PDA

View Full Version : bank of stools I am making made for my son and his wife to be in july

Alistair Hosie
05-02-2008, 12:35 PM
I made this bank of stools designed for putting on shoes etc. They were made and designed by me after I saw a reasonably similar larger set in a Glasgow art gallery.They are made from 120 year old Oregen Pine and Sapelle hope you like them .They still have to be secured to the base so spacing is not yet set for those of you who think it is not straight.Hope you aprove Alistair

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/tybachdai/IMG_0854.jpg

Alan Smith
05-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Alistair, that's lovely work. The pine looks well, what finish have you used on it?

Alan

snowman
05-02-2008, 01:19 PM
your cup is empty

BobWarfield
05-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Beautiful Alistair--love the design! Your choice of woods complements very nicely.

Now there's just one thing that's troubling me, but fortunately you haven't fixed them to the base. Why would you waste such wonderufl stools for putting on shoes when you could sit them a little higher and rest your larger end on one while hoisting a tumbler of single malt?

Cheers,

BW

Alistair Hosie
05-02-2008, 03:41 PM
Alan water based varnish quick drying non gloss finish I've used it before and had great results as |I don't like too high a gloss it will mellow down in the morning to matt.Bob You've given me an idea larger stool more whiskey good lad thanks for kind words guys it means a lot to me as I have just got back to my woodshop after an absence of 2 years so I am thrilled I can be there again.Alistair

matador
05-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Beautiful work,Alistair.There's something of a warmth in wood that metal simply can't match.I especially like the contrast between the types of wood.That must have been a fair sized hunk of Oregon Pine:).
Glad you are able to do a bit of the work you like.Consider it therapy!And what a wonderful present for the young 'uns.All the best.Hans.

oil mac
05-02-2008, 05:50 PM
Nice work Alistair, Good proportions,& the contrasts in wood is really atractive, Give you120%

JBL37
05-02-2008, 07:45 PM
Nice work. There are better words in the dictionary to describe your work. May I find them some day. Jim

aostling
05-02-2008, 09:08 PM
Nice work. There are better words in the dictionary to describe your work. May I find them some day.

Yes, where it grows on the west coast of North America, this wood is called Douglas-fir. Named after a Scottish botanist.

It's not a pine, and not a true fir.

abn
05-03-2008, 02:15 AM
Nice work and finish...

Tony
05-03-2008, 02:59 AM
Are those holes in the back of the seats?
You could hang some big files in there :)

Beautiful. Sure there isn't another spot open in that art gallery?

Curious: are those seats solid, or built-up? They look to be single
pieces from the photo.. heavy?

Again, beautiful.

-Tony

Evan
05-03-2008, 03:55 AM
Very nice Alistair. You won't mind if I steal your design will you? I wouldn't normally do that but in this case I'll make an exception. :D

Come over to visit some time and you can have your pick of trees to replace the stock. I have about 10,000 of them. :)

Alistair Hosie
05-03-2008, 06:02 AM
The seats are made from reclaimed 8x8 inch wood that held up my neighbours porch for 120 years .I glued with gorilla glue 2 pieces you can just see the dividing line also the black spots are ebony insets a kind of trade mark of mine thanks guys Alistair

Your Old Dog
05-03-2008, 08:38 AM
The seats are made from reclaimed 8x8 inch wood that held up my neighbours porch for 120 years .I glued with gorilla glue 2 pieces you can just see the dividing line also the black spots are ebony insets a kind of trade mark of mine thanks guys Alistair

Great workmanship Alistair. Must say I'm sorry to hear you had to use a 120 year old log to accomplish this project. I'm able to get brand new stuff hear for a song and a dance :D I couldn't be more pleased that you finally broke with the green paint!

All the best Alistair,
Ray.......

Dawai
05-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Knowing my buddy there in Scotland.. I must point out you left out the "HOLE" in the mass toilet seats.. where do you slide the bucket underneath?

Geeze.. China makes them toilet seats everyday.. look at the one Doc bought me for my birthday gift..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/ibewgypsie/FlamedToiletseat.jpg

(okay, I've pulled your string..)

Hang in there.. do you have a picture of your shop with wood shavings on the tools????? I'd like very much to see the museum before you swept it..

(want to have some fun with the wife? take the lid up on the toilet seat, lay saran wrap over the bowl and put the ring back down, when she runs in there and pees.. OHH WHAT A SURPRISE)

Alistair Hosie
05-03-2008, 11:01 AM
that's my wood shop not my metal shop so hence the wood shavings the saran wrap or cling film as it's known here is an old trick here .I once carefully placed some stink bombs under the seat of the toilet in my mother in laws house when My brother in law went in for a read of the paper , he was soon scuttling out with his trolleys round his ankles:DAlistair

garyphansen
05-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Alistair: Are you going to use the holes in the back to install seat backs? If so what do they look like? Or don't you know because you have not made them yet? Gary P. Hansen

Alistair Hosie
05-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Gary no finished as is these are not holes they are filled with black ebony to surface sorry picture is not clear.Alistair

Al Messer
05-03-2008, 05:05 PM
Very gud job of it, Laddie!!

Dawai
05-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Alistair..

Was over a buddies house.. he had a toilet seat hanging on the wall.. I was kinda interested what he had under it so I lifted the lid.. there was his ex-wife's picture.. Framed forever more with a toilet lid..

Alistair Hosie
05-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Good one dave .Well it's been delivered and installed to rapturous applause er a hearty thanks.I am glad the both liked it or loved it thanks to verybody for your kind encouragement to an old dodderer well some days :DAlistair and a special thanks to my good friend mr Cofer god bless him.

Alistair Hosie
05-04-2008, 03:45 PM
No back being put on the stools Gary just stools the way they are backs would spoil it in my opinion.Alistair

garyphansen
05-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Alistair:

When you said that you had inlaid ebony in the top of the stools I went back and look at the photo again and still could not see it. My mind had already told me there were holes in the back of the seats so I was seeing holes and not inlays. Nice work and nice design. Gary P. Hansen

Alistair Hosie
05-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Yes Gary the 4 holes were made with a large forstner bit and then I turned some ebony I had on the woodturning lathe exactly to fit and popped them in with some glue underneath then when all was dry I sanded down carefully and varnished .so the 4 black holes are really filled with ebony plugs.Alistair

john hobdeclipe
05-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Nice looking work!