PDA

View Full Version : Milling Machine price question

NiftyNev
04-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Is this worth AU$1500.00. Only info so far is it's a Taiwanese mill.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a24/NiftyNev/MillingMachine.jpg

Thanks
Nev

JCHannum
04-28-2008, 07:43 AM
It looks like the Clausing clone sold by Grizzly and others;

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Wood-Mill-Wood-Metalworking-w-Power-Feed/G9977

$1500 is not a bad price if condition warrants. It does look rusty, but it might clean up with no damage. It is worth looking at. Always try to ferret out any accessories that go with the machine. Collets, cutters, boring head, rotary table or dividing head will sweeten the deal.

SGW
04-28-2008, 07:45 AM
It looks like another Kao Fong mill, that were discussed a couple weeks ago or whenever it was. They're pretty decent milling machines. Whether *that* milling machine is still a decent milling machine may be debatable; it looks rather the worse for wear, but pictures can be deceiving.

NiftyNev
04-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Thanks for the replies. It was apparently made by STANDARD MANUFACTURING INDUSTRIES, Taiwan. It does look a little rough in the pics. It's only about an hours drive so I may go and have a look. It would be better than the Seig X3 type I was considering..... or would it?

Nev

Swarf&Sparks
04-28-2008, 08:52 AM
Looks like a solid chunk of iron Nifty,
but with the X3, you have the option of CNC conversion without neeeding a bex and a cuppa tea and a nice lie-down.

tomb
04-28-2008, 10:40 AM
I bought one of these from Grizzly 8 or so years ago. Back then it was around $1900 new. I would think, based on appearance alone, you could bargain down the price a bit. Big question is what comes with it and what condition is it in aside from the rust. I haven't had anything break on my mill yet:)

Tom

NiftyNev
04-30-2008, 05:51 AM
Had a look at the mill today before auction ended. The rust on table is not rust, it's just the way the camera made it look in the photo. I suspect it has taken a tumble at some time so did not bid. There were signs of damage in a couple of spots and a broken bit or two including the belt cover handle. I was the only one who inspected it but it still got bids a touch over AU$2000.00.

Nev

Alan in Oz
04-30-2008, 07:25 AM
Nev, I had a similar machine (Hafco) some time ago, quite a decent little mill. I replace the (China Rope) V belts with Gates toothed ones due to tight radius around the drive pulley and put a VFD on it, quite versatile, bit of a B**** it was a MT3 spindle, R8 I think available from Minitech would have been better. $2k would have been around about new price some 10 years ago.

crrmeyer
04-30-2008, 10:17 AM
Is this worth AU$1500.00. Only info so far is it's a Taiwanese mill.
Thanks
Nev

For reference, I saw one of these AIS (or A1-S) style mills sell in Southern California with probably 100 hours of use (almost perfect condition) with two axis DRO's for $1150 USD. Nice mills for th money, especially with low speeds possible. The only hassle is there were a number of manufacturers selling them and on close inspection they are all a little different. So the spare part situation is questionable. But they are also prettu simple so nit much will break. They have been made since the 1980's and are also referred to as 8x30" mills (the table size).

Charles