PDA

View Full Version : OT Sorta - Plastic Well Point for shallow wells

snowman
04-24-2008, 01:22 PM
Anybody seen these or used them?

It's a piece of PVC about four feet long, tons of .010 slits in it.

I'm about to put a well in, and thinking it's easier to get a .010 slitting saw and cut my own PVC points...even if I break one installing it, it's no big deal to make another one up.

Just curious if anyone has any experience.

kf2qd
04-24-2008, 03:50 PM
When you think about the number of slits, and teh time it takes to make all those slits, and just which kind of plastic was used in the pipe THEY slitted you might just find that those ready made pieces aren't really all that expensive. You have to have LOTS of slits in order to have enough are for water to flow throug to supply teh pump you are going to be hooking up to this well. And I would expect any pressure from the soil to cause those slipts to squeeze down slightly, which means even more slits are needed than if this section were used , say, in a pond.

If you try to make them by hand you will grow weary of slitting LONG before the job is done.

winchman
04-24-2008, 03:59 PM
From what I've seen, they do a decent job of getting all the swarf out, or maybe they use a process that doesn't generate swarf. Either way, it's something worth taking into consideration, too.

Roger

JeffKranz
04-24-2008, 04:03 PM
I think they are laser cut. I seen them only for drilled wells and not driven points.

snowman
04-24-2008, 05:26 PM
Well, it was working great til I hit clay, and no water above the clay.

davidh
04-24-2008, 06:21 PM
so how much is it for a real well these days ? 30-40 $$$$ a foot ?
if i tried to drive something into the ground much bigger than a 1/4" rod, i could not do it.. we have red clay at 3" below the grass for 100 feet or so. my old drilled well is 270 and the water is not great. needs softening every day plus filters every week and im 7 miles from the biggest freshwater lake in the world. . . .

clutch
04-24-2008, 06:26 PM
A real stainless steel point, 5 ft sections of pipe, drive couplings and a rented electric jack hammer if doing a shallow well. Worked for me and others.

Clutch