PDA

View Full Version : Clevis Pivot Bracket supplier

Ken_Shea
05-09-2008, 08:36 AM
Have spent hours looking at many different suppliers products and cannot locate one in the size needed.

Inside height needs to be 3.375 inches, material thickness 1/4" - 5/16"
Tried MSC, SMC, Parker, Granger, Misumi and many more, although that is not to say I did overlook the availability from these.

Any suggestions where these may be found.

Thanks
Ken

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x175/Ken_Shea/ClevisBracket.jpg

ERBenoit
05-09-2008, 08:53 AM
What is it for? It looks like a bracket for the "V" shaped rollers you would find on a boat trailer. Maybe a marine supply outfit?

Ken_Shea
05-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Good thought ER, I will look into that.

It will be used for support/pivot on a 2"x3.375 steel tubing beam.

Ken

Swarf&Sparks
05-09-2008, 11:34 AM
That looks like maybe a Ronstan-Fico item (marine).
Sit down when you read the catalogue!

Ken_Shea
05-09-2008, 12:00 PM
Sit down when you read the catalogue!

:D

Swarf&Sparks
05-09-2008, 12:56 PM
Hell Ken, you ever seen a Ronstan catalogue?? :eek:

They bring out a price supplement about every other week :(

Ken_Shea
05-09-2008, 01:12 PM
S&S,
Had never heard of them until your mention, I do know that boat stuff can be like purchasing aircraft parts though.

sconisbee
05-09-2008, 01:35 PM
S&S,
Had never heard of them until your mention, I do know that boat stuff can be like purchasing aircraft parts though.

Another reason why im in the marine sector:D

I make a ton of that kinda thing through the year as everyone wants something thats not quite standard/stock. Shame your stateside or i woulda done one to your spec at cost for metal and P&P.

anyway.... if all else fails not trying to be funny and all but... make one?

what kind of load will it see?

Swarf&Sparks
05-09-2008, 01:43 PM
"Another reason why im in the marine sector:D"

Ditto, Sconisbee ;)

I'm constantly amazed at the stupid things yachties want done. But I'm quite happy to take their money.

And we all know how hard that 316SS is to weld, machine, bend.....
:D

lane
05-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Looks like a bracket for a large Bimba air cylinder are and SMC air cyl.

sconisbee
05-09-2008, 03:43 PM
I'm constantly amazed at the stupid things yachties want done. But I'm quite happy to take their money.

LMAO! dont get me started on yachties lol!, im lucky at the moment, got a bunch of work for refiting headers and exhaust pipes for an old lister deisel on a 30 year old fleet tender, the owner is ex navy and said and i quote "screw the finish just make 'er work and ill pay whatever" hes a real nice guy!:D

Hmm didnt think about a bracket for a cylinder, there must be someone that sells that stuff standard out there, (a clevis joint by any other name):D

Swarf&Sparks
05-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Yup, do some work for retired Grey Funnel types down here too.

Funny how the attitude changes when they swallow the anchor and can't get the job on their private pinnace done by some poor bloody rating.

GKman
05-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Any suggestions where these may be found.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x175/Ken_Shea/ClevisBracket.jpg

Any metal fab shop.

Ken_Shea
05-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Sconisbee,
Had I anticipated the difficulty and time wasted looking for one I could have made a dozen of em. Had I made one first, they would of course have been available any where for $5.

Don't know the load, this project is for another person.

Lane, you are correct :)

sconisbee
05-09-2008, 05:06 PM
Sconisbee,
Had I anticipated the difficulty and time wasted looking for one I could have made a dozen of em. Had I made one first, they would of course have been available any where for $5.

Don't know the load, this project is for another person.

Lane, you are correct :)

Lol always the way aint it, any time you make something you find it for a few pence, any time you want to find something stock, you spend hours looking and coulda made tons life is great aint it:D

hope you get it sorted:)

Ken_Shea
05-09-2008, 10:11 PM
GKman,
Good idea but the smaller fab shops are just not around here any longer, the larger shops that are would just be cost prohibitive to have just one made and even then these places often have a way of just getting the job done with no particular attention to how precise it may be, this item needs to be relatively precise because the swing of the arm this will pivot on must move to a precise position with no canting or moving off plane.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Ken

GKman
05-10-2008, 06:47 PM
GKman,
Good idea but the smaller fab shops are just not around here any longer, the larger shops that are would just be cost prohibitive to have just one made and even then these places often have a way of just getting the job done with no particular attention to how precise it may be, this item needs to be relatively precise because the swing of the arm this will pivot on must move to a precise position with no canting or moving off plane.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Ken

I thought that all my life until needed something bad enough to at least run it by a big shop. Had one blade for an 8' Aeromotor windmill I wanted copied X 18. Think it was $128.00. Then it was an expanded metal box big enough for my chainsaw and gas and oil and junk for about $45. A replacement liner for a Ashley wood stove. They just get bored with the same old industrial crap and like to do some odd job once in a while. I always plan it out so that they do the stuff they are fast and good at - shear, brake, roll and I follow up with fitting, drilling, welding, assembling, painting. With the yoke you need, I'd take them a full sized pattern and a spacer to gage the critical inside dimension, have them shear and break it and do the holes myself. They'd likely put it on the "catch you next time" payment plan. Next week it's a stainless side for a new refrigerator. You dont' know til you try.