PDA

View Full Version : Question for the masses - selling machines on the site

spope14
04-30-2008, 09:02 PM
It has been a while since I posted, but I have a few machines for sale from the school shop where I teach. Some are machines I have heard about on the site such as Racine power hacksaws, others are a few odds and ends tools. This is a school sale, I make nothing out of it personally and would never know if you bid due to my seperation from the process - intentional. However, knowing a few of these items may interest members on the site, i am asking permission to post pics of the items.

Thanks.

tiptop
04-30-2008, 11:48 PM
I don't know what the rules are, but I am always interested in pictures of tools for sale or otherwise. I would also like another power hacksaw. Maybe a PM.
Jay

oldtiffie
04-30-2008, 11:54 PM
I would hope that it would be OK as the OP is not touting for business or pushing his own interests. It is only a "for info" matter after all and doing the members here a favour.

The OP is at "arms length" and that is about as good as it gets.

If in doubt - PM or email Craig Foster or George Bulliss at Village Press.

sidegrinder
04-30-2008, 11:58 PM
I say let 'er flicker ;) Where are you located?

JRouche
05-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Well my take on it is you are a valuable contributor to the site for what its designed for and there shouldnt be a prob for you to say hey, have this great deal that may help someone, here are the pics and prices.. Not even the same as Joe Schmoe the metal dealer posting here for the sole purpose of making money.. JR

gundog
05-01-2008, 01:11 AM
Just send me all the pictures I will let you know if anyone else needs to see them.
Mike

Paul Alciatore
05-01-2008, 01:19 AM
When I joined there was a strict rule against posting any business or sales related items. After all, the board is sponsored by Village Press and they sell advertising space in their magazines so they see or at least saw it as a conflict. I personally do not feel that a company that has an advertising budget will stop spending it is they are allowed to post occasional messages about their products. On the other hand, too many such posts would interfere with the purpose of the board. And we would start getting posts for pills and cheap watches and heaven knows what else. I have some items for sale but have always honored their wishes.

I searched for any mention of this and could not find it at the present time. Perhaps they have changed their minds. I don't know.

You should ask one of the moderators or administrators.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showgroups.php

Evan
05-01-2008, 04:02 AM
I searched for any mention of this and could not find it at the present time. Perhaps they have changed their minds. I don't know.

It's buried in the welcome message to the Third Hand forum.

....In other words, any help you need can be solicited here. One thing we insist upon, however; this is not a place to sell something. Also, out of courtesy to the helper, the offer of payment for photocopies and postage is certainly in order.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/index.php

They used to mention it in the user agreement but that vanished after the switch to vBulletin BBS software.

I also think this is a question for the management.

Alistair Hosie
05-01-2008, 04:03 AM
I can't see any harm also in passing on good information to your friends this is very different from selling your own wares or touting for business good luck as far as I can see your doing some here a favour.Alistair

Peter N
05-01-2008, 04:15 AM
You can post the information and picture links here for free: http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/ , and then just put a post on here directing potential buyers to have a look.

Peter

IOWOLF
05-01-2008, 06:20 AM
George has opened the door for this type of post when he let what's his face do it. IMHO

So as long as you are not making money on it, or you are doing it out of desperation,or just because you want to.

JCHannum
05-01-2008, 06:38 AM
It is, of course, the moderator's decision, and Neil or George should be contacted by PM. I am quite happy with the situation as it is, with no advertising. There are plenty of places to sell items for whatever reason.

If sales are to be allowed, there should be a separate forum established, and they should not be posted in the General forum.

wierdscience
05-01-2008, 08:26 AM
Scott isn't the one selling the stuff the school is and he is just wanting to give us a heads up incase someone here is close by and could benifit.

It's no different than posting a link to an ebay auction,I say go for it it will help the school and possibly someone here.

John Stevenson
05-01-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm also in agreement as it's not an indivual that scores from this.

However it's the moderators decision.

George Bulliss
05-01-2008, 09:04 AM
Village Press does have a policy against selling items on the board and we have no intention of changing things at this time. The case that Iowolf mentioned involved a guy that had a desperate need to unload his entire shop. I made an exception in that case but a sale by a school system is a different matter.

Thanks for asking spope14, but I am going to stick with the no advertising rule. Members have the opportunity to contact you through PM and you should be able to distribute the information offsite.

George

Paul Alciatore
05-01-2008, 10:28 AM
The PM board has a separate forum for posting items for sale.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/index.php

Pete H
05-01-2008, 10:51 AM
The Chaski site has a "Buy, Sell, Swap, Trade" forum. No restrictions except that it be non-commercial; they have a separate forum for that.
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/index.php

IOWOLF
05-01-2008, 01:17 PM
Here also.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/

Fasttrack
05-01-2008, 01:31 PM
There have been quite a few threads asking for a seperate section for selling items, OT posts, etc but you know what, I actually like it just the way it is.

I recently joined the PM forum and it works out pretty well. The HSM forum seems like a closer knit of friendly individuals where as PM has so many different sub-forums that its somewhat intimidating. You don't really get a sense of who it is your talking to (with a few notable exceptions)

I like their antique and specific machine forums, but I also like the "small-town" feel of the HSM forum. Between the two forums, I've got nothing to complain about ;)

So, if you guys want to sell something - join the PM forum and post in their for sale area. If you want to discuss guns, Danica Patrick, fuel prices, turning a drill press into a mill and the best way oil, post over here. :D

spope14
05-01-2008, 09:51 PM
I will defer to the judgement of the Moderators as I asked the question with this respect before listing items. The info is on the PM site with pics.

Thanks for the reply

mark61
05-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Just having your location on your header would help! Where are you? Why doesn't EVERONE have some kind of location/ area listed?

mark61

IOWOLF
05-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Just having your location on your header would help! Where are you? Why doesn't EVERONE have some kind of location/ area listed?

mark61

True but the question has been answered, Should this thread be locked?

Alistair Hosie
05-02-2008, 12:39 PM
I understand why this is not allowed and accept that albeit not direct selling by anyone should we be disallowed in futurefrom sending on tips to prospective buyers from ebay.Anyway I think the message has been driven home byn the moderator however I don't blame the poor chap from trying to be nice.I am not in favour of hocking goods here that is well known but this seemes to me to be innocent enough gesture now that it's been explained fair enough .Alistair

spope14
05-02-2008, 03:08 PM
Never noticed there was no location on my posts. It is Claremont, NH.. I have been posting here a fair bit over the years, should be no stranger, but have not changed much on the profile since the page turned formats.

IOWOLF
05-02-2008, 03:10 PM
So fix it, being here for 6 plus years, you should know how. :)

spope14
05-02-2008, 07:52 PM
IO, I once had the location, but the format changed and to be frank, I took a while off the forum due to some unfortunate circumstances in life for those around me. Kind of slipped my mind all said and done and never really noticed it until now, so I am actually pretty glad many told me about this.

I am fixing it, glad someone noticed.

As for those who may have been unfortunately offended by the thread, not much I can do about it. For those with great answers, Thanks.