PDA

View Full Version : Gray planer

tiptop
04-20-2008, 09:47 PM
Well my son and I took off at 4:30 am friday and drove down to Covelo, Ca. and met up with Bruce to pick up the planer. Thanks Bart, Bruce was as nice a guy as you said. We got back at about 1:30 last night, as the snow was starting to fall here on the coast, (2" snow on the coast in April?). I know I will be admonished and probably deserving so, but I will not have any pictures untill tomorrow when we unload it, been to tired today. I will stay far away from my computer until I can come up with pictures or a better excuse. Jay

Well I finally got some pictures for you all. They are on the next page, follow the link to my photo alblum.

carlquib
04-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Yep, I want pictures and good descriptions.

-brian

tiptop
04-22-2008, 11:28 PM
Sorry, carlquib, no pictures yet. It is raining to beat the band here. Probably get some this weekend.
But here is some information on it to keep you excited if nothing else. It is a 1899 Gray planer. It planes 26" in width and height and 6' in lenth. It weights 6000 lbs. with the countershaft and motor. It is in excellant condition and shows virtually no wear. Jay

Tim Clarke
04-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Hey, Tiptop... Got any plans for the planer? like are you going to setup to plane lathe beds and such?

If memory serves me correctly, Forrest was partway thru a planer rescrape a couple years back. He'll doubtless have some comment as soon as he sees this. He'll doubtless have answers for questions you might have.

Regards, TC
also from Oregon

tiptop
04-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Tim,
Yes I have hopes of using it to do restoration work on these other pieces.

1893 #2 B&S horizontal miller
1905 24" Barnes camelback drill press
1881 16" Gould & Eberhardt shaper
1927 9" SB lathe
1899 24" X 24" X 6" Gray planer

Weather is supposed to clear tomorrow, I hope to get some picyures then. :)

miker
04-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Is this it?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/mikerr/1602920HugePlaner.jpg

:)

Rgds

Fasttrack
04-24-2008, 11:58 PM
wait ... you've got TWO planers?
:)

:very jealous:

I'm excited to see some pics. Heck, sounds like a tour of your entire shop is in order.

oldtiffie
04-25-2008, 12:06 AM
If that "Gray" planer that Miker posted IS Tiptop's in his shop then its gonna take a lot of photographing.

torker
04-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Geez... at first I thought you were talking about a wood planer :D
Now I gotta see this rig.
Might have to order me up one from them Harbor Fright fellas :D
Geez... that big one there... what did they use that for?? To knock the hobos of the top of boxcars? ;)
Russ

Alguy
04-25-2008, 12:41 AM
Mikers pic looks a lot like a shop i used to work in. it was the tool room for the press room. It was an old building originally built as a Grey iron foundry eventually it was made in to stamping facility in the 1920's . The grey mill we had was like the pictured planer except it had 2 milling heads instead of planer heads . It was used mostly on the press beds, best guess to the bed size was 7 foot by about 18 feet. Now it is a vacant lot

Forrest Addy
04-25-2008, 01:03 AM
I got hundreds of hours on double box column Gray planers like that. We had five from 8 ft eye x 24 ft table to smaller including a couple of Cincinnatti opensides and a two Niles. One 5 ft eye x 12 ft table and one 16 ft eye x 32 ft table. I'd rather run planers than any other general class of machine tool.

Fasttrack
04-25-2008, 01:07 AM
:eek:

You guys impress me. I wish there was some way to absorb all of the knowledge and expierence you guys have! What kind of jobs did you have to do Forrest? And why do you prefer planers? I've never used one in real-life but I find them fascinating to watch in videos. Same with shapers ... and trip hammers for some reason. Maybe its just the loud noise and raw power with the trip hammers.

tiptop
04-25-2008, 04:24 PM
Well the weather did clear up today and I ventured out and uncovered the Gray. It is not as impressive as the picture posted by miker and not as large as the ones mentioned by Forrestt, but it is paid for and in my driveway. Here are some pictures.

http://imageevent.com/aatiptop/toolspage/thegrayishome

This is where my pictures are now, you can go to "Home" and see them all if you have the time and inclination.

tiptop
04-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Deleted files

doctor demo
04-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Is this it?

Rgds
That planer looks to be about the same size as the K&T three head mill we scrapped a couple of years ago , the table was 8'X12' and it weighed in at 12 tons. I dont remember what the rest of the pieces weighed but each colum was a lowbed load . It had three 25 horse spindle motors on it. I hate to scrap old cool machines , and didn't mean to hijack the thd.:D
Steve

tiptop
04-25-2008, 11:07 PM
Steve,
Its not that big. The table is 22"x84". It will plane 26"x26"x72". The main part of the frame weights about 4000lbs and with the table, motor mount and jackshaft it is right at 6000lbs. Plenty big for a home shop. Jay

Herm Williams
04-26-2008, 12:11 AM
We are in the process of setting up an open sided rockford 14 foot and a 3 foot, both hydraulic driven. I notice that the Grey is gear driven. Is thare any advantage to gear or hydraulic drive? I will probably be operating these machines. I can hold my own with most manual metal working machines but these will be new to me. Is there a source of information that I might get to help in learning to operate these?
TIA
hermwill@cox.net