PDA

View Full Version : bridgeport vari-speed adjustment

shoprat
05-06-2008, 01:10 PM
hi again i posted on the other site but havent got a response yet so here goes.i am trying to figure out the proper adjustment of the adjusting screw on top of my bp,i had the head completly tore apart to fix a few things and put new belts on and now it doesnt seem to be the same as the ones at work that i have run so i was hopeing someone here knew how to set it thanks in advance for any help

Fasttrack
05-06-2008, 01:54 PM
I've got a pdf manual for the bridgeport j-head. Maybe that would help? I'm sure you could find it online but I don't remember the web address. If you pm me your email address I can send you the manual.

Mark Hockett
05-06-2008, 03:38 PM
The way i did mine was to use an electronic tachometer and adjusted the screw until the speed matched what the VS dial said. I ran it through the speeds a few times and re-checked it and all was good.

pcarpenter
05-06-2008, 11:29 PM
Manual's of a couple of different vintages are available for download over at the Metalilness site and you will probably just have to go through the adjustment procedure.

I measured the amount of protrusion of the bolt above the top of the housing before disassembly so I could put it back where it was (assuming it was correctly adjusted to start with). I probably even still have that number in my notes, but I would guess its only applicable to my bolt/lock nut/belt housing castings etc.

Paul

shoprat
05-07-2008, 01:57 AM
thanks guys for the replys.i do have the downloaded file,my son got it for me.i thought the tach would be the way to go but i dont have one.the manual just says to run the speed all the way up and adjust the screw until the speed drops but it didnt seem to work to well.i guess ill just keep playing around with it.thanks again for the help