PDA

View Full Version : Is your wife always P/O'd at you??

dockrat
04-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Is your wife always P/O’d at you for spending so much time in the shop making tools for your tools, building sterling engines, or CNC’ing your mill? Doing GUY stuff? (insert Tim Taylor grunt here) Well dig in that scrap bin and make her something pretty. I dug out some aluminum off cuts and some 2 inch copper plumbing pipe and made her an oil candle

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/IMGP1056Medium.jpg

The reservoir was a piece of 3 ½ x 4” AL round with the top part bored out to 3 inches and 1 ¼ deep. The bottom was turned down to slide into the 2” copper pipe and bored out to 1 ¾” with a 2” x 1/8” deep step in the throat for the center wick holder to sit in.
The base of the wick holder was turned down leaving a 2” base to sit in the seat in the throat of the reservoir then drilled and tapped ¼ x 20 to hold the actual wick holder that was made out of a piece of ½ inch mild steel threaded and center drilled at 1/8 to hold the wick

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/IMGP1059Medium.jpg

The base of the wick holder was then drilled out to ½ inch leaving just enough of the threads for the wick holder to screw into then put into the chuck on the rotab to drill the 4 holes to let the oil drain down into the lower part of the reservoir.

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/IMGP1060Medium.jpg

The two black collars were made out of some 2 ½ AL round that I grooved on the mill with a ¼ ball end mill using the vertical rotab. ( I had to make a base mount in order to use the tailstock off my lathe for this but that’s a whole other story) It was then bored out to slide over the copper pipe. The base of the lamp was turned and bored ½ deep for the pipe to fit into. Everything was put together using interference fits and the deepfreeze/toaster oven trick. Some polishing and some fancy red oil and its done.

I also made a couple more using the same idea out of some brass off cuts

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/oil_lampMK2_4Medium.jpg

lynnl
04-19-2008, 02:42 PM
Why those are downright pretty!!
I don't suppose you'd want to make my wife some...? :D

RetiredFAE
04-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Beautiful work Ernie!
But nope, I'm not a gonna do it! IF I start making her stuff like that, after 32 years of being me, she's gonna git suspicious and start wondering what I have been up to out there in the shop, or wondering if I have been out buying more tools, muscle cars, guns, etc. Could ruin a perfectly good marriage and a great shop!
Hmm, the really deep down suspicious part of my evil mind just kicked in guys. You don't suppose that's Ernie's REAL intention by showing us this fine work, do ya? I mean, he gets us to suddenly change habits, doing nice things for the wives, they get suspicious, and the next thing you know, Ol Ernie is adding to his own shop by buying our stuff at the dee-vorce sale!
Does anybody here know if Ernie really even has a wife??!!
Naw, he couldn't be that rotten. My brother could, but not Ernie!

Again, some beautiful work there Ernie, thanks for the ideas, the great pictures and descriptions.

Paul Alciatore
04-19-2008, 05:21 PM
Neat! I hope it works.

After over 40 years of marriage, my wife is somewhat accoustomed to my work habits. Unfortunately, they are often too frequent and too long. God bless her for understanding. I do try to honor her wishes for some personal time.

oldtiffie
04-19-2008, 07:48 PM
I've not solved that sort of problem - just adapted or got used to it.

She says I now have 2 sheds/shops - one where the tools/machines are and the other where the computer is.

If I stayed out with the tools etc. she got pee-ed off after a while and when I came in I got under her feet (it worked!!) - back to the tools!!!

She can't complain as I am buying her a new axe, shovel and builders wheel-barrow for Mother's Day - she wore the old ones out.

Me help??? Puh-leeeeze? If you don't mind - think of my sensitivity in these matters!!!

I bought her a ripper drill for Christmas but she wouldn't use it, and being as big-hearted as I am - at great inconvenience to myself and with considerable generosity - I took it off her hands and put it to good use.

Problem solved!!

I am here to help!!

Two items came in this week - one by email and the other in the local paper. I thought I'd pass them on.

email:

The Funeral Stone

Sam died. His will provided $30,000 for an elaborate funeral.

As the last guests departed the affair, his wife Sarah turned to her oldest and dearest friend. "Well, I'm sure Sam would be pleased," she said.

"I'm sure you're right," replied Jody, who lowered her voice and leaned in close. "How much did this really cost?"

"All of it?," said Sarah. "Thirty thousand".

Jody exclaimed: "I mean, it was very nice, but $30,000?"

Sarah answered, "The funeral was $6,500. I donated $500 to the church. The whisky, wine and snacks were another $500. The rest went for the Memorial Stone."

Jody computed quickly. "$22,500 for a Memorial Stone? My God, how big is it?"

"Two and a half carats."

Gotta love that gal!!!!

And being my wife's "Knight in Shining Armor" (no the armor was correct and armour applies equally well), and being accustomed to living life to the full and dangerously and knowing how she feels and that she may have written this article, I forward it for your edification:

From the local paper:

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa294/oldtiffie/Chain-male.jpg

wierdscience
04-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Good thing I'm not married,if I were I would have to make candles and holders an all sorts purdy things I don't like:D

Seriously though nice job!

Uncle O
04-19-2008, 10:00 PM
Very nice looking lamps..............
But it looks like you got soot and oil residue on the carpet and she is going to be pissed off at you after all............:D

A.K. Boomer
04-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Dockrat, thats one nice classy looking candle --- I will keep it in mind if ever I have that prob.

It also could prove to be safer than hot wax just because the wicking action might make the candle oil run at a lower temp than a standard wax candle, I had a low profile square candle in a square glass that I used to have on the top shelf of my headboard of my old bed --- used to fire it up when I had a babe over --- one time in the wildest of moments the thing comes crashing down on the girls forehead and face, very serious - hot wax all over her face and in her hair and everything, thank god she was yelling out "oh God" with her eyes closed at the time, thats where things could have gotten serious.
My bro's got my old bed and once in awhile I'll see it at his house and I have to laugh when I see how I remedied the situation, Its still has four little velcro pads glued to the top of the shelf...
It was long ago but I think I only seen her one more time and that was that...

A.K. Boomer
04-20-2008, 10:05 AM
How did you get the two black aluminum collars black? did you have them anodized?

dockrat
04-20-2008, 11:28 AM
How did you get the two black aluminum collars black? did you have them anodized?

Sorry...should have mentioned that....masking tape and black gloss enamel spray paint

Ken_Shea
04-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Ernie,
Those are just beautiful !!

Ken

oldtiffie
04-20-2008, 11:12 PM
Ernie,
Those are just beautiful !!

Ken

I will say amen to that.

Nice work - very.

Nicer thought.

Jim Caudill
04-21-2008, 12:02 AM
Last week I told my wife I was going to be out of town Friday afternoon thru Saturday night. She said, "what for?". I told her I was going to Toledo to meet some gal that I met in an internet chatroom. She said, "Uh,huh, and would the name of this person be Bill C? and would you two just happen to be going to that machining thing?"

Rats, busted again. Sometimes these women just get to know you too well.

gnm109
04-21-2008, 12:17 AM
That is some very nice work on the lamps, indeed! Hopefully that will go a long way towards warming your lady's heart. In fact a few more such items and I suspect you might merit a Small Bridgeport Mill and a restored Monarch 10EE. :o

My only question is this: If a man works alone in his home shop late at night, is he still wrong?

---------------------------------------
Whenever guns are outlawed, only machinists will have guns.

dockrat
04-21-2008, 06:21 PM
My only question is this: If a man works alone in his home shop late at night, is he still wrong?

You have to ask????? :p

john hobdeclipe
04-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Were it not for my wife I would probably never have a shop and machines and such...I'd likely still be puttering around the country in a ratty old VW Camper wandering from job to job. So now I take great pleasure in making things for her, and think she enjoys the things I create.

I've made a canopy for a light fixture...from solid brass. She loved it when I finally hung the fixture with a canopy that actually matched. And for Christmas I made a knife block with polished stainless steel fasteners. She loves it.

She likes the titanium earrings I've made for her.

And she knows I use the tools and equipment to fix things (mower, tiller) and make repair parts, (like storm window latches.)

oldtiffie
04-21-2008, 10:32 PM
For: john hobdeclipe

I really did enjoy and appreciate your post.

Relationship - solid gold.

Gifts - solid brass.

You are both very "rich" and very fortunate.

The more so since you both appreciate each other as you do.

My wife and I are similarly fortunate - very!!

BigBoy1
04-22-2008, 07:41 AM
Now that we have become Grand parents, I'm spending time in the shop making things for the Grand Kids. Somehow the time spent in the shop is now not "bad" time.

I'm carvining a rocking horse from solid wood. Not really a maching project but it is a project that is deemed acceptable. I'll post pictues when I get a bit further along. Since I have to stand to do the carving,I can only spend half days at it so the lathe and mill get used the rest of the day for non-Grand Kid projects!

Bill

drof34
04-22-2008, 11:59 AM
My wife has been PO'ed at me for 53-1/2 years and I guess I'll keep her.

Besides' she's the primary on our health insurance.

BadDog
04-22-2008, 02:10 PM
My handle is BadDog, and it comes from me always being in the "dog house" with the wife...

gnm109
04-22-2008, 10:18 PM
My wife has been PO'ed at me for 53-1/2 years and I guess I'll keep her.

Besides' she's the primary on our health insurance.

I've been married to the same wonderful lady for 42 years. I'd trade her for someone else but there's too much training involved...Just kidding, heh heh. :)

dockrat
05-15-2008, 01:14 PM
So then I made her a bowl with an aluminum collar and lid out of a piece of 5” bronze bushing I had kicking around. I told her she could put her face powder (or the honey dust :D ) in it. She said she was going to keep it to put my ashes in when I croaked so that my hobby and I could go out together LOL. Geeeezzzz Am I the only guy here that made his own urn??? :D

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/IMGP0896Small.jpg

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/IMGP0894Small.jpg

doctor demo
05-15-2008, 02:35 PM
[QUOTE=dockrat] . She said she was going to keep it to put my ashes in when I croaked so that my hobby and I could go out together LOL. Geeeezzzz Am I the only guy here that made his own urn??? :D

If she asks you to make a realy nice shadow box or small formal looking shelf RUN LIKE HELL:eek: .

Steve:D .

Liger Zero
12-16-2008, 12:38 PM
Followed a link from another thread to this one.... Very nice idea. If it is not too late can the OP provide some additional detail on the wick holder/wick plate?

Evan
12-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Nice work Ernie. Only one problem I can see. My wife reads this forum every day and if she sees this I am going to send you the bill for materials. :D

kmccubbin
12-16-2008, 12:55 PM
hah! I solved that problem a different way. She's still always po'd at me, but now she's my ex!

Kerry

laddy
12-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Hey,
Back to that good looking lamp...any way of advancing the wick as it burns down or isn't that a problem? Great work! Fred

dockrat
12-16-2008, 07:06 PM
Hey,
Back to that good looking lamp...any way of advancing the wick as it burns down or isn't that a problem? Great work! Fred

laddy....I use tweezers to raise the wick but only for the first burn till I get a perfect flame. I havn't had to adjust a wick since. They just dont seem to burn up. Finding wicks was the bigest problem until I found a guy on FleaBay that sells 1/8" round wicks. Anyone interested...PM me and I will give you his site.

madman
12-16-2008, 08:56 PM
YEAH my Wifes Pissed at me a lot, I dont have a real Job any more. (There dont seem to be any) and i just spent another 5 grand for wiring and then the visa bill. Least i paid it off. NOW to make her Happy i am buying her a TIG Welder. LOL We shall see if i still have my Nuts in a week or so.

Mcgyver
12-16-2008, 09:30 PM
Ernie those look great. does it work? I'm off to find the biggest damn turret lathe i can and boat load of brass :D

Fasttrack
12-16-2008, 11:28 PM
Good timing - These look like they'd make great Christmas gifts!

winchman
12-17-2008, 02:02 AM
My wife thinks everything I make in the shop stinks, as in, "Eewww, that stinks!".

I can't make anything for her unless I leave it outside long enough to lose the "shop smell". I still haven't figured out how a piece of aluminum machined without any cutting fluid can smell bad.

That said, she's happy that I get so much pleasure from playing in the shop and going to the school to build stuff. She told me the other day that she enjoys watching me run the lathe while she's doing the dishes. She can look out the kitchen window and through the garage window.

Things could be SO much worse.

Roger

huntinguy
12-17-2008, 04:11 AM
fb om. You must have one happy xyl.

73's

kc7fja

TheCowGod
12-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Beautiful work. I have one question which is probably relatively obvious to most of you. I'm new to machining, and I'm always curious when I see someone produce something with a round edge like the top of your candle:

http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/IMGP1056Medium.jpg

How did you achieve that edge? The only thing I can think of is using a file on the piece as it turns in the lathe, but that seems dangerous since just about every other machining operation seems to be done with both the workpiece and tool securely held by the machine. I know that a woodworking lathe is operated with the tools held in the hand though. What technique did you use to get that nice round edge?

Dan

Jim Caudill
12-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Dan, you can buy convex and concave radius cutting bits for the lathe from any of the tool suppliers (think Enco). Once you've seen one, you might try grinding your own. I have also used a "corner rounding" endmill in a lathe toolholder to cut a radius.

Here's a link:http://metalworking.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF?PMPAGE=1053&PARTPG=MWSRCH&PMITEM=84412089&PMCTLG=54&PMT4TP=*LTIP

Here are a couple of parts I made that required both concave and convex radii:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i183/Ferrofab/Shaper.jpg

johnhurd
12-17-2008, 10:53 AM
seems like a bad choice to give a ticked off woman a open flame

dockrat
12-17-2008, 12:40 PM
How did you achieve that edge? The only thing I can think of is using a file on the piece as it turns in the lathe, but that seems dangerous since just about every other machining operation seems to be done with both the workpiece and tool securely held by the machine. I know that a woodworking lathe is operated with the tools held in the hand though. What technique did you use to get that nice round edge?
Dan

Dan, like Jim said above, I used a corner rounding endmill to do that but you could also cut a 45 across the edge then use a file to round it off. I also use a ball nose end mill to cut concave edges. Just go lightly.
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/IMGP1147Medium.jpg

Liger Zero
12-17-2008, 04:04 PM
Dan, like Jim said above, I used a corner rounding endmill to do that but you could also cut a 45 across the edge then use a file to round it off. I also use a ball nose end mill to cut concave edges. Just go lightly.
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh67/Dockrat1/IMGP1147Medium.jpg

WOOT I was just going to post a question about how to do this, thanks for the tips.

TheCowGod
12-18-2008, 02:46 AM
Aha, so the answer is more tooling. Excellent. :) Thanks for the replies. So I guess you need to grind a different tool for each radius you want to cut. I guess the 8" grinder will turn out to have been a more worthwhile purchase than I thought :)

Dan

Teenage_Machinist
12-18-2008, 04:35 PM
:D

Psst! Turner's Cubes. Hint Hint.