PDA

View Full Version : ENCO 7x12 Bandsaw follow-up mods

Bill Pace
04-21-2008, 09:39 AM
Like Dickey Bird, hoping for an ON topic thread ---

After my recent thread on purchasing the ENCO 7x12 band, one of our members PM'd me with a couple questions, and I mentioned having already done a couple modifications to the saw. He asked for pictures and a description of what I'd done and to post here, or send to him. Have sent to him, and now here, hopefully someone here will get an idea ot two.

The saw DOES indeed have a table to attach for vertical sawing, but requires it to be removed to use in the normal horizontal position. Since I had the little 4x6's and had devised a table to remain on the saw at all times, though small, it served my purposes very well, so I set out to get something similar on the 7x12. A piece of scrap 3/16" SS and a piece of cardboard for pattern and this came to be...

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/pace1980/misc002.jpg

The saws vise jaws end an inch or more from the blade when in the normal cutting position,--- which I almost EXCUSIVELY use, so (again like on the 4x6's) I wanted the jaws right at the blades contact point to allow those MANY short pieces to be clamped and cut.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/pace1980/misc001.jpg

This was accomplished with a couple minor changes ... the stationary jaw was relocated to holes designed to hold the jaw in the angled positions, having to move the hole (at the arrow) to the left and elongate to make it a slot, then use one of the existing arcs as second mount point. The circled area under the bolt is a little milled notch to allow the table to just clear at that point. The movable jaw was fitted with a piece of plate to extend it out the inch or so to the blade edge.

At some point, I would like to change the coolant set-up by adding a flexible line off to allow aiming the flow at the point of entry of blade

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b301/pace1980/misc003.jpg

snowman
04-21-2008, 10:00 AM
I like your jaws.

If you put a screw thread on the right side of the mobile jaw, you can adjust it in and out when cutting short stuff so that it doesn't put a lot of strain on the clamp screw. Basically providing a pivot on the far side so that it balances the load.

Guns are Funs!

pcarpenter
04-21-2008, 05:04 PM
If you put a screw thread on the right side of the mobile jaw, you can adjust it in and out when cutting short stuff so that it doesn't put a lot of strain on the clamp screw. Basically providing a pivot on the far side so that it balances the load.

I added a "jack screw" like that to my 4x6. You can grip shorter stuff than would ever be possible without it. On a related note, I have an older Palmgren drill press vise ground on sides, bottom and end that fits nicely into the saw vice for holding small stuff right up close to the blade. This Palmgren vise has a v-groove both horizontal and vertical, allowing you to hold even tiny screws for cutting off heads, etc. Pretty handy little add-on for saws of just about any size.

Paul

pturner
05-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Great tips, I'm doing some or all of them to my turn pro. I was thinking about the mini table this past weekend, as I use the bandsaw to cope tubing and angle, and finish with the grinder. I has a similar one made years ago to fit on a portaband. One other trick is to take piece of conduit or pipe and slip it over the screw stop that ends the downward motion of the saw. I had to notch both ends of 16 pieces of 4" x 1/4 angle, and this let me do it without having to babysit the saw. Of course length depends on thickness, and you still have to listen to the saw and turn it off.

I have a question. I've had a lot of time on a Rockwell saw, and the hydraulic feed was adjustable from the bow of the saw. Has anyone tried a mod to move the controls to the bow? Bending over and flipping the lever is a PITA. I'm going to try moving them, but I've never work with low flow/low pressure hydraulics.

When I got the turn-pro in, I was suprised to find it came with a Lenox bimetal blade. I had allready ordered one from McMaster, which was a good thing when a helper placed 3/16" angle in edge up, and forgot to clamp.

Pat