PDA

View Full Version : Elliott Omnimill 00 turret spacer

derekm
04-24-2008, 08:55 AM
Have any of the Elliott Omnimill 00 owners here tried inserting a spacer to lift the vertical head up higher? I'm thinking of putting in a 180mm x 100mm spacer made out of turned cast iron to recover some space from the collet chuck and vice.

thistle
04-24-2008, 10:04 AM
I have an elliott 181 plain horizontal.

that is the same as 00 but with out the vert head.

I dont see why you could not do this .

looking at the top of my machine and the parts manual, it will probably be fairly easy.

i found a universal head that fits in the overarm hole for my machine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mudskipper/P1130160.jpg

derekm
04-25-2008, 03:50 AM
I'm a little ahead of myself since I only just got it (a late model-2hp Int 30 - in reasonably good nick, no rust no marks, complete apart from knobs off a few handles, and stiff from the lube drying out)

I see you have one of the later 181s with the int 30 spindle. is that an Er40 collet chuck? where did you get it?

thistle
04-25-2008, 11:07 AM
- yes it is #30 int - which is nice as my other Wells Index mill has the same taper

the machine is metric

the chuck is Polish from Toolmex- Bison eR 32 bought from Penn Tool in the US

the top of the machine where the over arm on you machine goes, is actualy scraped , so if i had a donor head it would go right on there.

i actually use it a lot with a big face mill for square stuff up , stuff that is not so easy on the vertical mill.

do you have the power feed motor driving the table , or the belt drive from the main motor?

reason i ask is i want a frame number for the motor, my is a special motor with an adapter, I am thinking that it would have been a c face standard frame motor normally.

also, need to figure out about the change gears missing some and am not sure about the type of gear they are .

the handles are really crap, i reade them out of alluminium.be nice to put a handle at both ends of the table, have a blank to do this , but it has been pushed down the list of priorities.

derekm
04-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Mine is an imperial model but is completely standard with an original feed motor and full set of feed gears. From the gunk in the tracks for stops and the fact that feed clutch handle is missing (to stop students using the feed an ex-college unit I was told :rolleyes: ) the feeds havent been used much- guess I got lucky. I will find out more when I take it apart. My main fear is that its been used without lubrication as there appears to be some signs of trying to free the bed and knee. Send me a PM for more info

Derek

doctor demo
04-25-2008, 08:48 PM
I have an elliott 181 plain horizontal.

that is the same as 00 but with out the vert head.

I dont see why you could not do this .

looking at the top of my machine and the parts manual, it will probably be fairly easy.

i found a universal head that fits in the overarm hole for my machine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mudskipper/P1130160.jpg
What drives the vertical head when you have it as the pic shows ?
I have a Kempsmith with a vertical attachment , but you drive it off the horiz. shaft.
Steve

thistle
04-26-2008, 06:24 AM
that is a Porter Cable milling head, it has a 2 1/4 inch arm which happens to fit through the hole for the over arm for the arbor support for the horizontal cutter
it has a shaft thought the arm and a pulley onthe end of that that is luckily lined up with the main motor pulley.

elliott made an attachment for this mill , that fits over the spindle ,and is similar in function .
think it is rare though- i kind of gave up looking for 181 or 00 stuff.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/mudskipper/img13.png

oil mac
04-26-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi Guys,
I also have an Elliott 00 milling machine, Mine has all the toys and is in good condition, I have the vertical geared milling head, locates on to the flange on the horizontal milling spindle front bearing cover, I also have the motorised head which fits on the flange on the top of the machine body, this can be radially moved round and used in various positions as a drilling machine, and set for angular drilling also, And when in an offset angle to vertical will mill angles using the infeed. Using this power head i am always very wary, as one day she took a bite and climbed up the component

As a machine i do not think they are a wonderfull design concept, with the motor controls being almost down at your ankles, and the poxy plastic handwheels! it leaves a lot to be desired, The "feel" on the vertical feed is not great either--- Small handwheel, & heavy table& bracket to lift when setting a fine cut, Still cant be too choosy for an at home machine.

thistle
04-26-2008, 05:28 PM
I got mine for free, so shouldnt complain about her.

they are a no frill s machine for sure, just look at the machined ways and tables, not even ground!

i replaced the hand wheels with metal ones,also mean to put a handle on the other end of the table.

I hate the control set up, what where they thinking ? and may do away with it,and put a control box on an movable arm out where i can actually use it .

i have to re motor the machine , so this wouldnt be the end of the world ,probably go to 3 phase vfd ect

it has a split phase induction motor 115 volts, pulls almost 30 amps starting in high gear! good thing is that this crazy electrical set up meant it didnt get used.

derekm
04-27-2008, 06:09 PM
The handles seem fine to me and the electrical controls are as ergomonic as a one can expect of machine of that age, but i wont be using the original electrical controls as i am rewiring the motors to 240 delta with 3 VFDs. For fine Z feed I am attaching a worm drive on the quill pinion shaft via the quill spring cover.

thistle
04-27-2008, 09:11 PM
problem with the controls is that you have to drop down to hit the controls which brings ones face nearer the spinning cutter!

post some pictures of your machine when its fit enough.