PDA

View Full Version : yet another crazy counterfeit......

J Tiers
05-03-2008, 11:22 AM
This showed up elsewhere....... hopefully hasn't been posted here, I did search......

Really blatant attempt to just get money with no concern for anything.

http://www.schneider-electric.co.uk/internet/pws/pws.nsf/luAllByID/F2DAEE42760F06F3802573F3004D040C

In a way, I think something like this (presumably from china) is WORSE than the contaminated drugs and toothpaste etc......

For those, you can't see the problem, and one can almost understand a person not realizing the problem.

But a "product" which deliberately has none of the parts inside that make it work, that is just directly fraudulent, with no excuse possible.

It is a mechanical product that almost anyone could grasp the concept of. There is virtually no chance of a "misunderstanding". You know that the people involved are really just the same as folks who knock you on the head and take your wallet.

barts
05-03-2008, 11:45 AM
It is a mechanical product that almost anyone could grasp the concept of. There is virtually no chance of a "misunderstanding". You know that the people involved are really just the same as folks who knock you on the head and take your wallet.

Yup... it's unfettered, uncontrolled capitalism - caveat emptor "Let the buyer beware". We may complain about lawyers, and government regulations, but without the real threat of either civil or criminal penalties, there are always some who find their need for gaim outweighs all else.

One has only to examine the executives and traders of Enron, the stock option backdating scandel , or any of the long list of companies that have concealed adverse information about their products to see that such behavior - and the need for real consequences for such duplicity - is universal.

- Bart

lazlo
05-03-2008, 12:43 PM
In a way, I think something like this (presumably from china) is WORSE than the contaminated drugs and toothpaste etc......

But a "product" which deliberately has none of the parts inside that make it work, that is just directly fraudulent, with no excuse possible.

There's also a thriving market in counterfeit prescription drugs that are arriving in the west from China: chemotherapy drugs, TamiFlu, Lipitor, ...

The scary part is that, according to a 60 Minutes episode, these are arriving as mass-market counterfeits and showing up in your local Walgreens, Rite-Aid, HEB, .... The story included a tragic story of a young Wife/Mother who died because a dose of her regular cancer drug turned out to be an inert counterfeit.

Apparently there's no system in place to track prescription drugs when they leave the pharmaceutical companies as they're propagated through the distribution chain, so a dis-reputable middle-man can slip in some counterfeits, and by the time they show up at a pharmacy he's long gone.

By the way, they showed the counterfeits, and they were unbelievably accurate, down to the bar codes on the bottles, the colors/shapes of the pills, even the instruction sheets.

The Chinese counterfeiter they interviewed said they have contacts in the West who send them the most recent drugs...

retusaf99
05-03-2008, 01:57 PM
There's also a thriving market in counterfeit prescription drugs that are arriving in the west from China: chemotherapy drugs, TamiFlu, Lipitor, ...

The scary part is that, according to a 60 Minutes episode, these are arriving as mass-market counterfeits and showing up in your local Walgreens, Rite-Aid, HEB, .... The story included a tragic story of a young Wife/Mother who died because a dose of her regular cancer drug turned out to be an inert counterfeit.

Apparently there's no system in place to track prescription drugs when they leave the pharmaceutical companies as they're propagated through the distribution chain, so a dis-reputable middle-man can slip in some counterfeits, and by the time they show up at a pharmacy he's long gone.

By the way, they showed the counterfeits, and they were unbelievably accurate, down to the bar codes on the bottles, the colors/shapes of the pills, even the instruction sheets.

The Chinese counterfeiter they interviewed said they have contacts in the West who send them the most recent drugs...
Now that's scary! Unfortunately, I've had this sinking feeling in my stomach that the sh** is about to hit the proverbial fan. To wit:

Gas prices way up, probably for no good reason.

Food riots in a number of countries.

US Presidential candidates (all of them) making promises that they can't keep. (Nothing against any of them, but they violate basic physics when they open their mouths and make promises to "Make us independent of foreign oil...)

I'm lucky. I guess. Maybe make the garden a little bigger this year, so we can eat and share some homegrown tomatoes with the neighbors.

Anyone else got a bad feeling?

Doug

John Lawson
05-03-2008, 02:03 PM
This is not news to anyone who has had dealings with the Chinese. They have vowed to leave us a blackened continent with no living thing creeping or crawling across the land.
Call me bigoted, but I thought that Joe Chink looked beautiful in the sights of my M-1 in 1950 and I still think that.
These folks are NOT our friends and they are building the largest fleet of atomic submarines in the world. Does that sound as though they love us?

A.K. Boomer
05-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Relax -- its only a circuit breaker, its not like its something important er sumthin... whats the worst that could happen, what could possibly go wrong, like I say -- relax....

:eek:

Smokedaddy
05-03-2008, 03:38 PM
... nothing like sticking your head in the sand ...

-JWW:

retusaf99
05-03-2008, 05:31 PM
... nothing like sticking your head in the sand ...

-JWW:

I enjoy visiting this forum because I get to read responses from some really smart folks grounded in reality, about a subject that I find interesting. That they take a chance and toss out an opinion on some other issue is OK by me.

I didn't see anyone stick their head in the sand, except for a humorous/sarcastic reply. Am I missing something?

Doug:confused:

IOWOLF
05-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Yea, the Point.

bruto
05-03-2008, 06:08 PM
They just need to adjust the sales pitch. Tired of annoying down time from tripped breakers? Do you suspect your employees of overloading machines, just to get a second daily bathroom break? Move up now, to the amazing new Sino-Tech "No-blo" system. Keep those pesky workers in line. They'll never trip another breaker. Lifetime guarantee (theirs)!

I've heard of similar issues with cheap Chinese automotive fuses. They don't blow. Maybe it's a language problem: blow, suck, what's the difference?

wierdscience
05-03-2008, 08:46 PM
Here's the part that pisses me off-

'Any company has a moral and legal obligation under the HSE and new Corporate Manslaughter and Homicide act (6th April 2008) to take all necessary steps to inform the industry when a potentially fake and dangerous product is brought to their attention. They must also take actions to track down the suppliers of these and the channel through which they are being supplied."

Notice the responsibility falls on the distributor or the company who has been counterfited and not the country of origin in this case China.

Same thing happened in the P&G toothpaste case,it was P&G who had to deal with the aftermath,not the Chinese.

boslab
05-03-2008, 09:22 PM
remember, not all counerfit goods come from china, India is as good a place as any to get counterfit goods, come to think of it most countries have individuals who are quite skilled at counterfiting anything from dollars to rolexes to aircraft parts, expensive branded goods are a target for obveous reasons but nobody thought it was going to end with music cd's and dvd's
we have car parts, drugs and anything else you can think of being forged worse is the way foreward it seems, perhaps we will end up doing the same back as they will inevitably become victims of thier own success
mark

Evan
05-03-2008, 09:55 PM
This is not news to anyone who has had dealings with the Chinese. They have vowed to leave us a blackened continent with no living thing creeping or crawling across the land.
Call me bigoted, but I thought that Joe Chink looked beautiful in the sights of my M-1 in 1950 and I still think that.
These folks are NOT our friends and they are building the largest fleet of atomic submarines in the world. Does that sound as though they love us?

Ok Mr. Lawson, you are a bigot, and apparently an ignorant one too. "Joe Chink" knows nothing about 1950 and likely doesn't care either. He just wonders why he spends long hours assembling garbage to sell to Americans and why in hell would they buy such crap? However, even though he probably thinks we are a bunch of idiots at best the Chinese are not going to kill the goose that keeps sending them golden eggs.

J Tiers
05-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Ungrateful, they are.

Dunno about that "Joe"......... Joe is OK. Seriously. Joe has a girlfriend, or a wife, and really just wants to be left alone to do his thing, same as you.

The problem is, as usual, leaders. Political leaders, business leaders, etc. Quite a few of them OUR leaders. Some of them chinese leaders.

I don't think the chinese leaders really CARE about anything but us continuing to fund them while weakening and impoverishing ourselves. Getting CAUGHT seems to be the problem, NOT the counterfeits.

When caught, the factory vanishes, bulldozed....... What factory??? A couple head honchos get a 9mm headache. Life goes on. There's lots more people, you'd never notice the few that died.

OUR OWN business leaders can't sell their assets to the chinese fast enough.

And YOU keep shopping at Walmart.

Yes there are other places besides Walmart that have chinese goods 99%. And you are not the ONLY person shopping at Walmart.

So what? I don't recall that "everyone else is doing it" was ever a good reason for much of anything.

I'd like the counterfeit thing, especially the drugs, and stupid things like the breaker, to get the most publicity possible. Maybe MORE people will wake up.

BTW, ever take any aspirin?

Know where it is made?

Drugs are NOT required to have any origin on them. Nice, eh? But, most aspirin seems to be made in china.... because YOU can't stand to pay a little more for it, so every store has to have the lowest possible price.

If the aspirin seems not to be working like it used to, maybe it isn't aspirin at all........... In that case, what is it really?

Interesting question. And has to be asked about each individual bottle....