the window of opportunity for that closed long ago. It isn't unreasonable for there to be a price one pays for the luxury of being an asshat in a public forum.

A simple little rule like in order to stay here you have to at least once in awhile contribute something so others could learn from --- even a statement of somekind -- that would be the end for the Jackal --- over 4,700 posts and nobodys learned anything.:(

oldtiffie
04-12-2008, 09:27 PM

Actually no Tiff, I didn't mean anything so crude -- I was referring to IOWolf/John's suggestion of ignoring it. But in retrospect, the suppository sounds good too :)

Well if you think it sounds good, I can assure that it feels even better.

I go to my Urologist just as often as I can!!!!

(Ex Navy - and we all know what sailors are!!!).

And because I'm a Veteran, our Department of Veteran's Affairs (DVA) pays for it 100% and even pays me traveling and meal expenses when I go!!!

Its better than poking around on eBay!!!

And doncha love the title: "Department of Veteran's Affairs" - love that Government - looks after all our "Affairs" - I wish - bit late for that now tho'.

lane
04-12-2008, 09:35 PM
It takes two to argue.If you just ignore the trouble makers they will go elsewhere. (Just a thought). LANE.

oldtiffie
04-12-2008, 09:43 PM

A simple little rule like in order to stay here you have to at least once in awhile contribute something so others could learn from --- even a statement of somekind -- that would be the end for the Jackal --- over 4,700 posts and nobodys learned anything.:(

Hi Boomer.

You're gunna luv this - and its all on Wikipedia - even better.

IOWOLF gets a (sort of?) "mention".

EthIOpian WOLF is a Jackal: - check it out!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackal

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethiopian_wolf

tattoomike68
04-12-2008, 09:51 PM
This video of two old ladies fighting reminds me of this site. :p

http://www.youtube.com/v/tncpnlqbqh0

oldtiffie
04-12-2008, 10:12 PM
This video of two old ladies fighting reminds me of this site. :p

http://www.youtube.com/v/tncpnlqbqh0

Thanks TM68 - truly.

I was looking everywhere for that uTube file after it appeared here on a thread that was deleted. Wolfie and I were "featured" in THAT thread too as well as I recall.

Those two old girls are me and my twin sister - to a "T" just in case nobody/anybody didn't make the connection!!!

And you should see what I've got in my hand-bag!!!

J Tiers
04-12-2008, 10:18 PM
I happen to be a moderator on some other forums elsewhere.

I would have locked, or probably deleted this thread long ago, because it is just plain not worth anything........ it isn't even an argument about machinery or techniques, aside from a few 'tools" that may be involved........

Since it ISN"T locked yet, I'd rate the moderation as fairly liberal.

It would also be easy to simply ban a few people, which would make moderation a lot easier. I notice that hasn't been done...... Again, hardly heavy moderation.....

Mebbe quit whining?

speedy
04-12-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm sure that George can look after himself. Judging by the length of this topic(?) he appears to be a moderate moderator.

I'm waiting for the part where we all kiss and make up then walk off, hand in hand, into that lovely sunset.

lazlo
04-12-2008, 10:39 PM
I'm waiting for the part where we all kiss and make up then walk off, hand in hand, into that lovely sunset.

I've seen your picture Speedy -- I'm not doing the kissing part ;)

speedy
04-12-2008, 10:54 PM
You're alright with the holding hands part though?? (crossing fingers in anticipation) ;)

dp
04-12-2008, 11:06 PM
I'm sure that George can look after himself. Judging by the length of this topic(?) he appears to be a moderate moderator.

Mebbe we should start each thread with a good haka :)

oldtiffie
04-12-2008, 11:50 PM

I'm waiting for the part where we all kiss and make up then walk off, hand in hand, into that lovely sunset..

Mebbe we should start each thread with a good haka :)

Don't you believe it!!

Have you seen what those Kiwi's (NZ-ers) do to you on the sports field after they start it all off with a haka??

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=squirrel+grip

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=squirrel+grip&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Not a pretty sight.

dp
04-13-2008, 12:29 AM
Don't you believe it!!

Have you seen what those Kiwi's (NZ-ers) do to you on the sports field after they start it all off with a haka??

Not a pretty sight.
:)

Not all haka are war haka but they are probably the most entertaining. Pacific Islanders have a very good notion that is part of the language and culture. In Hawaii it is kakou which means "all of us". Aloha kakou means literally, aloha to us all. Very inclusive. Another is ohana which I think is a beautiful word that means family. But family in the Pacific is somwhat different. To be considered ohana to islanders is a high honor - you are considered family. Again, very inclusive. And there is through out the Pacific the notion of kama aina, a Hawaiian word that means "of the land". This is the most inclusive of all. It means you are accepted as an islander, indistinguishable, socially, from native islanders.

Of course in the old days with the Maori, your place at the dinner table was frequently in the center of it, on a spit, but times have changed :)

oldtiffie
04-13-2008, 12:37 AM
:)

Not all haka are war haka but they are probably the most entertaining. Pacific Islanders have a very good notion that is part of the language and culture. In Hawaii it is kakou which means "all of us". Aloha kakou means literally, aloha to us all. Very inclusive. Another is ohana which I think is a beautiful word that means family. But family in the Pacific is somwhat different. To be considered ohana to islanders is a high honor - you are considered family. Again, very inclusive. And there is through out the Pacifice the notion of kama aina, a Hawaiian word that means "of the land". This is the most inclusive of all. It means you are accepted as an islander, indistinguishable, socially, from native islanders.

Of course in the old days with the Maori, your place at the dinner table was frequently in the center of it, on a spit, but times have changed :)

Hi Dennis.

I think there are nearly as many Kiwi's here in OZ as there are in NZ - big buggers too!!! Cook Islanders included!!

You are very au fait with Polynesian, Micronesian and Melanesian and Pacific Island and similar cultures - how's that?

speedy
04-13-2008, 12:53 AM
:)Of course in the old days with the Maori, your place at the dinner table was frequently in the center of it, on a spit, but times have changed :)

When the Moa were all gone, there is no sheep or beef farming yet, you have to get your protein somewhere:D
High in iron, zinc, and vitamin B12 (?)

dp
04-13-2008, 01:06 AM
Hi Dennis.

I think there are nearly as many Kiwi's here in OZ as there are in NZ - big buggers too!!! Cook Islanders included!!

You are very au fait with Polynesian, Micronesian and Melanesian and Pacific Island and similar cultures - how's that?
I grew up in Hawaii in the 1950's before moving to California. I loved it there and kept up my interest in the Pacific island cultures all these years. The school I went to was very big on teaching the importance of preserving the history as accurately as possible at a time when tourism was focusing on Hula girls and loud shirts. One of the great things about living in Washington State is that we have a very large Polynesian population and several Hula Halaus (schools for Hula. Hula is much more than dance) and frequent kanikapila (musical jams) and cultural events.

And my radio dial is set to IRH.com.

There is a town in Washington called Kalama and is named for John Kalama, a Hawaiian, who in the 1800's fled to the northwest to escape arrest in Hawaii. He took up with an Indian tribe and married into it, finally becoming a chieftan. What ever problems he had in Hawaii he corrected in his new ohana, and Kalama is named for him. There are cross-cultural events there each summer that celebrate the merger of cultures.

Further east in Idaho there are a number of local features that are named Owyhee including a river and an entire county. Named for Hawaiians who came to the area to help explore and open up the northwest territories.

Charles Lindburgh is buried on the island of Maui at Kipahulu - a place he and I would agree is as close to perfect as a place can be, though more perfect in his time than mine.

BTW, the sig in Speedy's posts:

He aha te mea nui o te ao?
He tangata! He tangata! He tangata!

translates coursely to "What is the single most important thing? The people, the people, the people." but more accurately I think, the ohana.

So I wonder if I've brought enough Kumbaya to the thread to salvage it? :)

dp
04-13-2008, 01:06 AM
When the Moa were all gone, there is no sheep or beef farming yet, you have to get your protein somewhere:D

Yep - and brain comes in it's own boiling pot!

oldtiffie
04-13-2008, 02:44 AM

Sad that Ken.

What was wrong with eating the Brits? Yeah, I know - same here!!! Not good as "long pig"?
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=long+pig&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

I thought we big-hearted people from OZ exported some "protein" - to EnZed - can't remember what it was though - possums? wombats (eats, roots and leaves), rabbits ("under-ground mutton").

You might have been more grateful though!!

I won't mention sheep - oops.

But seriously, despite what it may look like to others we get on very well in OZ and NZ, but can't resist the temptation to "have a dig" at each other.

oldtiffie
04-13-2008, 03:15 AM
I grew up in Hawaii in the 1950's before moving to California. I loved it there and kept up my interest in the Pacific island cultures all these years. The school I went to was very big on teaching the importance of preserving the history as accurately as possible at a time when tourism was focusing on Hula girls and loud shirts.

.................................................. .

BTW, the sig in Speedy's posts:

He aha te mea nui o te ao?
He tangata! He tangata! He tangata!

translates coursely to "What is the single most important thing? The people, the people, the people." but more accurately I think, the ohana.

So I wonder if I've brought enough Kumbaya to the thread to salvage it? :)

Thanks Dennis - very much appreciated.

You have had a very fortunate and fulfilling life - and appreciate it - a rare combination.

I "Googled" Peter's "tag" and got the results you anticipated. It has to be one of the best tags on this forum - very touching - seriously.

I hope you have brought enough "Kumbaya" - it needs lots of it!!
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=kumbaya&spell=1

I smiled when I saw that a Reverend Marvin V. Frey is credited with the composing "Kumbaya"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumbaya
as I am more accustomed (and prefer) the "other" - ie "(af)fray" - as perhaps you've noticed.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=affray&btnG=Search&meta=

IOWOLF
04-13-2008, 08:59 AM
By all means Vote.

You guys are like a bunch of old hens,:)You know who you are.
You whine about me posting off topic, but Fan the fire when it serves you.
I may post some off topic stuff, But I don't post 4 to 6 random Links per post( which can be really annoying also ).

The now Infamous "My President is dead" post went south Quick, But as long as people have different opinions there will be discussions like that.It wasn't meant to offend anyone.
Why Some who live outside the U.S. needed to jump into the frey Is beyond me, This offends me. It would be like me jumping in on a discussion on Jet engines or Jihad.
I will apologies to those I have offended by voicing my opinion on Gun control, WHEN HELL FREEZES OVER.:mad:

This is Me, Like it or not I am here, I don't plan on leaving soon, I like it here, I do have a few friends here(my choice of words)

I have been banned here before, for posting to AK's post with an opinion, and he Cried to Craig.

If the majority wants me to leave thats fine,Take an OPEN vote, but I don't think it is up to One man with A whole 5 months on the job, or a few with a chip on there shoulder.

Flame away.

C - ROSS
04-13-2008, 09:16 AM
Hey Wolf

I for one like you.

Ross

Peter N
04-13-2008, 09:32 AM
I'd vote for Wolfie to stay.
I don't agree with much of what he posts, but I do find his non-PC attitude quite refreshing.
I'd even vote for Millman to come back in, as I still want to hear about his vaunted but-not-revealed centre height finding method :D

Peter

PTSideshow
04-13-2008, 09:57 AM
Why you need to do this stirring of the pot all the time. Is beyond me, People that I have meet from this board have said that you aren't the A$$ you pretend to be on this forum in face to face. Some probably are re thinking those statements.

There are plenty of other boards out there for your opinions.
I have wondered where the regulars that use to attend this forum have gone. Just way to drama and not enough interesting postings on useful subjects.

Well I have talked to somebody on another forum and they stated that this is why they aren't around and why a couple of others started another forum.

This forum is a loss leader for the publishing company it takes money and time from their bottom line.
If they close this it wouldn't surprise me in the least.

You didn't really start stirring till after all the moderators left their day jobs,for the week end!
And yes this forum moderation is part of their day job. At times there are 10 regulars on line here and a 120 plus guests.

After the silly picture with its innuendo. You and the poster should be voted off the island. As you talk about others growing up.

If the guests and members of this forum want to vote they should use the little triangle device at the upper right side of posting box, that is used for spam and other stuff. To alert the people in charge about what they find objectionable.

This forum is a privately owned site with the right to keep you off for any reason they choose or anybody else for that matter. Why do you not see that this is a for profit business.

If the people start contacting them and saying I want my money back or I will never subscribe to your magazines. How long do you think you will last. Or if you would be let back.

You enjoy the aggravation you can stir up. You wouldn't want your children or grand children to read your trash talking.

Shame on you. And don't count on the same number of friends here as you started with. And it is to bad as on occasion you did have something interesting to post but it has dwindle to zero.

And Man everybody that ever has been on here knows your OPINION on guns. Get a grip most here or overseas DON'T CARE.

Besides you never heard "that opinions are like solid waste elimination orifices, everybody has one. And they all carry the same weight"

Besides something you guys may not have thought of. Next weekend Is the NAMES expo. Village Press people will be there in person and anybody can walk up and can express their thoughts in person.Your voting in the open, only you won't be there. Maybe Mr Bayliss will be there, but you wouldn't get in his face in person.

IOWOLF
04-13-2008, 10:12 AM
I guess that is your Opinion, and now we know what it is worth.:D

You make very good Points, But as far as someone leaving, we lost quite a few when the board changed, and shortly after , Adrian took his Following with him, That site is a Graveyard on a good day. But our site is a better place for it.

And I was called a Blow hard.:rolleyes:

George Bulliss
04-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Hi guys, here is my last post to this thread.

I kept a low profile for several months, figuring that my participation would only serve to increase my work load. I guess I was right on that one. I enjoy this site very much and it has been difficult to stay out of some of the discussions. Being a flight instructor, the indicated airspeed thread was particularly hard to keep out of.

Of course I am a part of things now, like it or not. Having a new name associated with the moderation sure has caused a reaction. The thread I locked on Wednesday was not my first, just the first that someone could tie my name to. Of course there were others that I locked on that day, but they were simply continuations of the original thread. I would think that if someone walked past a locked thread to continue the same content in a new one, they would not be too surprised to find the new thread locked also. I really think that anyone inclined to take an objective view of this weeks mess will realize that I have no plans to rock anyone's world by changing this site.

I am not going to lock this thread today, go ahead and get it out of your system. After my first cup on Monday though, I will lock it. At that time I would suggest that anybody that still has issues with the board, Village Press, or my moderation techniques direct their communications directly to me. That is if you really want answers. You can reach me via email, PM, or through the 800 number found in the magazines. If you need the number and don't have a magazine, buy one. I will also be at NAMES next week, stop by the booth and say hello.

Right now, we have the first sunny day in a week of cold, rainy, snowy weather. The kids and the dog have a bad case of cabin fever, which is giving me a far worse headache than this site ever could. So I am off to the sand dunes to stomp them up and down the hills in an attempt at restoring some temporary peace to my home. See ya.

George

A.K. Boomer
04-13-2008, 10:38 AM
I have been banned here before, for posting to AK's post with an opinion, and he Cried to Craig.

Why dont you tell everyone the real story jackass, that I was just returning the favor...:D

A.K. Boomer
04-13-2008, 11:23 AM
For what its worth and to whom it may concern,
I would vote the Jackal off in a split second, and never ever look back, Why?
because he has done irreparable damage to the board.
list;
Incapable of learning.
Insults most all newbies and either drives them away or sets them up to be immediately on the defense should they decide to hang around ( im the latter example --- or was for quite sometime).
Is generally in a bad disposition most all of the time.
Immediately slams people for asking simpler questions (this place is for learning --- there are no unimportant questions)
Incapable of teaching.
Unaware of the fact that he is in no way in a position to "dictate" to the moderators on how things should be, To the point of being outright rude and disrespectful to them, it makes me cringe when were handed a gift and some of us spit on it...
Last but not least --- Ungrateful, this is huge, for this place should always be looked at as being a gift to us, If somebody does not believe this they should either go elsewhere or get the AXE, No ifs and or buts...

I started off very rough on this site, If you go back to my original posts you will find out why, I even stated that this place needed an enema, I believe it still does --- what has changed in me is realizing thats its not up to me to give it one, I thank the board members for putting up with me early on, some of it was me regardless -- but some was because it was instantly instigated and I dont back down, I am however capable of learning, Iv learned so much around here including how to behave more civilized, I have chilled -- i thank many of you -- I have to thank Evan for teaching me how to debate better without loosing my cool... And once again last but not least This site is a gift, And I am grateful for all I have learned and all I get to share,

The damage that the jackal has done cannot be seen or heard -- for it is just silence that would otherwise be filled with cool guys who dropped out almost instantly --- Guys who had some great minds -- all for keeping one asshole around, Ladies and Gentlemen --- hobbers and holehoggers, hedgers and shapers, millers and moths, i beg of you - Give the jackal the AXE, have a nice day jay.:cool:
And by the way - Go fuqe yourself...

(ps. George --- if you have to make an example of me I understand completely -- it will be worth all 168 hours of it ((it will be just one week right?;) ))

edit; forgot to add --- Totally rips into people about their spelling yet has proven time and time again that he does not have a clue as to how to spell things correctly himself... and about a dozen more things that I'll bring up a little later...

lazlo
04-13-2008, 11:32 AM
I may post some off topic stuff, But I don't post 4 to 6 random Links per post( which can be really annoying also ).

No kidding. He doesn't read the preceding posts, unless its from Evan, and then fills page-long, double-spaced replies with mostly unrelated Wikipedia quotes and scans from machinery texts.

Judging from the thread flow afterwards, people just skim or completely skip the post and move on.

I'd vote for Wolfie to stay.
I don't agree with much of what he posts, but I do find his non-PC attitude quite refreshing.

I don't know why IOWolf is being singled out. He's not the primary cause of the little Romper Room tussle we've had because of the Charlton Heston thread -- that was Evan being a troll.

There's Evan, come to throw gasoline on a forest fire

dp
04-13-2008, 01:22 PM
If the majority wants me to leave thats fine,Take an OPEN vote, but I don't think it is up to One man with A whole 5 months on the job, or a few with a chip on there shoulder.

Flame away.

Do you not see the irony in this? You and your behavior have created this situation and here you make demands of the offended the work of ending it. Instead of you taking the only dignified step available to you which is to leave on your own as any person with character and class would do, you dare others to fill in yet another of your weaknesses. You are quite a study.

Not the Prick you think I am.

Yes, actually, you are, and you seem quite proud of it.

Evan
04-13-2008, 01:35 PM
I don't know why IOWolf is being singled out. He's not the primary cause of the little Romper Room tussle we've had because of the Charlton Heston thread -- that was Evan being a troll.

Same to you Robert. The title of the thread had my attention since I hadn't heard a thing about Bush dying. Then to find out that the "president" was really the head of the NRA seemed rather out of place, even though I support the efforts of the NRA in the field of firearms education. While gunsmithing has a place here it needs to be tempered with the realization that this is de facto an international forum.

As a natural born citizen of the US I feel entitled to comment on US policy. I haven't ever done anything that would be cause to have my US citizenship revoked and don't intend to either. Since I came to Canada I have been back to the US on many occasions, both for business and pleasure. What happens in the US concerns me for a number of reasons including the fact that my relatives live there including my father and mother, a sister and three brothers. I think I have a right to be concerned about their welfare and how US policies and law may affect it.

John Stevenson
04-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Any bets who gets the last post in before this gets locked tomorrow morning ?

lazlo
04-13-2008, 02:36 PM
I haven't ever done anything that would be cause to have my US citizenship revoked and don't intend to either. Since I came to Canada I have been back to the US on many occasions, both for business and pleasure.

Evan, I'm not sure what you're talking about there.

By "Troll", I was referring to the fact that, in the midst of a contentious thread about gun ownership, you jumped in with the amusing statement that Canadian crime "is a US export." That ignited the thread into a full-blown Internet Flame War, and caused it to be locked. Then it spilled over into the "Swiss Militia" thread, where you started into personal attacks against JC Hannum, and that thread got locked, which ultimately spilled into this thread.

So I don't completely understand why all this weekend's angst is being directed at IOWolf.

This is Evan's post that got everything started:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showpost.php?p=348304&postcount=50

In the last year all the murders have been gang violence, targeted hits or mistaken victims. So, who are these people? They are from the US, overwhelmingly, or controlled by US gangs such as the Angels. The weapons they use are nearly exclusively from the US with a recent report from the Ministry of Justice stating that only one percent of Canadian gun violence is committed by a Canadian using a weapon sold in Canada.

It seems that our "higher crime rate" is really a US export.

PTSideshow
04-13-2008, 02:44 PM
The question is do you feel good in suggesting to somebody to come to this forum any more if they are interested in machining or model engines. I for one no longer do, because of some of the antic's
And the parties dealing with this post and the earlier mentioned picture in my other post.
What I find sad is some can call other all types of juvenile names, and remarks. But nobody is allowed to respond in kind to them.
The other thing I found interesting is that as soon as Mr Bayliss made an appearance,certain parties were into the wind and no longer on line under their handle.
They could be watches us right now as, Guests Oh my!
This forum as truly reached a new low. The number of people that no longer post here because of the silliness that goes on here.
I now know why, I know that I have been coming here less and less.
I also know that I may have to rethink suggesting the magazines if nonsense continues of the rude and ill mannered postings. Since I wouldn't want somebodies children to be attacked if they made the mistake to ask a question or make a comment in the wrong thread.
As the subscription numbers for all the magazines this publisher puts out in this area of limited interest keeps dropping. So will their interest in keeping this board afloat.

I will as others here, will be at NAMES next weekend and will asking some question of the Village Press people to the direction this forum is going to take.

Evan
04-13-2008, 02:54 PM
So Robert, the fact that false and/or misleading statements such as this were quoted had nothing to do with it. I was responding to this obvious misstatement of the facts. The US murder rate is twice that of Canada. As I have said, I won't sit still when BS is put forth as the facts.

"The contrast between the criminal violence rates in the United States and in Canada is dramatic," says Canadian criminologist Gary Mauser in 2003. " while in fact, Over the past decade, the rate of violent crime in Canada has increased while in the United States the violent crime rate has plummeted."
You also didn't quote the entire post, which would have put it in context.

Yep, it's true. In Vancouver for instance they are having a gang war. In the last year all the murders have been gang violence, targeted hits or mistaken victims. So, who are these people? They are from the US, overwhelmingly, or controlled by US gangs such as the Angels. The weapons they use are nearly exclusively from the US with a recent report from the Ministry of Justice stating that only one percent of Canadian gun violence is committed by a Canadian using a weapon sold in Canada.

It seems that our "higher crime rate" is really a US export.
However, I found out upon checking the stats that even with the gang warfare our violent crime rate is still much lower.

PTSideshow
04-13-2008, 03:00 PM
So I don't completely understand why all this weekend's angst is being directed at IOWolf.

Maybe for the likes of posts 61 and 62 and all the name calling etc. and I don't think it is just this thread as we have been here to many times before. I do think that it is an additive effect.

As I said before there 10 times as many guest or non registered readers on this forum.As there are members at most times.
I'm sure if you talked to them they would have second thoughts about joining or even subscribing to the magazine.

I known the level of dislike of the magazine was large and loud when I joined here.
I also know that there hasn't been a tightly written policy on posts and rude off color behavior on the lead page of this site. But there may be now.

People on this site still seem to forget, this is not a free public run site. It is a for profit company. They will do what they feel is best. But in this economy people that are not happy will walk with their wallets. And that means revenues go down and you may get the idea.

This forum site is not freedom hall, there are plenty of adult sites were people can hotly exchange any and all ideas. Take it there, were you will find like minded people to carry on your discourse with.

IOWOLF
04-13-2008, 03:01 PM
The question is do you feel good in suggesting to somebody to come to this forum any more if they are interested in machining or model engines. I for one no longer do, because of some of the antic's
And the parties dealing with this post and the earlier mentioned picture in my other post.
What I find sad is some can call other all types of juvenile names, and remarks. But nobody is allowed to respond in kind to them.
The other thing I found interesting is that as soon as Mr Bayliss made an appearance,certain parties were into the wind and no longer on line under their handle.
They could be watches us right now as, Guests Oh my!
This forum as truly reached a new low. The number of people that no longer post here because of the silliness that goes on here.
I now know why, I know that I have been coming here less and less.
I also know that I may have to rethink suggesting the magazines if nonsense continues of the rude and ill mannered postings. Since I wouldn't want somebodies children to be attacked if they made the mistake to ask a question or make a comment in the wrong thread.
As the subscription numbers for all the magazines this publisher puts out in this area of limited interest keeps dropping. So will their interest in keeping this board afloat.

I will as others here, will be at NAMES next weekend and will asking some question of the Village Press people to the direction this forum is going to take.

That sounds like a threat.

Evan
04-13-2008, 03:03 PM
Wolfie, take a trank.

PTSideshow
04-13-2008, 03:04 PM
That sounds like a threat.

What I thought every body could express their opinion or only you and your fiends.
Its not a threat its the way things work in the real world. If people don't buy the magazines they don't need this forum!
164 (53 members and 111 guests) is the count now

dp
04-13-2008, 03:06 PM

Surely you've noticed that iowolf initiates threads with the intent to inflame, no? So far as I've seen the only chip on Evan's shoulder got there from turning metal. The difference is intent. iowolf intends to agitate and he's been pretty open about that. Some folks seem to be drawn to him because of his brashness, in fact.

People like me may be annoying but there is no intention to agitate. And while I don't necessarily agree with Evan's position on crime in Canada being a US export (there is a demand, obviously, and that is the problem - be glad it's not being supplied by the Russian mafia) I do think he's within his rights to present his view.

ligito
04-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many gun manufacturers are there in Canada?:confused:

dp
04-13-2008, 03:20 PM
I don't think there's any who make cheap, illegal firearms, and that's where the demand is when the intended use is crime related. That's what is so nutty about the statistic about only 1% of legal guns being used in crime. The perps also never leave a business card behind. Hello? :)

IOWOLF
04-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Any bets who gets the last post in before this gets locked tomorrow morning ?

Tiffie, but not without at least 4 links to off the wall stuff.:rolleyes:

IOWOLF
04-13-2008, 04:33 PM
What I thought every body could express their opinion or only you and your fiends.
Its not a threat its the way things work in the real world. If people don't buy the magazines they don't need this forum!
164 (53 members and 111 guests) is the count now

Yes, But in so many words you threatened to stop/quit your HSM subscription if I wasn't banned, or was it if you didn't get your way?

Either way it sounds like" I'm taking my toys and going home" mentality.

Oh and if you are interested I have been a subscriber for almost 20 years,Not that it matters.

PTSideshow
04-13-2008, 06:22 PM
If in the real world you don't like the way something is run, thats what happens. And If I don't like what goes on here. And I choose not to support this site or magazine. It will because of their policies in general etc

I know somebody that has had dinner with you and your wife. They seem to think that you just enjoy starting this crap on the internet because you don't have to do it face to face. Your wife probably would be aghast at what you do here from the sound of the descriptions I was given of you and her. Whether it is true or not I really don't care.

Over the years you have become more mean spirited, and nasty in your comments and rants to and at people.

It also falls under the legal description of Slanderous, Uttering and Publishing. When you attack people with the stuff you do.

Any respect I have had for you and your positions in the past has gone down to below none.
You call somebody a nazi and then you try to practice the same control if they don't agree with you. Just like the nazi's did. You think you have rights on this forum to say what ever you what and the rest of us don't.

You and I both know that on any other forum other than a forum for politics and other iusses for adults you would have been banned for life.
You have no rights on a forum to do anything other than what the owners let you do.
I can imagine the sucking sound if the village press attorneys would have been reading some of your posts.

Most other forums the rules for conduct, mainly treat people with respect and no rude behavior etc. are posted up front and followed closely.
I generally stay out of your topics no matter what it is.

Look at the number of people that aren't here joining in that tells volumes about you and your subject matters.

I only hit this one because of the miss spelling of the moderators last name. So don't count your allies as large because they aren't. Most are just tried of the SS,DD,DP. So they don't read or they read and don't get involved it it.

You did say that you wanted people to vote. Well this is The USA. We can vote and Don't have to let you know how or why we voted the way we did. Isn't that one of the things the NRA stands for or have they changed that? It's been a while since I was a member.

Along with a number of others that have tried to point somethings out to you. But again like so many times before. Its your way only.

So If I and others choose to walk with our wallets don't flatter yourself. It will not because of you alone. It will because this loose moderation policy will open the flood gates of bad behavior.

Because of the slide downward this forum seems to be taking.
I have become uncomfortable recommending this site to somebody new to the hobby, in turn because of the magazines connection to their web sites and this forum. I also feel uncomfortable recommending their magazine when you have to add a caveat about watch out for some of the posts, and people posting the OT rants on things because they get nasty on their web forum.

You may not be banned but as the circle of people you are able to attack is getting smaller.Are you going to turn on your friends.
You like to talk like you are such a high minded person, but in reality you are a small minded person.

By the time we get to the NAMES EXPO I'm sure Village Press will have a new policy for forum decorum worked out.

If not the Amish have a shunning, so if you notice that less people are responding to you, it probably isn't an organized shunning.

Its just people on this forum reaching their own limits for tolerating your poor behavior.

And I knew this wouldn't solve anything, when I started the first post. But I did it anyways,and the only thing I can say is I feel real sorry for you. If the only way you can feel alive is in the misery you think you create.

IOWOLF
04-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Geez, are you still talking?

Bla bla bla.

You are just trying to get the last word in,Like a second grader.

You can have it, I have an Ignore button also.

BTW it's just you and me here,You are draging this thing out.
Bye

Patch
04-13-2008, 09:16 PM
I think we need to change the subject here a bit so, I'm gonna tell ya'll bout a book I got off
Amazonna dot com.

Paid ten dolla fer it.
Title :

100 Ways to Have Sex.

The book had 100 pages with a lesson on each page.
I had a few doubts at first but with each lesson my little willy began to take great interest.
The first 10 or so lessons were pretty bland. Hell, just hopping into the shower and getting all
soaped up put these first few lessons to shame.
As I continued, sometimes, 2 or 3 lessons a day, I progressed. It was hard to believe there were
so many ways to have sex. The writer seemed to be pretty well informed about
all that is written. Smart dude I tell ya.
By the time I got finished with lesson 82 I thought to myself, why did it take this long to get here?
Then I remembered, I did a retake on lesson 45 and lesson 61. Did them twice.
They were great and worth repeating. Little willy stood proud I tell ya.

When I got to lesson 94,well, it was kinda stuck to lesson 95 for some reason. I just figured the book
company glued them together to give
the reader a chance to figure out what and how to read them. I found that by holding the pages up to the
light a person could read the text lessons. It worked without to much of a challange.

By the time I finished lesson 94 my little willy was exhausted. I figured I'd give him a little rest with
a few days off. Boy, did it ever help.

Lesson 97 confirmed my beliefs that the book, purchased as a used book, was previously owned by a machinest.
The lesson page was pretty dirty, a lot of swarf on it too and at the bottom of the page was scribed with a pencil,
"way lube doesn't work"

Let it be a well informed hint in advance.

Ah, then comes lesson 98. This was a good one too and very well worth repeating. Little willy got all excited
when I told him we were gonna do it over.

Then at last, lesson 100. Good gawd I was so happy and excited.
In big bold print lesson 100 said:
Unlike the previous lessons, lesson 100, requires you to have a partner.

My eyes lit up and a big smile came to my face. I think I kinda drooled a bit too.
My little willy was no longer a little willy. He was now a full grown woodie. It scared me a bit just to look at him.
Good grief, one on one, he would have embarassed Pinoccio given his biggest tale and yarn.

All I can say by golly, my little willy was huge and stuck out like a flagpole and it was damned sure pointing north.

Anyways, it was a good read. I always knew sex relieved a lot of tension. I think a lot of you's guys posting
in this thread could get good use of this book.

I figure to post it on fleabay for all your bidding delights. Oh, by the way, I decided to tear lesson 100 from the
book because it was so much fun.
It's ok tho, on the rear of the cover for lesson 100, I just scribed, "time to do it again please restart from lesson 1 and proceed.

Just remember,

Sex relieves tension and gives you a brighter outlook on life. It also makes ya a lot nicer when talking with other people such as on this forum.

Patch

oldtiffie
04-13-2008, 09:49 PM
As requested:

"Taps" and/or "Last Post" please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_Post

wirewrkr
04-13-2008, 11:03 PM
Finally! one simple message to sum it all up, (yes it's been interesting to read)
THE REALLY cool thing about living in a free society is our right to free speech.
IF something annoys, leave it be, go do something else. Censorship does not belong in a free society, let's not go there.
Robert

dp
04-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Finally! one simple message to sum it all up, (yes it's been interesting to read)
THE REALLY cool thing about living in a free society is our right to free speech.
IF something annoys, leave it be, go do something else. Censorship does not belong in a free society, let's not go there.
Robert

Free speech, in a constitutional sense, does not mean anything like this. In the constitutional sense free speech means the federal government cannot write laws regulating what you say before you've said it. It does not mean or suggest that what you do say is free of consequence. It definitely does not mean others are forbidden from regulating what you say and where you may be heard, and it very definitely does not guarantee you an audience.

Censorship is a fundamental right and should not be abridged. To do so means any nit can walk into your board meeting or your local tavern and demand to speak. You surely do not wish to open that door.

J Tiers
04-13-2008, 11:14 PM
You know what else?

Google IOWOLF.........

Yep, there for everyone to see, is a whole history of postings and comments...... and enough information to positively identify the individual calling himself IOWOLF.

Know what else?

Even if this BBS were to go dark and stay down, that stuff will be cached various places and will be available for anyone to see indefinitely........

So if you are annoyed by IOWOLF, you can remember that there COULD be consequences for him at some future date that have nothing to do with any of us (except him). All from postings here.

And, it ain't only him..............................

oldtiffie
04-13-2008, 11:21 PM
I think we need to change the subject here a bit so, I'm gonna tell ya'll bout a book I got off
Amazonna dot com.

Paid ten dolla fer it.
Title :

100 Ways to Have Sex.

The book had 100 pages with a lesson on each page.
I had a few doubts at first but with each lesson my little willy began to take great interest.

Just remember,

Sex relieves tension and gives you a brighter outlook on life. It also makes ya a lot nicer when talking with other people such as on this forum.

Patch

Thanks Patch.

That brought a wry smile - from the long, long ago.

For "Good Karma" and a good but not "relaxed" but very "excitable" read, try the "Karma Sutra".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kama_Sutra

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=karma+sutra&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

(If THAT doesn't get people to read my "Wiki" and "Google" links, then I'm afraid they are beyond redemption and salvation).

And it is NOT "OT" as there is more "shafting" and "reaming" per page than in Machinery's Handbook, but thankfully, unlike MHB, there is nothing boring in it.

S_J_H
04-13-2008, 11:21 PM
Anybody ever get hooked on those "Jays" Brand "Flamin Hot" potato chips??
I swear they must be the best hot potato chip you can buy!!

Steve

dp
04-13-2008, 11:25 PM
Anybody ever get hooked on those "Jays" Brand "Flamin Hot" potato chips??
I swear they must be the best hot potato chip you can buy!!

Steve

No fair! Now you're just padding the thread to be the last post :)

Tim's Cascade chips are the best, though. Definitely.

torker
04-13-2008, 11:30 PM
Holy Smoke.. this thread still going? LOL!
BTW... I read a little bit of it.. Patch, that was funny as hell!

dp
04-14-2008, 12:22 AM
Holy Smoke.. this thread still going? LOL!
BTW... I read a little bit of it.. Patch, that was funny as hell!

So much for Peterson's law - mention Pacific Islanders and the thread ends (similar to Godwin's law, but more fun).

Ok - this should do it:
http://absynthedeath.imeem.com/music/SMq8qe79/chickenyodelmp3/

Nobody doesn't like a good yodel.

oldtiffie
04-14-2008, 01:05 AM
So much for Peterson's law - mention Pacific Islanders and the thread ends (similar to Godwin's law, but more fun).

Ok - this should do it:
http://absynthedeath.imeem.com/music/SMq8qe79/chickenyodelmp3/

Nobody doesn't like a good yodel.

Dennis,
you are full of surprises.

Could not find a good reference for/to Peterson's Law but the one I found for Godwin's Law was a "bulls-eye".

Copy of initial text follows:

Godwin's Law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies)[1] is an adage formulated by Mike Godwin in 1990. The law states:[2][3]

"As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."

Godwin's Law is often cited in online discussions as a caution against the use of inflammatory rhetoric or exaggerated comparisons, and is often conflated with fallacious arguments of the reductio ad Hitlerum form.

The rule does not make any statement whether any particular reference or comparison to Hitler or the Nazis might be appropriate, but only asserts that one arising is increasingly probable. It is precisely because such a comparison or reference may sometimes be appropriate, Godwin has argued[4] that overuse of Nazi and Hitler comparisons should be avoided, because it robs the valid comparisons of their impact. Although in one of its early forms Godwin's Law referred specifically to Usenet newsgroup discussions,[5] the law is now applied to any threaded online discussion: electronic mailing lists, message boards, chat rooms, and more recently blog comment threads and wiki talk pages.

History
Godwin has stated that he introduced Godwin's Law in 1990 as an experiment in memetics.[3]

Linking by implication the fallacy of reductio ad Hitlerum to online discussion length had been done prior to 1990 by a poster named Richard Sexton in 1989: "You can tell when a USENET discussion is getting old when one of the participents[sic] drags out Hitler and the Nazis."[6] Godwin's Law does not, however, claim to articulate a fallacy; it is instead framed as a memetic tool to reduce the incidence of inappropriate hyperbolic comparisons. It has not been established whether Sexton's quip had any influence on Godwin's law, though Sexton has stated that Godwin has acknowledged that he borrowed the idea from Sexton and named it.

Read on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

dp
04-14-2008, 01:15 AM
Dennis,

Could not find a good reference for/to Peterson's Law but the one I found for Godwin's Law was a "bulls-eye".

Well, I would be the Peterson mentioned, and the "law" is the result of watching the typical reaction to my predisposition to wax long about the Pacific Island cultures. It has a dizzying capacity to dibilitate the most aggressive antagonist.

Good sir - is that a pistol in your hand? Oh say, that reminds me of a tale told in the Sandwich Isles when Kamehameha the Great set about to unify the many islands of that rich archipelago. zzzzzz

Happens every time.

oldtiffie
04-14-2008, 01:32 AM
Dennis,

Well, I would be the Peterson mentioned, and the "law" is the result of watching the typical reaction to my predisposition to wax long about the Pacific Island cultures. It has a dizzying capacity to dibilitate the most aggressive antagonist.

Good sir - is that a pistol in your hand? Oh say, that reminds me of a tale told in the Sandwich Isles when Kamehameha the Great set about to unify the many islands of that rich archipelago. zzzzzz

Happens every time.

Thanks Dennis.

No wonder I couldn't find references to "Peterson's Law"!!

I have it on good authority that my cultural relevance can (only???) be found in a "Petri" dish.

"'orrible".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petri_dish

torker
04-14-2008, 01:45 AM
Hang on.. can we talk about crackheads again?
Somebody mentioned me whining about drug problems here.
I just found out(a few minutes ago) that my friend (with the little convenience store) got robbed yet again. Poor bugger. Spooky part is the motel we run is right beside his place.
Thought I may as well throw this into this mixed up thread :(

dp
04-14-2008, 01:48 AM
Mr. Moderator - come the dawn please give Mr. OldTiffie the honorarium of final poster in this largely regretable thread. Given his boundless optimism it seems far more than appropriate this thread should be sent off on a good note inspired by the good gentleman.

JRouche
04-14-2008, 01:49 AM
Hmmm, nuther long drawn out thread... :) Cool.. Not really cause theres no productive "Projects" going on here.. LOL Sorry, just had to throw that in..

Hey, is there a vote to ban IOWolf??? Ok!!! Im in, vote his a$$ out!!!! LOL Just kidding, we dont do that here, are you kidding.

Nope, not a contest going on here and thats what a vote is all about. No contestants, just members..

I dont gain anything from IO's posts, but I cant throw rocks either cause I dont impart any useful knowledge either. So, Im just as useless as you IOWolf. We are two useless individuals here in this community of great folks.

Oh, the diff may be is I dont hold it all tight and personal to the point of posting four thousand, three line replies to try and gain acceptance. I have other means for that, family gets the brunt of my uselessness and they seem to accept it, for now LOL

I dont bring it public like you do. Not a prob. Some kids were like that. They kept on with their antics and everyone around them saw it but just felt sorry for them. They grew out of that phase, most of them.. Some carry it on to adulthood.. And we still look on and and think, they are special, so we include them in the group cause we are mature enough to do so..

So IOWolf, you are special, and feel free to inch on into the group, we see you there, dont always notice you but sure as heck wont tell you to leave cause we are not that bad group that told you to get lost and eat sh!T.. You know, them A$$holes in school that told you to beat it.

Nice to be part of the civil group, I think, excuse me, can I wedge myself in here please :) Make some room!!! Dang!! JR

dp
04-14-2008, 01:55 AM
This will help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menudo_%28soup%29

Here's to ya: http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080413/capt.a0d19e4b1b0b481caa90a58e9c96a5b9.clinton_2008 _inck135.jpg?x=400&y=318&sig=uEyjm1zjLr9oZsvxdOajKQ--

Peter N
04-14-2008, 03:23 AM
Pax vobiscum

oldtiffie
04-14-2008, 03:38 AM
Pax vobiscum

"pax vobiscum" = "peace [be] with you" - perhaps

"Si vis pacem, para bellum" - more likely!!
"in time of peace , prepare for war"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Si_vis_pacem%2C_para_bellum

oldtiffie
04-14-2008, 05:18 AM
This will help: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menudo_%28soup%29

Here's to ya: http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20080413/capt.a0d19e4b1b0b481caa90a58e9c96a5b9.clinton_2008 _inck135.jpg?x=400&y=318&sig=uEyjm1zjLr9oZsvxdOajKQ--

Thanks again Dennis.

The last thing we need here - due to its abundance - is more "tripe" and "offal".

The soup menudo is a traditional Mexican dish; a frequently spicy soup made with tripe. It is often thought of as a cure for a hangover, and is traditionally served on special occasions or with family.

In pre-revolutionary Mexico, poverty among the campesinos was chronic, and little if anything that might be prepared as food was left to waste. Usually, the best cuts of meat would go to the hacienda owners while the offal went to the peasants. These leftovers consisted of organ meats, brains, head, tails, hooves, etc. As cattle and sheep are ruminants that require lengthy intestinal tracts to digest their diet of grasses and raw seeds, the stomach is one of the largest pieces of offal available from these animals.

Read on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menudo_%28soup%29

IOWOLF
04-14-2008, 06:09 AM
Yep my money is on Tiffie, He has Shown many times he deserves it , Among other things .

And how does He get by with being the first member here?

Thank you Tiffie, Thank you Tiffie, Thank you Tiffie, Thank you Tiffie, Thank you Tiffie.

IOWOLF
04-14-2008, 06:46 AM
One last thing from me on this topic....

I want to thank George for letting this post go the distance, everyone who posted has shown there true colors, Both good and bad.

Most of you know where I stand on everything, and usually don't back down on much, and Never am I ashamed of posting an Opinion.

Well, bye for now.

oldtiffie
04-14-2008, 07:31 AM
OK.

We've done just about everything else.

So let's both go out in fine style and give some something that they might like to do.

Perhaps in a blaze of glory!!

"Blaze Away":

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/blaze+away

Let's hear it!!!

Here's the music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv171G3cfrI

Here's the lyrics:
http://www.joseflocke.co.uk/josef/lyrics/blazeaway.htm

Now - all together now.

Blaze away!!

Curtain Close.