PDA

View Full Version : Router collet question?

gundog
04-30-2008, 10:38 PM
Do they make an interchangeable collet setup (other than factory OEM) that could be used in a wood router that can turn 20,000 RPM?

I have bought a CNC router table and I am using a Milwaukee 3.5HP router, Milwaukee only makes a 1/4" & 1/2" collet for this router. I would like to have some other sizes to expand my selection of bits that I could use. I would at the very least like to have a 3/8" collet if not a few othe sizes.

Is there something out there that could be chucked in the 1/2" collet and be safe at router speeds?

I thought about turning a bushing but I am not sure how accurate it would have to be and what it would need to be made from. I would not want something to fly apart and injure myself or a bystander.

I plan on eventually adding a VFD high speed spindle after I make a few $$ with this thing but I did not have the extra $$ on the original purchase.
Mike

Lew Hartswick
04-30-2008, 10:41 PM
Are you sure Milwaukee dosent make a 3/8" collet? I know that
DeWalt does but it costs an arm and a leg. :-)
...lew...

gundog
04-30-2008, 10:46 PM
Are you sure Milwaukee dosent make a 3/8" collet? I know that
DeWalt does but it costs an arm and a leg. :-)
...lew...

I am not 100% positive but a guy on another forum had called Milwaukee and they said no not for the model 5625 the 3.5 HP model. I did not call them myself but that is what I read. They do list a 3/8" collet but supposenly it does not fit the big router.
Mike

tiptop
04-30-2008, 11:45 PM
gundog,
I use sleeves I got from Freud router bits, to make my 1/2" collet smaller. They seem to be very accurite. Jay

Alan Smith
05-01-2008, 04:42 AM
I can usually get collets of all sizes from Trend (UK) or Freud. Sleeving down is an option or buy an extension with appropriate size collets. This can be handy but only in the larger routers with good robust bearings.

This was just the first one I found on Google http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/orderstatus/html/smarthtml/pages/router_collet.ht

I'm sure there are better ones.

kf2qd
05-01-2008, 08:43 AM
YOu should have no problem with a sleeve if you turn the OD & ID in 1 setup. As teh sleeve is inside the collet there is no place for it to go except against the collet so there is no danger from it "exploding" unless the collet explodes. MAke it a very good fit on the bit and then slot it so it has some give. My dad has a Makita router that uses sleeves for 1/4 & 3/8 bits in a 1/2 collet.

gundog
05-01-2008, 11:17 AM
Thanks Alan I get their catalog but never noticed those bushings I just ordered the set. I have an extension for routers but I have read from the Shopbot forum that bearings don't last long in these CNC routers and I would think using an extension would be even harder on the bearings.
Mike

Oldbrock
05-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Bought a set of router bits for my plunge router only to discover they had metric shanks. Can't waste them, made a collet out of 1045. What I'm saying is make your own, any size you need. Assume you have a lathe as you are on this site. Peter

djc
05-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Do they make an interchangeable collet setup (other than factory OEM) that could be used in a wood router that can turn 20,000 RPM?

...Milwaukee only makes a 1/4" & 1/2" collet for this router. I would like to have some other sizes to expand my selection of bits that I could use.

You can easily buy both ER11 and ER16 1/2" straight shank holders (for example eBay 150232396277). I have not personally seen ER20 with a 1/2" shank but it probably exists.