PDA

View Full Version : Another near addiction, new motorcycle

Dawai
05-01-2008, 03:13 AM
Lil brother has gotten the bug. He was always separated by distance and difference of hobbies from me.

He has been hanging out in my machine shop, and done his first ground up construction bike. Not a stretched out, but a nice damn rider. I am proud of him. NO bike or custom construction experience, no harley experience other than slightly customizing the other bike with *paint and chrome. HE chose every part and installed it himself. I think he slept next to it a night or two. No extra parts on the wall there.. No waste. THIS IS NOT A BOX kit BIKE.

NO machine shop tools were violated during the construction of this motorcycle. AND yes.. they do not just bolt together, things have to be fitted. No standardization of parts. Mostly Midwest, some Vtwin parts. Ultima engine and transmission, frame. Mostly all American made.

This is the first start up. Hot chrome and exhaust in a small harley shed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UERLtcvnHdc
The obsessive compulsive gene hit more than one brother.
It is tagged, and brakes bled, minor cosmetic things left to do.

Note: A air condtioning vacuum pump hooked to the brakes makes a excellent bleeder.. pulled the fluid through, the air out.. I made a aluminum jar lid to go onto a fruit jar today to install the tubing into as a catch jar. That worked out so well.. I was saving the pump to do vacuum forming of plastic in the powdercoat oven.

I guess I have touched another life, for the better or worse. It is not impossible to build a bike from parts sourced without a machine shop.. but he'll tell you it made it much easier on some parts.

Alistair Hosie
05-01-2008, 04:00 AM
If I ever had a bike "too late now of course"that's the kind I'd like older style well done to brother Alistair

x39
05-01-2008, 08:13 AM
Note: A air condtioning vacuum pump hooked to the brakes makes a excellent bleeder.
Good idea! Couldn't watch the video, I've got dial up out here in the sticks. Hope your brother stays safe on his new ride.

wierdscience
05-01-2008, 08:20 AM
Cool!Nice looking bike.

I got two brothers,both older than me,funny part is one has grown apart from me over time and the other has grown closer,wasn't the way I figured it would be.

torker
05-01-2008, 10:05 AM
David.. you have a right to be proud of him! Nice job on the bike!
Russ

Ken_Shea
05-01-2008, 10:17 AM
David,
That is one seriously nice looking and sounding bike, bet your brother is thrilled.

gnm109
05-01-2008, 10:21 AM
Lil brother has gotten the bug. He was always separated by distance and difference of hobbies from me.

He has been hanging out in my machine shop, and done his first ground up construction bike. Not a stretched out, but a nice damn rider. I am proud of him. NO bike or custom construction experience, no harley experience other than slightly customizing the other bike with *paint and chrome. HE chose every part and installed it himself. I think he slept next to it a night or two. No extra parts on the wall there.. No waste. THIS IS NOT A BOX kit BIKE.

NO machine shop tools were violated during the construction of this motorcycle. AND yes.. they do not just bolt together, things have to be fitted. No standardization of parts. Mostly Midwest, some Vtwin parts. Ultima engine and transmission, frame. Mostly all American made.

This is the first start up. Hot chrome and exhaust in a small harley shed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UERLtcvnHdc
The obsessive compulsive gene hit more than one brother.
It is tagged, and brakes bled, minor cosmetic things left to do.

Note: A air condtioning vacuum pump hooked to the brakes makes a excellent bleeder.. pulled the fluid through, the air out.. I made a aluminum jar lid to go onto a fruit jar today to install the tubing into as a catch jar. That worked out so well.. I was saving the pump to do vacuum forming of plastic in the powdercoat oven.

I guess I have touched another life, for the better or worse. It is not impossible to build a bike from parts sourced without a machine shop.. but he'll tell you it made it much easier on some parts.

I've ridden bikes for many years now. Most of mine have been stock but many of my friends have done bikes like your brother's. It's very satisfying.

A machine shop is not mandatory but it certainly makes things easier. I've made many a spacer and more than a few axles in my little home shop. In fact, that's how I got the tools I have, all for my motorcycles. I've owned about 40 bikes over the past 50 years and I'm not stopping now.

Congratulations to you and your brother! Many happy miles and trails to you! :)

old-biker-uk
05-01-2008, 04:23 PM
"too late now of course"
Alistair - Never too late ! - I have an old pal 82 years old, still has three bikes & rides regularly (if only to the pub)

David - Nice bike but keep reminding him it is 'Rubber side down'
Mark

Tim Clarke
05-01-2008, 10:22 PM
Ya, I like it. Nice red fenders, sounds healthy. Hopefully little brother has a insight of what can happen in a home shop. With the right stuff, you can build whatever pleases you.

Regards, TC

Bob Farr
05-01-2008, 11:50 PM
Lil brother has gotten the bug. *** I am proud of him. NO bike or custom construction experience, no harley experience other than slightly customizing the other bike with *paint and chrome. HE chose every part and installed it himself. I think he slept next to it a night or two. No extra parts on the wall there.. No waste.

You should both be proud David, that's a damn nice bike! That bug is venomous, and it won't be his last bike build. Here's my latest find, a burned '67 Harley FLH that I'm sure will need a bit of machine work before she rolls again:

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g272/frankenglide/FLHstart1.jpg