PDA

View Full Version : Firebrick for homemade furnace

RPease
12-26-2001, 08:58 PM
The Oct/Nov 2001 issue of HSM has an article by Wayne Hanson about building a "Propane-fired Furnace". Good article, but Wayne failed to mention where one might find "firebrick". I've searched everywhere that I can imagine to find a reasonable source that even remotely resembles the material that Wayne used. I did locate a pottery kiln manufacturer that would sell me some brick, but it was cheaper to buy his kiln and throw everything away (except the brick) than to buy the brick alone. What a deal!!
Does anyone know where I can find firebrick at a price that doesn't require a bank loan or make me have to get a third job?

Thanks,
Rodger

------------------
RPease

JCHannum
12-26-2001, 09:29 PM
Try the Yellow Pages. Look under Boiler Supplies, or Rfractories. May take some looking around, as some of these people don't want to deal with smaller quantities.

Some larger hardware stores may have firebrick with woodstove supplies too. Come to think of it, look under Stoves, Wood too.

------------------
Jim H.

RPease
12-26-2001, 11:09 PM
Thanks Jim,
I hadnt't thought of some of those. I'll give them a go. If anyone else has some suggestions, I'm open to most anything reasonable.

Rodger

------------------
RPease

willjordan
12-26-2001, 11:14 PM
The last time I bought firebrick, I got at the neighbourhood home centre/lumberyard. Another option is to check at brick or masonry supply places. It normally comes in full bricks and half thicknes bricks.

I used a mixture of half-and-half mortar mix and fire clay for putting things together and used the same stuff for lining my forge.

------------------
grace & peace
will

charlie coghill
12-26-2001, 11:50 PM
Masonry places that sell concret block and other supplys should have fire bricks or they can order them.
Charlie.

RPease
12-27-2001, 12:10 AM
Will/Charlie,
Thank you both (also) for the information. I spent most of my time looking on the internet for firebrick. I guess I should have looked closer to home. I also think that maybe I should have expanded my search to include some more "related" uses instead of just "firebrick". These are all good suggestions that I will start on ASAP.

Thanks again to all.

Rodger

------------------
RPease

Thrud
12-27-2001, 01:18 AM
Try www.budgetcastingsupply.com (http://www.budgetcastingsupply.com)

RPease
12-27-2001, 09:52 AM
Thrud,

Outstanding info!! Just what I've been looking for. Budget Casting Supply appears to be the "one stop shopping station" for hobby casting.

Much obliged,

Rodger

NuGy
01-11-2002, 07:38 PM
Try McMaster-Carr(www.mcmaster.com). Out here in California,their prices includes overnight shipping.