PDA

View Full Version : Not really OT: today I couldn't step in **** if I tried

loose nut
04-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Last week I posted about trying to decide which type of mill to by. Today I drove to Detroit to pick one out.

Picked up a trailer at 7:30
Passed through US customs by 8:00 without a problem
Got to to the store at 8:45, they just happened to have both mills on display side by side
The counter man came over and told me that the zx45 display model was on for $100.00 off because there was a scratch on the mill head paint, I told him to load her up, they have already dropped the price by $200.00, the recession is hitting Detroit hard, they must not be moving stock.
I also picked the ZX45 over the 626 model because the latter's travel was to short for my needs and I have a power feed unit that will fit the ZX45
Drove back to the border with out any trouble
The customs man asked me what I had bought and what it's value was, Were I replied a mill and $1373.00 tax (Michigan) included
He asked if I would like to pay some more tax and I had to say that I would prefer not too.
At that point he said "in that case you better get out of here", I couldn't believe that he let me go without paying tax and duty, he must have been in a really good mood.
And just to ice the cake, the U-Haul dealer didn't charge me full price for the trailer rental, I'm off to buy a lottery ticket.

P.S. If there is any one here from the Detroit area that is looking for a larger mill Wholesale Tools has a display model Hor/vert. combo. mill, tables is about 4' across, It quite a bit bigger than a Bridgeport type mill but is an off brand, 1 only left.

$1795.00 and that's not a typo!!!!

snowman
04-18-2008, 11:12 PM
I don't have those days.

Last time I went to WTTool, I got a flat tire on the way there and the way back.

Now I order my stuff and wait for it to arrive.

Ken_Shea
04-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Good deal for you Loose Nut, Bet that does not happen often.

The story of my life of purchases can be pretty much summed in "buy high / sell low" :(

winchman
04-19-2008, 04:11 AM
Wednesday afternoon and Thursday morning were like that for me, so maybe that counts as a day.

Wednesday afternoon:

Someone brought me a drawing for a bumper to go on an ATV. Seventeen pieces of 1 1/2" square steel tubing varying in length from 2" to 21" with various angle cuts (some compound) on each end. Some pieces were 1-ofs, some multiples, and some left/right mirrors. I cut all the pieces on the chopsaw from drops from another project without having to recut any.

Some took my welding helmet and gloves, but the instructor found them in their locker, and I got them back.

The grocery store had everything on the list.

I had a 26-minute flight with my RC sailplane.

Thursday morning:

I didn't burn the pancakes.

I was able to work the sudoko puzzle in my head, just writing the answers in the boxes as I went.

The "coolant low" warning on the truck was fixed by adding coolant. Can't complain, since that's the first time in eight years.

All the pieces I cut Wednesday afternoon fit together with no gap larger than 1/32". The taked-together assembly was within 1/16" of the un-toleranced drawing dimensions.

Roger

planeman
04-19-2008, 07:32 AM
There is no such thing as a "free lunch"! You'll pay dearly for having a day like that Loose Nut. Out there somewhere Lady Luck is placing an entire septic tank for you to step in on your long walk through life.

Planeman

wierdscience
04-19-2008, 08:36 AM
A beaurocrat who was efficent and didn't charge you tax?Must be a new guy:D

I would say good luck on the new purchase,but you have already beat me to it:D

A.K. Boomer
04-19-2008, 09:11 AM
I get leery when things go to good --- try to get out of the way in time when it tips over in the move:p Just kidding (kinda) --- good score.

lynnl
04-19-2008, 09:50 AM
.....He asked if I would like to pay some more tax and I had to say that I would prefer not too.

A perfect example of why it's important to always tell the truth! :)

HTRN
04-19-2008, 10:15 AM
I get leery when things go to good

Me too - I get paranoid Murphy is trying to lull me into happiness, just so he can drop the hammer on me.:(

HTRN

dockrat
04-19-2008, 12:14 PM
Last Saturday I scored two brass prop shafts down at the marina. One was 1 3/4" by 7 feet long and the other was 1" by 5 feet long. Both for FREE!!!!! :D

On Sunday the steering box on my truck went south. :(

It all balances out LOL

Alistair Hosie
04-19-2008, 12:51 PM
Any chance of a few pics of the new mill would be nice to see it.Kindest regards Alistair

loose nut
04-20-2008, 10:15 AM
It will take me a week or so to remove the old mill and erect the new one then I can post some pics Allister.

Just to rub it in some more, last year I went to Wholesale Tool to buy a 12" lathe they had on sale and naturally they were sold out, there were 2 13" x 40's there, one on sale for the same price as the 12" and a much nicer one for $600.00 more. Well I had to go for the lesser one 'cause my pockets were to shallow for the nicer one and I asked to see it before it was loaded it up. When they opened the case I saw that it was the more expensive one and told the salesman he had made a mistake, he looked at the paperwork and told me that it was the right lathe. I had to accept it because it would have been rude to argue with him.:D :D :D

I look at days like this as payment for all the times that life has backed up a truck full horse pucky and dumped it on me. My wife has been chronically ill with several serious diseases for 30 years now and being able to go to the shop and make "stuff" has probably kept me sane, Well mostly sane. I'm not using the Loose nut moniker for nothing.

gregl
04-22-2008, 07:53 AM
Some people get all the luck. Yesterday I spent four hours formatting a document only to lose it because it had been inadvertently saved as text only. All that time on the computer caused my tendinitis to flare up and when I went into the other room to complain to my wife my nose seem stuffy. I gave a big honk, which turned into a five-minute nosebleed. Then I woke up at 1:30 this morning and couldn't get back to sleep. It's now quarter of five and I'm still wide awake. I'm hoping for a better tomorrow.

A.K. Boomer
04-22-2008, 09:43 AM
Now thats what I call reality:)

Timleech
04-22-2008, 01:01 PM
Picked up a trailer at 7:30
Passed through US customs by 8:00 without a problem

Drove back to the border with out any trouble
The customs man asked me what I had bought and what it's value was, Were I replied a mill and $1373.00 tax (Michigan) included
He asked if I would like to pay some more tax and I had to say that I would prefer not too.

I met a customs man like that, 25 years ago in Belgium.
A group of us kept a barge there, we'd decided to fit a bigger & better engine.
I'd hired a van, put the Gardner 4LW & marine gearbox, coolers etc in the back, & set off for the south coast. I'd asked UK customs what paper we needed (this was before EC customs controls were lifted), got the forms stamped at Dover as we left.
Got to Oostende on the ferry, Belgian customs guy says it's no good, we've got all the wrong paperwork. My heart sank.
Next he says "what's it worth"
Me "about 1200" (just a guess, might have been more)
Him " 400?"
Me "no, about 1200"
Him " no, 400!
I finally twigged, "OK, 400"
He was happy with that & waved us through ;) ;)

Tim

Alistair Hosie
04-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Me "about 1200" (just a guess, might have been more)
Him " 400?"
Me "no, about 1200"
Him " no, 400!
I finally twigged, "OK, 400"
He was happy with that & waved us through

that's the trouble with translating languages it sometimes pays to realise you are not always correct eh :DAlistair