PDA

View Full Version : Another HF tool grinder owner with questions

clutch
05-18-2008, 05:14 PM
I bought a Harbor Freight tool grinder on my way to this years names show.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46727

Today I got a chance to look it over (put it together).

I notice that the alloy flanges that you screw the wheels into wobble about 0.007". Now with an AO wheel, I'd just dress the face but I have a diamond wheel I want to use on one side. Is 0.007" too much? How have others fixed this?

The other issue is I can't get the tables to tilt freely. Any tips.

I know this is a kit of sorts :p , could use tips on completing it.

Thanks,
Clutch

DICKEYBIRD
05-18-2008, 05:29 PM
Yup, a kit allright...but a good one for the money.

I turned a close fitting arbor in the lathe, (motor shaft size) mounted the hubs on it and skimmed them until they ran dead true.

I bolted the crappy table brackets to a right angle block in the mill and skim cut them until they were true & square. Then I scraped the paint off the bracket mount pads on the table and fiddled with adjustments until they pivoted reasonably well.

lazlo
05-18-2008, 06:35 PM
I notice that the alloy flanges that you screw the wheels into wobble about 0.007". Now with an AO wheel, I'd just dress the face but I have a diamond wheel I want to use on one side. Is 0.007" too much? How have others fixed this?

That's typical -- mine was worse. Yes, it's too much for a diamond wheel -- you wouldn't want to dress that much off a diamond wheel, even if you could.

Basically, you need to take the wheel mount off and turn everything concentric. While you've got the wheel plate off, face the back side smooth (it's a casting). Also, the wheel mounting arbor is probably too tight for a stock diamond wheel (mine was, and several others have posted the same issue), so you might want to turn down the spigot enough to give the diamond wheel a tight slip fit.

The other issue is I can't get the tables to tilt freely. Any tips.

The table adjustment mechanism is Fubar. If you loosen the screws enough that the table moves, the pins fall out of the track, and the whole table falls apart. I leave my table at 8, which works for most rake and relief angles.