PDA

View Full Version : Titanium question

hwingo
04-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Hi Guys,

I have a quick question about turning, drilling, milling and tapping Ti alloy. I've never messed with the stuff. Is this a tricky material to work with. Is it a hard metal or is it more like turning aluminum.

Is it hard to turn, mill, drill or tap?

Thanks,

Harold

A.K. Boomer
04-30-2008, 10:51 PM
Is it hard to turn, mill, drill or tap?

Thanks,

Harold

Only when it starts on fire.:eek:

sconisbee
04-30-2008, 11:04 PM
Most if not all of the Ti alloys work harden very quickly, in some respects machining it is similar to machining 300 series stainless. try to avoid really really shallow "rubbing" cuts and use slow speeds if using HSS.

beta alloys are the more difficult titaniums to work with but if common sense is followed thy shouldnt present that much difficulties.

Like stainless Ti doesnt conduct heat all that well so you will find heat concentrating at the tool tip and be aware that at cutting temperatures it can have a tendancy to gall and smear, its also "springier" than steel again requiring the use of heavier cuts and short overhangs, but again similar to stainless and can be quite hard on toollife.

C2 grade carbide for face milling and turning, but use M42 for drilling, tapping and end milling, at least thats what ive been advised on in the past, use coolant if you can and keep feedrates up, i wont comment that much on surface speed as that depends alot on the grade of titanium you are using.

Above all keep tools sharp and keep an eye out for tool wear, as with Ti the moment the tool starts to wear things go down hill very quickly

Grinding Ti is a different story all together and can cause trouble.

Good luck!:D oh and its not really that bad to work with, and the commercially pure grades generally TIG weld really well:D

hwingo
04-30-2008, 11:12 PM
Only when it starts on fire.:eek:

I was aware that Magnesium could start a fire but I was unaware that Titanium would behave like Magnesium. Does Ti burn like Magnesium?

Harold

b2u44
04-30-2008, 11:48 PM
As a dust or powder, most Ti alloys burn. Some can burn in bar form, others are fine. Slow speeds (150 ft/min or less) and coolant are the keys to long tool life with carbide tools. Uncoated carbide is your best bet -- TiN or other coatings don't help much.

hwingo
05-01-2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks guys for your responses.

Will have to give this material a try.

Harold:)