X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Getblksmth
    • May 2001

milling in the lathe

I recently saw a '73 copy of Milling In The Lathe, which describes a "Senior vertical slide". It's basically a vertically mounted milling vise with T-slots parallel and just above the vise jaws.The vise pivots on an angle plate that is atttached directly to the compound slide. Does anyone know where such an animal could be obtained? or detailed plans for building one? It looks like just the ticket for those of us without the space or funds for a seperate milling machine! ps. originally avail in the UK.
    Getblksmth
  • Robert Jones
    • Mar 2001

I have a factory built milling attachment for a lathe in the 14 to 15 inch range. I got it thinking it would work on my 12" but it's too big. It bolts to the compound, swivels, and adjusts vertically. I would part with it for $60. It is heavy, shipping would be in the $15-20 range. Bobby

Comment

• Axel
      • Mar 2001

have a look at this:
      このたびは、当サイトの筋トレ情報コーナーにご来訪いただきまことにありがとうございます。各筋トレ種目の部位別の一覧です。なお、種目に関しては自宅で実施できる「自重トレーニング」「チューブトレーニング」「ダンベルトレーニング」、ジムで行う「マシントレーニング」「バーベルトレーニング」...

Comment

• Randy
        • Apr 2001

I considered buying a Palmgren milling attachment but I thought that the screw was a bit stiff, there was a knob rather than a crank, and an awfully small graduated collar. OK for positioning but not so good for milling cuts. I then considered making a dovetail slide assembly, which was a daunting project. But then I realized, hey, I need three axes of motion, and I have three slides: the carriage, the cross slide, and the compound. Just set up the compound vertically! So I got an angle plate, fasioned one face to fit on top of the cross slide and the other to accept the compound. Fit a small milling vise to the tool post T-slot, and Presto; a solid little milling setup at low expense and bother. (Well, it was some work to modify the angle plate, but a lot less than making a dovetail slide!) The angle plate swivels for angled cuts; the compound doesn't swivel about a horizontal axis like some commercial units, but how often do you need that? (And if I got ambitious I could add that feature.) I did a lot of work with that setup before I got a real milling machine. I'm surprised I've never seen this idea written up in HSM. (Hmm, I suppose I could at least send a letter and a couple of photos...)

Comment

• Randy
          • Apr 2001

P.S.
          I must admit, I had access to a real milling machine to prepare the angle plate. If all you have is your lathe this method might be a head scratcher for a while, but part of the fun of HSMing is dreaming up novel ways to use our limited equipment.

Comment

• SGW
            • Apr 2001

Realize that the milling in the lathe stunt is suitable for SMALL work only. You just don't have the rigidity.

That being said, for small work it can be really handy. I've got good milling machine, but I've also got a vertical slide for the lathe that I use about once every two years for some werid little job for which it's perfect.

An outfit called Metal Lathe Accessories http://www.statecollegecentral.com/m...the/MLA-5.html sells a casting kit for a lathe milling attachment. Andy Lofquist is a prince of a guy, his castings are absolutely top-quality, and his prices are reasonable.
            ----------
            Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
            Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
            Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
            There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
            Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
            Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

• Glenn
              • May 2001

I built a verticle slide for my lathe that workd ok .. untill I got an Atlas built slide. I used a block of aluminum to mount things on, a dovetailed slide to move it and a small palmgren vise to hold things. I have also seen them made with drillrod as the ways for the slide.

Comment

Working...
              X