PDA

View Full Version : Watts hex reamer ?

doctor demo
05-08-2008, 05:44 PM
I needed to buy or make an adapter for my hyd. auger motor, 2'' hex shaft.
I dug out all the watts stuff and was glad to see that I had a2'' hex bit and guide plate, '' this is going to be fun'' I thought. The 2'' bit wouldn't fit in the chuck that fits my lathe, still not ready to give up I put the bit in the proper chuck with a # 4 morse taper put that in a #4 to #3 adapter , now the whole mess is to long to fit in the lathe and still have room for the part.
Not quite ready to give up I decide to make a little adapter to put the bit in the #4 watts chuck that has a #3 morse taper shank. Now were on track!
I chuck up the piece of steel I'm going to use, face it, drill a 1'' hole in it, mount the guide plate to it , put the watts chuck in the tail stock with drill and find that I don't have enough horse power.Not frustrated yet, but getting close. Bore out the part to 1.875''. Back to hexdrilling, 2'' hex 4'' deep . Or so I thought, it looks nice but it is only 1.992'':eek: :mad: .
I don't know if it is a situation of being a ''Watts Rookie ''or if the 2'' five sided hex bit is worn down enough to cut undersize, the guide plate is marked 2'' and measures 2''.The drill is marked 2'' and looks good . So I guess it is file and swear time.:D .
Steve

lazlo
05-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Back to hexdrilling, 2'' hex 4'' deep . Or so I thought, it looks nice but it is only 1.992'':eek: :mad:

The Watts drills are rated for 1 1/2 times the depth of the drill diameter.

Yes, they do take a lot of horsepower. I have a little Watts #1 hex setup, and it's surprising how much power it takes to get it going.

J Tiers
05-08-2008, 09:23 PM
I chuck up the piece of steel I'm going to use, face it, drill a 1'' hole in it, mount the guide plate to it , put the watts chuck in the tail stock with drill and find that I don't have enough horse power.Not frustrated yet, but getting close. Bore out the part to 1.875''. Back to hexdrilling, 2'' hex 4'' deep . Or so I thought, it looks nice but it is only 1.992'':eek: :mad: .
I don't know if it is a situation of being a ''Watts Rookie ''or if the 2'' five sided hex bit is worn down enough to cut undersize, the guide plate is marked 2'' and measures 2''.The drill is marked 2'' and looks good . So I guess it is file and swear time.:D .
Steve

The Watts drills don't take THAT much horsepower.......at least mine does not. In fact, it seemed to go easier drilling a 1/2" square hole than it would be to drill a 1/2" round hole with a twist drill.

I guess it depends on your RPM though. And a 2" isn't likely to be good in a 9" Atlas.....

As far as the size, I bet that is from starting with too big a hole..... Each drill has an optimal size. Best to use that.

Did your 2" drill CALL FOR that 1.875" pilot?

doctor demo
05-09-2008, 12:06 AM
The Watts drills don't take THAT much horsepower.......at least mine does not. In fact, it seemed to go easier drilling a 1/2" square hole than it would be to drill a 1/2" round hole with a twist drill.

I guess it depends on your RPM though. And a 2" isn't likely to be good in a 9" Atlas.....

As far as the size, I bet that is from starting with too big a hole..... Each drill has an optimal size. Best to use that.

Did your 2" drill CALL FOR that 1.875" pilot?
I can't remember how tough it was the last time I drilled a 2'' round hole but it was on a different machine with at least twice the power so its hard to compare. As far as pilot size, it was not going to work with my smaler pilot hole so I increased the size to 1.875'' to make it easier going. So the smaller pilot hole produced a small hex as did the larger pilot.
I did not have any information on pilot /finish hole ratios and did not give it much thought, might need to check in the future. As far as R.P.M. it was 650.
Steve

J Tiers
05-09-2008, 08:15 AM
As far as R.P.M. it was 650.
Steve

650 rpm, 2" drill, SFM is then 340.

For an HSS cutter, that sounds a tad high for any steel that would make an "adapter for a hydraulic motor".....(presumably for the shaft).

Possibly that is part of your problem?

doctor demo
05-09-2008, 10:19 PM
650 rpm, 2" drill, SFM is then 340.

For an HSS cutter, that sounds a tad high for any steel that would make an "adapter for a hydraulic motor".....(presumably for the shaft).

Possibly that is part of your problem?
Typo, that was supposed to read 65 RPM not 650:D . I was shooting for around 50fpm and that would have been around 100 rpm and 65 rpm is as close as I could get , but I think all my speeds are a little higher than is labled. Hmm, sounds like one more excuse to buy a digital tach:D ..
Steve,still filing