PDA

View Full Version : "Y" axis movement

QSIMDO
05-01-2008, 06:07 PM
I've read accounts of "Y" axis slack when milling in a certain direction but hadn't experienced it until last night.
I was using a .375" roughing end mill and, instead of just milling back & forth, when I got to the end of a pass in X I moved the table in Y to circle around the piece.
Well...now I forget in what direction I was going but the handle went dead slack in my hand!
Probably an exaggeration but it fealt like half a revolution before the the slack was out.

So, is this something that can be adjusted out or is it what the doctor says; "if it hurts, don't do that!" ?

smiller6912
05-01-2008, 06:31 PM
It is more than likely "backlash". It is normal clearance in the lead screw and nut. A half turn of the handle is not normal. Most machines have a way to adjust it to a minimum. To check, lock the cross slide down and see how far the handle moves freely. It is not uncommon to have .010-.020 or more play, and it is one of the biggest reasons that I got a DRO.

BobWarfield
05-01-2008, 06:50 PM
Len, scary is when you're feeding, you didn't change direction, and suddenly that "light" feeling is there. That's when you realize you're climb milling with a big ole cutter and it's starting to grab the table and pull it into the cut.

Cheers!

BW

sconisbee
05-01-2008, 07:47 PM
Len, scary is when you're feeding, you didn't change direction, and suddenly that "light" feeling is there. That's when you realize you're climb milling with a big ole cutter and it's starting to grab the table and pull it into the cut.

Cheers!

BW

Make that big ole Expensive cutter:D been there one too many times:o

QSIMDO
05-01-2008, 08:43 PM

Cheers!

BW

I'll bet that's what was going on.
A permutation thereof at least.
I probably was taking a deep cut on the side of the cutter too.

oldtiffie
05-02-2008, 01:17 AM

Cheers!

BW

Make that big ole Expensive cutter:D been there one too many times:o

Make that big ole blunt/not-sharp(enough??) Expensive cutter???