PDA

View Full Version : My little gloat - there are still bargains around

Timleech
04-22-2008, 01:27 PM
I've struggled quite a few times over the years for want of some decent heavy duty pulling equipment, especially so last year. I looked at hiring stuff, couldn't find anything guaranteed to be better than what I had, and buying new was way out of the question.

Got this last week in an online auction, it's 20 miles away:-

http://www.goindustry.com/en/marketplace/machine-tools-welding-and-fabrication/miscellaneous/heavy-duty-hydraulic-bearing-flange-and-splitter-kit-equipmentdetails-1331386.asp

I was up to my ears on viewing day, so didn't go & only had the pictures to go on.
There only seemed to be one other bidder, I got it for the reserve, in fact it looked as though they dropped the reserve near the end.
Went to collect this morning, not thinking too hard about it, just a few puller bits to throw in the back of the car. Doesn't look much in the pics, does it?
Arrived there, the guys said "this'll be fun!" and wheeled out a pallet with three large wooden cases, each of them I could only just lift one end off the ground. Total weight I'll guess at 900 pounds, the poor estate car sagged a bit :(
Included is a brand new 50 ton hydraulic puller kit with hollow ram, strongback, 10000 psi hand pump etc, along with three large/very large bearing separators, 3-leg puller attachment, extenders, internal puller etc etc.
New price today of at least 3,500 and the critical hydraulic stuff is all unused.
One big drawback, as I hadn't really though through the scale of it all, where the f*ck do I put it??

Oh, & the ram wouldn't be any good for a log splitter, only 3" stroke & single acting ;)

Tim

Daminer
04-23-2008, 03:03 AM
Ain't it great to grab a good'un once in awhile?....It's like your getting "Andy Worhols" (sp) 15 minutes of fame.....

small.planes
04-23-2008, 03:29 AM
Maybe you could borrow some floor off Sir John ;)

Dave

Your Old Dog
04-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Are you going to have to change professions to use it to potential? :D Corngrats on the score.

Timleech
04-23-2008, 12:34 PM
Are you going to have to change professions to use it to potential? :D Corngrats on the score.

So long as it gets used average once a year, & so long as I can find somewhere sensible to keep it (working on that this evening), I reckon it'll be money well spent. Should still be worth what I paid when I retire ;) It would certainly be good to get it earning money more regularly, I'll be letting a few people know that the gear is available. I'm the wrong age to be lugging that sort of heavy gear around on a daily basis, though :(

Tim

Rustybolt
04-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Oh, & the ram wouldn't be any good for a log splitter, only 3" stroke & single acting

Used one of those to put a flywheel back onto a 100 ton press. Congradulations on your find.