PDA

View Full Version : Totally non-political collet rack thread.

DICKEYBIRD
04-20-2008, 08:16 PM
I guess I'm your average sorta guy that can't help but click on the train-wreck threads and read them. I don't post on them because I try to separate my time into 3 separate areas...work, family and fun stuff. For me, political arguments don't fit into any of those. It's a shame that our world has gotten so intense that a hobby forum has to become so contentious.

So, with my Pollyanna attitude fully engaged, I'll post something I did today to improve my shop a little. My existing collet holder system (bottom left) allowed flying chips to contaminate the collets and caused me to waste time cleaning before being able to use them.

The new one was made from a scrap piece of maple and pegs made from pieces of busted carbon-fiber arrows a deer hunting buddy gave me. I made a drill jig from a scrap piece of the maple and a drill bushing turned from a bit of 3/8" brass. This allowed all 16 holes to be drilled with the same angle & spacing.

If you look close, you can see I had to relocate the holder for the remote control for the window A/C unit in my shop. I guess if someone wants to flame to cr@p out of me, I've left myself wide open: Bambi hunting with unfair high-tech arrows and the blatant disregard for my carbon footprint by installing an energy guzzling A/C unit.;)

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g227/DBAviation/ColletRack.jpg

DAMN! I wish we could get back to the good ol' days of everyone posting pictures of really ingenious home shop machining exploits.:(

wierdscience
04-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Nice rack!;) Never though I would say that to a guy:D

Don't sweat the so called taboo subjects,if we made a list off limit topics would include-

Religion
Politics
Guns
Electrical wiring
Computer programming
Proper storage of taps
Table keys
Trammel points
What type of oil is best
The metric system
gays
religous gays with guns ohm meters and chipped taps.

Well pretty much anything can run off in the ditch here:D

On the up side we haven't been hit by the devining rod bug that infested the OTHER site:rolleyes:

I've been meaning to post some project pics for the last couple months,but I have been busy.Maybe this week I'll get it done.

Forrest Addy
04-20-2008, 09:02 PM
Looks like a COMMIE collet rack. If it was a patriotic Ammurican collet rack, it would go crosswise.

Seriously, yeah, some guys do get carried away seeing controversy ad outrage under every leaf. It's the escalation responding to an initical screwball post that's the killer.Trick is not to respond.

lugnut
04-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Dickeybird, that is a great collet rack, and I want complement you on your super heavy duty "chip brush" holder also.:D
Mel

lazlo
04-20-2008, 09:26 PM
I want complement you on your super heavy duty "chip brush" holder also.:D

That's hilarious -- you have a self-braking chip brush holder :)

fasto
04-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Dickeybird, that is a great collet rack, and I want complement you on your super heavy duty "chip brush" holder also.:D
Mel
That a Chip Brush holder? I thought it was, uh, maybe an automatic motorized paint brushing thingey "it slices, it dices, it paints the parts as they come off the mill!":D

Seriously, collet rack's nice. I see the old one by the mill. I also see you've got the Grizzly positive rake TPG insert face mill - how's it work? I've got one but I haven't used it yet.

BobWarfield
04-21-2008, 12:48 AM
That there is a combination chip brush holder, mill tramming aid, and mill head counterweight.

Nice job keeping your shop in order.

The big brush down below makes me think one of those ice scrapers with blade at one end and brush at the other would be handy for cleaning chips. I don't know when the heck I'll ever see one again living on the coast in California though!

Cheers,

BW

Oldbrock
04-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Bob, maybe someone will send you one from Alberta:D

lugnut
04-21-2008, 01:22 AM
BW, I have one of those snow brushes that I had left over from my life in Idaho, This morning I had to use it here on the Oregon Coast. The beaches were all white. Snowed about a inch.
Mel

rdfeil
04-21-2008, 01:40 AM
Dickybird,
Very nice holder, and the collet rack is nice too:D It looks like a very well organized work area. Mine looks best when the door is closed.

Bob,
Mel's got me beat, the Oregon coast is closer to you than central Washington state. As I type this the TV is talking about snow falling in the Seattle area RIGHT NOW !!!!! I thought it was Spring:( Good luck and enjoy the warm weather:p

Robin

bhjones
04-21-2008, 08:07 AM
Where does the gun go on that rack?

DICKEYBIRD
04-21-2008, 08:45 AM
Thanks guys. It's not much but it does remain on topic. I try to do something, however small it may be, in the shop every weekend. Keeps me from going wacko.:)

Fasto that facemill has worked great. I use it all the time on CRS, cast iron and aluminum. The inserts stay pretty sharp except for the time I cleaned up a chunk of Chinese cast iron that had some surface sand and unobtanium inclusions. A couple of corners got chipped but I kept at it until it got down to clean metal. I rotated the inserts and was back in bid'ness.

Ya'll like my chipbrush holder eh?:) The other side of it holds my super-dooper one-handed countersink/deburring tool, a chuck key, a file, a magic marker and a scribe. Looks like a porcupine.

Brett, man I wish I'd thought of that before taking the pic! I should've hung my little Ruger .22 auto on it. Now THAT would've been funny!

snowman
04-21-2008, 10:04 AM
I'll try to remember to post a picture of my collet rack later. It's sagging, not holding itself up very well. Probably in need of a little welfare to give it a boost.

DICKEYBIRD
04-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Good one snowman; we need to add that to wierdscience's list from earlier in the thread.:)

Alistair Hosie
04-21-2008, 02:00 PM
looks very nice !And go to the top of the class, although it's not a big picture it looks like a nice well thought out shop could we see more? Alistair

torker
04-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Yup.. the rack looks good! BTW.. I'll give you more kudos on the chipbrush holder AFTER you get the ABS hooked up on it. No No... don't bother to CNC it... ABS will do fine :D

MCS
04-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Dickeybird, I like your attitude and humor.

You like a peacefull life, you expect it to be there on the internet.

You are right.

I consider opening a topic like falling on barbed wire.

"Didn't you know that, stupid! If you're on that level we are going to piss you off! If we don't understand your question, than it is your writing or whatever, not because we don't understand your question. Just, because we are the best. Or at least we spend enough to be the best. Or at least we think we spend enough. At least we post enough about our spending."

So at least let's try to take each other seriously, treat each other as equals. Each individual brings his/her own experience to the party.

Said the bloody foreigner on this forum.

IOWOLF
04-21-2008, 05:15 PM
Is the Rack On the right or left?

DICKEYBIRD
04-21-2008, 06:31 PM
It's conservatively positioned to the right of the column and is held securely in place by a liberal amount of screws.;)

Well said MCS.

wierdscience
04-21-2008, 11:40 PM
Hold one a minute,I just noticed how clean the shop is.

Must be a memeber in one of the "cleanophile paligamist sleeper cells"prolly got three wives cleaning up after him:D