PDA

View Full Version : Need your help

lugnut
04-20-2008, 03:45 PM
I've been toying with the idea of moving up to a larger milling machine, I have a Grizzly mini mill now. I found this used machine on the Internet this morning but can't find any info on it.
Kao fong milling machine modle # KF-VO-AIS.
Table working surface 7" x 30".
Comes with extra tooling. http://eugene.craigslist.org/tls/648912310.html
Also have lots of end mills available $1900Does anyone have any experience or know any thing about them?
I have to stay with single phase power. and not a very big foot print.
Thanks
:confused: Mel

SGW
04-20-2008, 04:17 PM
My Jet JVM-840 milling machine was made by Kao Fong (1985). It's been a good machine. I don't know how the one you're looking at compares to mine, but I think Kao Fong is one of the reputable Asian manufacturers.

The thing that I find most incongruous about my milling machine is the quality (or lack thereof) of the way wipers. Most of the machine is well made -- a bit basic, perhaps, but well done. The plates holding the way wipers, however, look like they were cut out with a cold chisel. Maybe not quite that bad, but they're pretty crude. The screws holding them on aren't much better. Weird, because the other bolts and screws are of good quality, nothing to complain about at all.
The only other thing I've noticed is that the cast iron is fairly soft so the table dents easily.

Update: looking at the picture (I should have done that before), I think that machine is pretty much the same as mine except for the motor arrangement. Mine is more "Bridgeport-style" with a C-face motor mounted on top, but otherwise the milling machine head, table, knee, column, base, etc. look identical.

The lowest spindle speed is likely not very low, but if it's a real problem you can always go to a 3-phase motor and a VFD for the phase conversion and speed control.

ammcoman2
04-20-2008, 07:01 PM
It appears to be the same as the KBC VM-22 which I have. Perfect for my needs and has 20" of space between table and spindle.

Depending on the age it will probably have been made in Taiwan as mine was. Firt and finish very good compared to the current crop that are made in mainland China. Go for it.

Geoff

SGW
04-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Probably not 20" of space if it's like mine -- more like 12 1/2" -- but it's still a good machine. And making a riser block wouldn't be THAT hard, if it's a problem.

gearedloco
04-21-2008, 12:19 AM
It looks an awful lot like my Jet mill, which seems to work quite well. OTH, I'm probably not smart enough to really know what's what. Oh yeah - the Jet is green.

-bill