PDA

View Full Version : Welding Zinc questions

daryl bane
04-09-2008, 10:54 AM
We have a broken foot off of a Coleman powermate oilless compressor(they are now out of businessBTW). It looks like zinc based potmetal (Zammac??). I have access to tig weldors/welders. What type of procedure would the experts here suggest, or is it trash. Sad, as its only about 3 months old.

Murphy
04-09-2008, 11:42 AM
If it really is zinc, you'll be better off using a epoxy like West Systems to attach it then to even think of welding it.

Even items that are zinc plated, e.g., galvanized, are a bastard to weld!

It's a good way to come down with metal fume fever, AKA "zinc chills".

That's why you'll see welders who weld galvanized metal drink a LOT of milk, the calcium pushes the zinc out of their bodies in this case.

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help!

Murphy

Steve Steven
04-09-2008, 12:10 PM
I have a neighbor who is a very good welder, he fixed a broken refrigerator door handle with a bit of zinc I sawed off a large piece I had (don't ask why!) using it as filler with an oxy-acetylene torch set to a low flame. Don't know how well it lasted, didn't look very pretty but it held.
Steve

macona
04-09-2008, 12:15 PM
That stuff they sell at the car shows where the guy is welding pop can with a propane torch is zinc based. That stuff might work. Strength wise who knows...

But the casting is probably cast aluminum.

Langanobob
04-09-2008, 12:52 PM
As I recall, one method of easily determining whether something is pot metal or aluminum is to drip some acid on it. If it's pot metal, it'll give off a dramatic fizz.

I'm also not to sure about the drinking milk antidote for zinc fumes. I worked at a place once where guys were welding a lot of galvanized steel and the workers had to go to considerable effort to de-bunk the management's story that milk was an antidote, but the final conclusion was that milk doesn't help.