PDA

View Full Version : 12X36 Grizzly lathe

Hawkeye
04-12-2008, 11:19 PM
There's a 12 X36 grizzly lathe for sale in my area for $1000.00 . Is it worth it?

rolland
04-13-2008, 12:24 AM
I have one and like it. Assuming it is in good condition I would say go for it. :)

Fasttrack
04-13-2008, 12:43 AM
1000 bucks seems a little high for a used HF piece of mahinery, imo. The only reason I'd buy HF machinery is if it were new so I'd have the benefit of having a warranty.

There are often very nice used machinery that pops up for about 1000 bucks in that size range. Not sure about your area, but I think I'd look for one of the more reputable brands.

Seems like sometimes HF machinery is great and then the very next machine, same model and everything, sucks.

mechanicalmagic
04-13-2008, 12:56 AM
I have a 4003 (well before the 4003G). It has done well for me.
I have run some fine machines, before retiring. For a NON production application, where moderate feeds are the norm, I'm very happy with mine.

If you are in NorCal, drop by, and try mine. Lunch is on you, bring your own stock, if you want to run it to the max.

Dave

KiloBravo
04-13-2008, 04:07 AM
1000 bucks seems a little high for a used HF piece of mahinery, imo. The only reason I'd buy HF machinery is if it were new so I'd have the benefit of having a warranty.

There are often very nice used machinery that pops up for about 1000 bucks in that size range. Not sure about your area, but I think I'd look for one of the more reputable brands.

Seems like sometimes HF machinery is great and then the very next machine, same model and everything, sucks.

That was a Grizzly not Harbor Freight. I know they are similiar but usually fit and finish is a lot better on Grizzly equipment. I have two identical faceplates one from Griz and one from HF. The Griz plate is 5 times better quality and cost twice as much. My $0.02.

GKman
04-13-2008, 04:54 AM
I have had a 4003 for about 3 years and have made a few barrels of chips in a home shop. No failures, no complaints. Quick change toolpost, cam-lock spindle, all the controls, charts, gears there. Ready source of cheap, quality accessories. A lot of the posts here and magazine articles are about working on, not with, those $1,000 "reputable brands".