PDA

View Full Version : OT - posting drawings

SmoggyTurnip
04-17-2008, 12:51 PM
If I draw a diagram using a CAD package that produces a .dxf file is there an easy way to convert it to a .jpg file that would be suitable for posting on this form.

winchman
04-17-2008, 01:00 PM
All my drawings are in bpp files. I convert them to .jpg with my digital camera, and load them to photobucket. That'll work with .dxf files, too.

Roger

bpp files are produced with a ball point pen. :D

sconisbee
04-17-2008, 01:06 PM
If I draw a diagram using a CAD package that produces a .dxf file is there an easy way to convert it to a .jpg file that would be suitable for posting on this form.

Depending on complexity and size of the drawing if its a relitivly small/simple drawing that fits and is readable at a resonable zoom level just do what i do and screendump it into paint and save as a jpg

also what cad package are you using? alot of them offer jpg export options

oldtiffie
04-18-2008, 03:13 AM
Many CAD systems will/can export (and import) in jpg format.

I use the free "Irfanview" image editor in preference to my PaintShop Pro - most times.

"Irfanview" has an excellent screen-capture as well as a very good "Resize/re-sample" utility. The "auto-adjust colors" and "sharpen" utilities work very well.

640 x 480 (VGA) is the best resolution for posting to PhotoBucket as it is both small enough and clear enough.

SmoggyTurnip
04-18-2008, 08:17 AM
what cad package are you using? alot of them offer jpg export options

I am using a program called Smart Sketch - I have been using it for years and it doesn't have the ability to save as jpg. I'll try the screen capture idea.

Evan
04-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Irfanview will also load a DXF as a native vector format and convert it to whatever you wish in a raster format. So will Paint Shop Pro.

oldtiffie
04-18-2008, 08:48 AM
Irfanview will also load a DXF as a native vector format and convert it to whatever you wish in a raster format. So will Paint Shop Pro.

Well I'll be damned - its gonna happen!!.

Thanks for that Evan - appreciated - re Irfanview and PSP - as I have both.

Swarf&Sparks
04-18-2008, 08:52 AM
You may need to download plugins for irfanview Mick.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/415586

oldtiffie
04-18-2008, 09:37 AM
You may need to download plugins for irfanview Mick.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/415586

Thanks for the reminder Lin.

I thought I'd done that but will check both that I did it at all and to check for updates.

Its a really good application - very fast and quite versatile for day-to-day stuff -and its free.