PDA

View Full Version : Not quite foghorns but this is the sound that I love..

speedy
05-07-2008, 06:13 PM
I was working outside on my newest acquisition, a Record 36p vice, when I heard the sound of Tui . Looking about I spied a pair in my Pittosporum tree. It makes my day seeing native bird life in suburbia. If only it was Kokako or Ruru. Although there may be one/some Ruru in the neighbours Kahikatea tree.
http://www.nzbirds.com/birds/birdsong.html

aostling
05-07-2008, 08:04 PM
The ruru really does say "more pork, more pork."

speedy
05-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Hello Allan. My brother who lives up North has a couple that reside in the patch of bush on his small block. At night he calls them in and hand feeds them grubs from his deck. I have done this once; for me it was an incredibly satisfying experience.

Evan
05-07-2008, 10:12 PM
We have a bird here that clearly tweets "Tell me your secret, sweetie".

Lest anyone think I need to cut back on my drugs it is common to describe the song of a bird in terms of what spoken phrase it sounds like. I still haven't been able to see the "secret" bird well enough to identify it. The one that set up territory here last year was especially clear in his song to the point that the word "secret" popped out of his song as if spoken. The only one I have heard so far this year has poor diction so his song only sounds somewhat like the spoken phrase.

aostling
05-08-2008, 12:45 AM
We have a bird here that clearly tweets "Tell me your secret, sweetie".

I'd like to know what this bird is too. Here is a link to some Western Canada wood warbler calls. Is it any of these? http://www.enature.com/fieldguides/view_default.asp?curGroupID=1&source=&parkid=&fromWhere=&searchText=&allSpecies=&shapeID=0&lshapeID=0&curAbbr=&lgFromWhere=&curPageNum=1&lastView=list&lastGroup=1&lastRegion=2218&lastFilter=4&lastShapeName=&trackType=&curRegionID=2218&size=&habitat=&fruit=&color=&sortBy=has+audio&viewType=list&curFamilyID=216&regionSelect=Western+Canada&regionZIP=

Evan
05-08-2008, 01:51 AM
I'll have a look later tonight when I can't sleep. We have quite a number of new species turning up in the last few years as our climate has been warming dramatically. Also, because of the mild winters in general the raptors are doing especially well.