• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ETG
    • Mar 2008

DRO Software Help

Hi,
    I have the unit in the link below on my Acra 45. The system was supposed to come with software but the vendor said it was just a demo program and you couldn't really do anything with it. I have seen the unit under various names so I really don't know who makes it. Does anyone recognize it and know if there is a program that would allow me to upload and down load the SDM memory?
    Thanks,
    Ed

• pcarpenter
    • Jun 2005

I have the lathe version of the Sino made DRO. What software? What's SDM memory?

I am an EE by education and I feel a little stupid asking that question, but I guess I don't know what you are after for sure?

How does a PC interface with the DRO assuming that's what you mean by "download"?

thanks
    Paul
    Paul Carpenter
    Mapleton, IL

Comment

• ETG
      • Mar 2008

Hi, I'm a ME by education but it’s been a long time since I used it :-) The SDM is the secondary memory points - 200 of them. You can program them manually two different ways. Set absolute zero - go to the position you want, select an SDM point and zero it - or you can set absolute zero then select an SDM point and enter in the actual coordinate offsets. When machining you set the absolute zero on the piece then you can select an SDM point and just zero the display and you are where you want to be. I may make 50 to 100 of the same part and the memory makes it a breeze. I set absolute zero to the center edge of the fixed jaw of my vice then I can center each piece in the vice and not even have to reset zero - just step through the memory points. The unit has an RS-232 port that a computer can connect to. I want to be able to download that memory and upload to that memory. My DRO locked up a few days ago and it made me want to backup all the memory I have programmed. Luckily the DRO worked fine after cycling the power. It would also be nice to figure out the coordinates for a part on the computer and then just upload it and go instead of the manual entry the first time. According to the manual it has that capability – I just don’t know where to get the software.
      Last edited by ETG; 05-16-2008, 01:29 PM.

Comment

• pcarpenter
        • Jun 2005

Very handy indeed then. Because you are using yours on a mill, the vise edge as an absolute reference makes that all work out well. Perhaps less so on a lathe where the rough stock location variation that would tend to happen in chucking up makes pre-established zero references a bit less useful. I suppose a chuck stop could deal with that.

My guess is your DRO version is also different as mine makes no reference to the RS-232 interface. Lathe DRO's are in may ways simpler by design anyway.

While I suppose that's not really a SINO DRO, the case design suggests it may well be. Here is the MFG site....I don't know if that will help or not:

Paul
        Paul Carpenter
        Mapleton, IL

Comment

• Dawai
          • Dec 2005

Used to be the kinda thing I was good at figuring out. Serial calls, data requests and protocols.

I've cracked more than one of the "demo" programs.
          Hook a pc with two ports in the middle, input, then echo it back out, recording each transaction both ways.

Pretty soon you have a polling list of ascii calls. You start "bombarding" the DRO with the calls and see what it sends back.
          Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

• ETG
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by David E Cofer
            Used to be the kinda thing I was good at figuring out. Serial calls, data requests and protocols.

I've cracked more than one of the "demo" programs.
            Hook a pc with two ports in the middle, input, then echo it back out, recording each transaction both ways.

Pretty soon you have a polling list of ascii calls. You start "bombarding" the DRO with the calls and see what it sends back.
            Your way beyond me there - the only thing I have ever done is to jump over the exit calls on a timed demo or key check.

Comment

• pcarpenter
              • Jun 2005

It might be good if he gets the data points backed up before he starts sending the device random, not-so-well understood strings

Paul
              Paul Carpenter
              Mapleton, IL

Comment

Working...
              X