PDA

View Full Version : Truing a 4x6 H/V Bandsaw

deltaenterprizes
05-11-2008, 05:49 PM
I saw a reference to truing a 4x6 bandsaw in a previous post and would like more details on this operation.Mine cuts horribly and like to improve its ability.

macona
05-11-2008, 06:00 PM
What kind of blade are you using? How much down pressure, what blade speed, how much blade tension.

I have a HF 4x6 and it cuts true as stock.

If it is cutting at an angle vertically it could be these things. Dull or cruddy blades will make it cut crooked. Use Lenox blades. Too much down pressure will cut crooked, too fast of blade speed will kill the blade and start cutting crooked. Not enough blade tension will also cause it to cut crooked.

Blade tension should be set with a device for setting tension but those are expensive. Usually proper tension will be tightening it as tight as you can by hand.

If it cuts at an angle horizontally make sure your miter side of the vice is set right. Also check the blade follower bearings. They should be just touching the sides of the blade. One bearing is mounted on a cam for adjusting it.

oldtiffie
05-11-2008, 08:54 PM
You've got it right Macona - on all counts.

Most of the 6 x 4 band-saws seem to be fairly generic.

As I recall, the manual advises leaving the blade alignment rollers alone unless necessary. Spacing, as you say is 0.001" maximum. It is those rollers that convert the blade from alignment with the main pulleys/wheels (tilted) to vertical.

I have the manual for mine - I think. I will hunt it out later in the day and will scan it and post the pics/links.

Bill Pace
05-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Theres been a ton of stuff written about this amazing little saw ... for the price and its quite good performance, its gotta be one of the truly GOOD deals for us HSM'ers!

I cant recall any one particular write-up, but if you arent familar with the yahoo group on this saw----

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/4x6bandsaw/

there is a couple run-thrus in the files section on alignment, along with a bunch of other good stuff ----

It seems that HF (maybe to keep that cheap price??) has made it more difficult to adjust the blade on the newer red saws.