PDA

View Full Version : anyone have info on Pennant jeweler's lathes?

andy_b
04-15-2008, 07:27 PM
i'm trying to find info on an old Pennant jeweler/watchmaker lathe. i'm guessing they will take many of the common accessories for the average 8mm lathes, but so far haven't found any info.

any info is appreciated.

andy b.

J Tiers
04-15-2008, 08:55 PM
Don't have info, but DO have a question.........

You mentioned "average 8mm lathes"..... What measurement is that "8 mm"?

I have a Boley that takes WW collets, would that be an "8mm lathe", for example?

andy_b
04-15-2008, 11:34 PM
JT,

i'm no jeweler lathe expert, but from what i understand, 8mm and WW seem to be used together quite often. i have no idea if that means interchangeable or not.

i did a search over on the PM site, and all i turned up was a guy asking questions about one a few years ago (no replies) and a guy selling one a few years ago (again, no real info). of course, i always seem to find these orphan tools from companies that no longer exist. sort of like the old Hisey horizontal mill i have.

andy b.

hoof
04-16-2008, 07:57 AM
I believe the 8mm is the collet diameter, The WW is for Webster Whitcomb, I only assume the first folks with the basic design that then became a standard. There is a realy nice book (Although very expensive) at this link. The authors name is Theodore Crum. I had the volume and it was destroyed in a flood in my cellar. http://www.horology.com/hs-tools.html I hope you find the link useful.:D

Hoof

andy_b
04-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Hoof,

thanks for the info and link. your explanation of WW sounds reasonable. i guess if most of these small lathes are of the WW-pattern, and 8mm collets seem to be the most common, then i'd guess i have a pretty good shot of matching WW-pattern and 8mm size items up with an old Pennant lathe.

andy b.