PDA

View Full Version : Finnally done w/ Craftsman/Atlas lathe!

happs
05-18-2008, 06:53 PM
I've been lurking on this site for a while and I just thought I would post up my new addition to my shop. I have been working on it for about 6 months now buying missing pieces here and there. So I ended up with alot of different colors and rusty textures.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh148/silva_jon/DSC_0263.jpg

So I decided I would put some time into the asthetics and clean the rust then repaint it. I didnt have my hopes up for a super nice paint job out of rattle can rustoleum, but to my surprise it turned out VERY nice!

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh148/silva_jon/100_0994.jpg?t=1211147165
I still have a few pieces I want to find for it, but I think its pretty much done now!:D So what do you all think?

DENedbalek
05-18-2008, 07:17 PM
That's a good looking lathe.

Dwayne

davidh
05-18-2008, 07:47 PM
i have the same lathe but mine is not nearly as pretty as yours. . . . nice job.

JBL37
05-18-2008, 07:51 PM
Happs: Good job. You will enjoy using it. Mine is an Atlas TH54 model. Headstock bearings were dated 1947. Jim

Ohio Farmer
05-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Nice job. Makes ya feel good dosn't it.....enjoy !

Ken_Shea
05-18-2008, 10:00 PM
Very nice !
Appears to have a very long bed for the size of it, that can come in real handy now and then.

happs
05-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Very nice !
Appears to have a very long bed for the size of it, that can come in real handy now and then.

yep I lucked out when I bought it, the bed is the longest one that craftsman made. I havent needed that long of a bed yet but I am sure I will eventually!

Thanks for all the compliments:cool:

3t-
05-18-2008, 10:55 PM
happs,

I like it, nice work on the "prettyin up". I have similar 54" Atlas with the quick change gears. Not a monster, just the right size for me:D

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb219/tthurin/DSCN1226.jpg

Doozer
05-19-2008, 08:18 AM
I also like the spark plug sand blaster on the leg of the lathe. That is about as good as asbestos on morning toast. But hell, it's only an Atlas.

--Doozer

happs
05-19-2008, 12:11 PM
I also like the spark plug sand blaster on the leg of the lathe. That is about as good as asbestos on morning toast. But hell, it's only an Atlas.

--Doozer

Eh I have never used it, it has been there since I moved into the shop and it didnt get in the way so I didnt bother with it. Also what do you mean its only an Atlas?

ERBenoit
05-19-2008, 07:21 PM
Nice job. No obvious shelf, so it took a minute to figure out the how you got the tool blocks and chuck keys to "stick" to the wall. Magnetic strip.

I like the wide slats on your shutters :rolleyes:

Doozer
05-19-2008, 07:54 PM
" Also what do you mean its only an Atlas? "

I had one for 16 years. I finally sold it, and never miss it.
It was the lathe that turned me on to metalworking, and
I probably have the career I enjoy today because I
learned to love metal on an Atlas lathe. Basically, the Atlas
is a very light duty lathe that chatters when you look at
it funny. And mine turned on a taper. But yes, I learned
how to work around all that stuff, and I am a better
machinist for it. If I had learned on a Hardinge, I would
not know nearly as much about running a lathe. An Atlas
is good for what it is, just like a moped is good for what
it is. But just like when you ride a 4 cyl bike, you will
never want to ride a moped again. When you use a better
lathe, you will never want to use the Atlas again. Use it
and learn how to make stuff with it and have fun. That way
when you use a real lathe, you will know how good you have it.

--Doozer

happs
05-19-2008, 07:59 PM
Nice job. No obvious shelf, so it took a minute to figure out the how you got the tool blocks and chuck keys to "stick" to the wall. Magnetic strip.

I like the wide slats on your shutters :rolleyes:

You like that mag strip? I picked it up at Wallyworld actually and it is super strong. In fact I may end up having to secure it a bit better eventually its pretty solid now but I could see the two screws that hold it coming out over time with how strong the magnetic pull is.

Actually there was an old broken window there and I boarded it up, but to match the rest of the lines the new wood had to be overlapped very little as the dismentions are not the same as the old style boards. I put silicone so its pretty air tight but the light shines in obviously.;)

happs
05-19-2008, 08:05 PM
" Also what do you mean its only an Atlas? "

I had one for 16 years. I finally sold it, and never miss it.
It was the lathe that turned me on to metalworking, and
I probably have the career I enjoy today because I
learned to love metal on an Atlas lathe. Basically, the Atlas
is a very light duty lathe that chatters when you look at
it funny. And mine turned on a taper. But yes, I learned
how to work around all that stuff, and I am a better
machinist for it. If I had learned on a Hardinge, I would
not know nearly as much about running a lathe. An Atlas
is good for what it is, just like a moped is good for what
it is. But just like when you ride a 4 cyl bike, you will
never want to ride a moped again. When you use a better
lathe, you will never want to use the Atlas again. Use it
and learn how to make stuff with it and have fun. That way
when you use a real lathe, you will know how good you have it.

--Doozer

Thanks for the explanation. I figured you were just another person that felt they needed to blindly call the brand a POS but I agree with you. This is my second lathe, I picked it up for very cheap and in taking it apart to fix up I learned a lot about it (my first lathe was a gigantic warner swasey that I sold because I couldnt figure it out!). This lathe is defenitley a learning experience but for now is perfect for the tolerences and skill level that I am at.

Thanks for the comments!:cool: