PDA

View Full Version : Pouring Cast Iron

lynnl
05-16-2008, 06:16 PM
I was looking at the pictures in that Saugus Ironworks link that Errol posted in the Blazing Lawnmower thread. The molten iron in the pix looked to be kind of syrupy in comparison to the molten aluminum that I've poured.

Having never seen molten cast iron firsthand, I'm wondering if that's typical of it. Or is it just a matter of them not having that up to a sufficient temp? ...it seems like I've read that aluminum is especially good for pouring.

Duffy
05-16-2008, 07:03 PM
I have yet to pour some iron, but I have been doing my research. At its pouring temperature, it apparently is thinner than water! Because it has low specific heat in the molten state, it cools really quickly and it needs a lot of practice, (and skill,) to pour successfully, especially in thin sections.

Errol Groff
05-16-2008, 08:32 PM
I will have my video camera with me tomorrow and will try to post some video of the pour.

Errol Groff

tattoomike68
05-16-2008, 08:48 PM
Iron pours better than aluminum. With iron you can get away with necked down gates so they break right off in shake out. With aluminum you have much bigger gates and risers, so big you have to saw them off.

boslab
05-16-2008, 09:25 PM
i see about 3000 tons of iron being poured a day so i can tell you for a fact it has about the same viscosity as water at around 1225 deg [c], it depends on temp as much as analysis [5% Carbon bout 0.9% silicon depending on how the blast furnace is behaving], if its syrupy its too cold, you cant beat heat
regards
mark

wierdscience
05-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Yes,hot is better,just remember to always wear your saftey toe flip-flops:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtbWVp3xEqI

JRouche
05-16-2008, 10:26 PM

Oh MAN!! That was one of the funniest vids Ive seen in awhile.. OSHA training video for sure... Geeze, dude was standing ontop of that hot mold with rubber flip flops. Not to mention ALL the other stuff. Might as well do a pour nekad.. Too funny.. JR

Forrest Addy
05-16-2008, 11:59 PM
I thought frying bacon while naked was hazardous.

pcarpenter
05-17-2008, 12:10 AM
Note to self: If ever you get to meet Forrest in person and he invites you over for breakfast, offer to take him out for pancakes:D

Paul

oldtiffie
05-17-2008, 12:10 AM
Thanks Forrest - I had to smile visualising that!

Given that one of the ways that some folks reckon that MIG welding settings and process are OK if it sounds like frying bacon, I am visualising MIG welding naked!!

Do you think that "anti-spatter" spray/fluid would help?

Will it help my MIG welding?

What about my oxy/acet or plasma cutting?

Where should I hang my helmet?

Rich Carlstedt
05-17-2008, 01:43 AM
Keeping the heat up is a real problem with a small cupula.
Years ago, we poured and it was stiff like the video.
A friendly Cast Iron Metalurgist gave us a big help when he provided us with "Hot Shot"
These are Vanadium pellets, that not only greatly improve the machining
of the iron, but actually INCREASE the heat of the melt when added to the ladle, as Vanadium is exothermic when introduced to iron.
Worked wonders...
Rich

Tuckerfan
05-17-2008, 04:56 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtbWVp3xEqI
How the hell can they see? I've had to pour steel without tinted eye protection (clear face shield) and I just had to stumble along and look anywhere but the ladle as it was like staring at the sun.

lynnl
05-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Note to self: If ever you get to meet Forrest in person and he invites you over for breakfast, offer to take him out for pancakes:D

Paul

I'd also think twice about eating donuts he'd made! ...unless I'd personally watched the holes being punched out. :D

clutch
05-18-2008, 08:05 PM

Paul

If the batter isn't sizzling when I drop it, the hot plate isn't hot enough. I HATE waiting for a stack of flapjacks.

Clutch

lazlo
05-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Oh MAN!! That was one of the funniest vids Ive seen in awhile.. OSHA training video for sure... Geeze, dude was standing ontop of that hot mold with rubber flip flops.

Next time I get one of the spongiform cast iron vices from Enco, I'll know where it came from...