PDA

View Full Version : Accu-Finish Series II Opinion?

MickeyD
05-09-2008, 10:30 AM
I will be honest, I am not great at freehand sharpening. I can grind a usable rough profile for the lathe, but consistently getting it sharp and straight are not my strong point. And don't even talk about freehanding an endmill or drill bit. Just aint gonna happen. I have a small surface grinder, but between all of the setup kluges needed and having a lot of trouble gettiing my head in close enough to really see what is going on I have not been satisfied. What should be a 2 minute touchup job ends up taking an hour to tear down the previous setup and find all of the pieces to get the angles right, change the wheel in the grinder, etc...

After seeing the Accu-Finish ads in the magazines, I have been interested in their sharpeners because it looked like their setup takes most of the freehand work out of the game. Yesterday I found a used series 2 set at a good price and trying to figure out if it is worth it. I did call the company and they were very helpful on the phone and emailed a manual, so that is a big plus. Is anyone in the group using one of these? Do you like it?

loosescrewmt
05-09-2008, 11:06 AM
We have one at work, and it's probably one of the nicest I've used. It's pretty easy to set the angles needed. The biggest advantage I've found to it is the low speed of the wheels- it won't heat the tools like other grinders. That said, it's also a bit slower to work. I've found that it makes the most sense for production environments to rough the tool on the baldor and then finish on the accufinish. we've got a fine stone for the finishing wheel and getting a mirror finish on carbide is really easy. The tools, when ground right, really last on the CNC hardinge I run.

another plus- morons can't ruin a wheel as fast or as completley. we don't have one decent wheel in the shop at the moment, and when I find out who wrecked them...

carlquib
05-09-2008, 12:46 PM
I have had one for about 4 years now and love it. With the right wheel you can put a mirror finish on just about anything. I have the gun drill attachment and use a ceramic wheel with diamond lapping compound to polish my gun drills. The really good finish that you can give the tool translates to a nicer finish on the work. Since I am cheap I have also been known to touch up inserts too.

-brian

rkepler
05-09-2008, 03:45 PM
My first wife bought me one as a b-day gift, and I've had it something like 10 years now. I really like it, with the "alligator" wheel it can be used to rough in a carbide tool about as fast as a green wheel, and most tools can be taken to a fine edge with the 1200 wheel. It is kind of messy - the ground carbide mud that comes off the 1200 wheel will stay with you a while.

I also hone inserts, particularly on roughing where I don't need any repeatability. You can really make something cut nice with a polished edge - I've even rounded the end of a shaft that had been pounded, taking a cut near a couple tenths. The edge won't last, but the ability to put that edge on there shows the quality of the wheels.

daryl bane
05-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Love mine ! I bought mine to primarily sharpen my scraper blades, but its great for inserts too.

japcas
05-09-2008, 04:45 PM
I have the smaller series 1 grinder. I've had it for about a year now and would highly recommend it. I agree with everything else that has been said. I use mine to touch up inserts. All of my work is on a manual lathe so I'm not worried as much about repeatability as I am getting a nice finish on my part. Sure can get a lot of use out of the insert tip touching them up with the accufinish. The wheels can also be used on HSS. You can really get a sharp tool with it. The table is solid and easy to adjust and so is the miter gage. They are a little bit pricey but I feel like it was a worth while investment.

MickeyD
05-09-2008, 04:51 PM
That is great to hear. I went ahead and got it. It has about 6 wheels and the stand with it, couple of the wheels are chewed up pretty bad, but some look usable. Guess that I need to read the book and start using it. I have to make a short run of disk drive caddies so I am trying to straighten the shop and will make a spot for it. I presently have about 20 server chassis that I am having to modify to go from AC to 48VDC power supplies stacked everywhere and I have to get it under control before I start another project. I guess that I got the shop too clean a month ago so the mess has come back with a vengance. I have a 14" porter cable dry cut saw that I have been running a lot on aluminum extrusions and while it leaves a very nice cut finish, it makes up for it by throwing aluminum snow everywhere.

J Tiers
05-09-2008, 11:17 PM
I have an Accu-Finish that is so old that the Glendo folks didn't even recognize it..... I had a lot of trouble explaining which one it was when I wanted a manual, and I never DID get one really for that model.

However, it works fine (got it last fall) and puts a good finish of tools, as well as other things..... And the honed edges seem to cut better as well as last longer.

It's the bees knees for scraper blades.

Just remember to use water. I use a bit of detergent in water, but you can buy their stuff too.

The ability to lay it back and use it as a flat-wheel polisher is really nice. I wasn't sure about that, but am now a convert to it.

I got mine used, of course, but it runs fine. They seem to be well-made.

DICKEYBIRD
05-10-2008, 07:02 AM
I don't have one myself but am curious what rpm these nifty machines run at and also what is the diameter of the wheel.

lazlo
05-10-2008, 11:43 AM
They rotate at 300 RPM.

carlquib
05-10-2008, 12:11 PM
My series II turns at about 318 rpm and uses 6" wheels.

-brian

DICKEYBIRD
05-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks! I figured they turned pretty slow but that's a lot slower than I thought.

'Nudder dumb question: At that speed, you probably never see any sparks; is that correct? Is it a resin bonded wheel?

MickeyD
05-11-2008, 10:54 AM
I tried it to sharpen a wood chisel (replacing a bunch of doors in the house) yesterday and I am very impressed. About 2 minutes and not reading the instructions gave a blade that was very sharp. I think that if I switch over to a fine wheel it would have been sharp enough to shave with. Looks like this is going to be dangerous.

MickeyD
09-09-2008, 11:59 PM
I wanted to post some follow up on my Accufinish tool sharpener. This has got to be one of the nicest and most polite tool grinders out there. You can't really get in a hurry with it, but for resharpening, touching up an edge, or doing a light angle change, this thing is terrific. Until now, I have always kept my tool grinders away from any precision machine because of the mess and abrasive dust, but with the slow speed and a couple of drops of wheel dressing, there is almost no mess at all. One of the big things that I like is that I don't burn my fingers on the tools because it runs so cool. The edges it makes are very nice, and easy to repeat with the adjustments on the little table. I wish that I had two of them so I could leave a course wheel in one and a fine in the other. If you need a sharpener, this is one that is worth looking at.

oldtiffie
09-10-2008, 12:43 AM
Just so we all know what we are talking about:
http://www.accu-finish.com/seriestwo.html

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=Accu-Finish+Series+II&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Nice machine - very - which seems to be supported by the posts and the links.

You should be very happy with it.

macona
09-10-2008, 01:26 AM
Looks similar to a Leonard Grind-r-lap. The leonard has an oscillation mechanism in the wheel head to even out wear.

Leonard is no longer around but there is at least one company that makes copies. And the wheels are available as well. They are held on magnetically.

They pop up every now and then on ebay. I bought mine from the guy I bought my 10EE from.