PDA

View Full Version : Henry Ford Museum / Greenfield Village - Who's been there??

snowman
04-19-2008, 06:19 PM
It's teacher appreciation weekend at the museums, so we went today. I hadn't been there in 14 years, so it was interesting to see the changes they have made. What was more interesting was seeing the machinery, as I have a better appreciation for it. They have some beautiful planers.

The only things they had in operation today was a turret lathe on which you could make a candlestick for $5 (I opted out) and a HUGE steam engine which used to be ran on compressed air (I believe it's motorized now). 20 foot diameter flywheel, used to spin at 75RPM. I've got video's I'll post later of it.

So who has been there?

Mad Scientist
04-19-2008, 06:35 PM
Been there many years ago. Would like to go back and see what's "new".

Evan
04-19-2008, 06:55 PM
I was there in the 60's. It was impressive to me at the age of 14.

davidh
04-19-2008, 07:14 PM
even this old guy was impressed a few years back. great machinery and everything else. i thought the silk worm demo was also quite cool.

SGW
04-19-2008, 07:22 PM
It's sort of mind-boggling. The last time I went though, I thought they were modernizing the exhibits and getting rid of a lot of the things I wanted to see, like several of the steam engines, and bringing in multi-media shows I didn't care all that much about.

Al Messer
04-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Me----1957.

R W
04-19-2008, 09:02 PM
Hope to go their if I ever get to the US again.

PTSideshow
04-19-2008, 09:10 PM
Well they had a hell of a sale and cleaned out a lot of traction engines, steam engines tractors and a whole lot of lots of stuff. a number of years ago.
the aim is to make it more culturally relevant.To a younger crowd. meaning that the real old stuff had to go. Even stuff that Henry's personal items and stuff he liked went.
He is probably spinning fast then his generator at his old house at Fairlane ever did. LOL
:(

Malc-Y
04-20-2008, 06:38 AM
I was there briefly in November 1997, I was staying at the Marriot hotel across the road and had half a day with nothing else to do, so I took a walk to the museum. I was very impressed and wish that I had had longer to look at everything properly. As a railwayman, I was particularly impressed by the Cheasapeake & Ohio class H-8 Alleghenny 2-6-6-6 locomotive, without doubt the biggest locomotive that I have ever seen!

Malc. :cool:

Peter S
04-20-2008, 08:30 AM
I spent a day there back in the late 1990's, (at the museum, not the village). Henry Ford was a man with many faults, but his work in establishing the Museum and Village in the 1920's was a remarkable achievement and I reckon it numbers amongst the worlds great collections. The fact that some of the steam engines have been sold is pretty shocking, I think they were at the heart of Henry's passion for the past and made for the greatest collection in North America. Hard to imagine how they swung that one!

Personal highlights were the "Allegheny" locomotive, the streamlined Dodge Texaco tanker, a beautiful ornate cast iron stove with glass panels and nickel finish, the big steam/gas generating engine (ex-Highland Park), the timber floor of the museum, the "Fairbottom Bobs" Newcomen engine, JFK's lincoln etc etc.

laddy
04-20-2008, 08:32 AM
I've been four or more times and loved it every time. Fred

GKman
04-20-2008, 12:23 PM
Two years ago. Wright Bros Bicycle shop probably replicated down to the correct mousetrap in the corner like they had just stepped out for lunch with their partly finished flyer in the back room.

Maybe a hundred cars representing the milestones of automotive developement. Outstanding!

j king
04-20-2008, 08:18 PM
Been there 3 times and would go tomarrow if I had the chance.Love that place.Something for everyone.Wife and kids even enjoyed it.You really need 2 days to take your time to see the museum and then a day for the village .

Alguy
04-20-2008, 09:16 PM
I been there, great place to visit . Very impressive collection, i will go again.

snowman
04-20-2008, 10:01 PM
Been there 3 times and would go tomarrow if I had the chance.Love that place.Something for everyone.Wife and kids even enjoyed it.You really need 2 days to take your time to see the museum and then a day for the village .

I will agree on that. I think that we may buy a family membership for $80. It's only 20 minutes from us. It's really one of those places you have to visit multiple times to begin to know the place well.

Mike of the North
04-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Wright Bros Bicycle shop probably replicated
Not replicated the actual shop taken apart and moved, same with Edison's shop, and a few other buildings. Ford started buying thing before there was a Smithsonian. I was there at Christmas time there are still a lot of old tractors, steam and others.

snowman
04-21-2008, 10:05 AM
I posted video of the big engine in the "names photo and video" thread.