PDA

View Full Version : Help: Memory Failing

Cecil Walker
04-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Not only is my memory failing, but undoubtedly so is my ability to use the search function here too!

Do any of you guys remember a discussion on this board about someone from either Aust. or NZ purchasing a set of engine plans (radial?), copying them, then selling the copies at a reduced rate. I remember reading the post but cannot recall the specifics, tried a search but came up empty.

The reason i'm asking is that i'm trying to prevent the same type of scam from possibly happening again.

Thanks, and any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cecil

IOWOLF
04-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Are you slumming Cecil? I haven't seen you here in a while.

Good to see you, sorry I can't help.

Alguy
04-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Nice to see you cecil , I was looking forward to seeing you and your 1919 at names this year, you missed a good show.
Sorry i cant help, i have trouble using the search since the last site update we will have another update in the fall, it probably will not improve with the next update as they generally are for improving revenue.

PTSideshow
04-29-2008, 06:17 AM
Hey CW missed ya at NAMES this year. The search function on the forum doesn't work to well. You can get some results some time if you really put a number of different words in the box and sometimes in different order. Other times it doesn't work at all.
You will have a real pain dealing with the international lawyers.
The bigger problem will be here in the states with the flea bays duplicators. As fast as you shut one down,he will pop up under a different name etc.
Brills plans for carnival equipment and magic is a good example, on the flea. There was six different people claiming to have his originals and selling plans. They could all be true, and that the rub. They are copying the mimeographed plans or selling disks of groups of plans. He like Kobel of the sideshow/circus picture fame sold multiple sets of the originals to people later in life. I know of 4 legitimate sets of Kobel's negatives.
There is supposed to be a process were the plans can not be copied by the xerox type process. But I never have been able to find out much more than hearsay about it.
Good luck!:D

oldtiffie
04-29-2008, 06:39 AM
There is supposed to be a process were the plans can not be copied by the xerox type process. But I never have been able to find out much more than hearsay about it.
Good luck!:D

Hi Glen.

Evan is the Xerox and similar process subject matter expert here. He should be able to advise on this matter.

I do know that there is a process for treating "originals" so that any copy of that original has a big "Copied" printed out on any copy of the original.

I daresay that there are others.

I don't doubt that some would regard anything like that as a "cracking challenge" and set about and crack it - and then advertise it on the web or chat groups and the like.

Evan
04-29-2008, 07:40 AM
In the early days of Xerox machines they couldn't copy light blue. It was sometimes used as a method to defeat copying by printing whatever in light blue ink. Obviously, color copiers don't have that problem and neither do modern b/w copiers.

There are also other security features in currency that depend on certain inabilities of the xerographic process but that wouldn't apply to preventing casual copying of a set of plans.

I do know that there is a process for treating "originals" so that any copy of that original has a big "Copied" printed out on any copy of the original.

There have been attempts to do that by using a very fine pattern of thin background lines that are too fine for the machine to reproduce properly. It gives the original a light grey cast. When copied the spatial resolution of the copier isn't good enough to to sample the image at the Nyquist frequency and it produces an alias instead. The original lines have very tiny offsets that spell the word "COPY" in the resulting image.

PTSideshow
04-29-2008, 08:36 AM
What you have described must be what they are talking about Evan. As it seems to be another of the oft repeated urban myth.

I do know that when another guy who sells plans and books. And does own the intellectual property rights to a book he is going to re publish. Sees his stuff posted on line he contacts the IP of the site with documentation of his ownership and they have removed it. Don't know if that would work out country unless you would use the legalize in the treaty regarding the international agreements.
:D

oldtiffie
04-29-2008, 10:25 AM
Don't know if that would work out country unless you would use the legalize in the treaty regarding the international agreements.
:D

Thanks Glen.

It should "work" in any country with which the USA has a "Free Trade Agreement" (FTA) as it has with OZ.

pcarpenter
04-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Cecil--Your searching ability may be fine. There was a topic I started here a while back and the concensus was that the search function is screwed up. Some mentioned the inability to search on short words (three letters or less?) I have seen lots of wierd behavior.

Jacampb2 (Jason) recommended just using Google, which allows you to restrict the search to this site by specifying the URL. Might be worth a try.

Paul

Swarf&Sparks
04-29-2008, 10:43 AM
FWIW, I noticed this on a recent post.
Can't vouch for it, I haven't tried.

http://www.rollmeover.com/google_search_hsm.htm

Cecil Walker
04-29-2008, 11:23 AM
Thanks guys, good to be missed too. I did find the post, trouble is that is was not on the HSM BB...it was on FAME. Guess my memory is to blame after all. I visit this site daily but only go to the FAME BB about 3-4 times per year, so i will use that an an excuse.

Didn't get to NAMES this year as we did the Indianapolis Gun Show (Indy 1500) in March. It would have been too much traveling to turn around and go to Toledo.

I may not have posted much lately, but i still check in almost daily, been kinda busy both at work and in the shop.

Cecil