PDA

View Full Version : OT: pocket knife recommendation

Tony
05-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Ok so this is a bit OT, I'll admit -- but I'm willing to bet 90% of
you kids out there carry a pocket knife or have one in the truck.

Its time for a new one and I'm looking for recommendations.

I've been carrying a fixed blade in the truck, a Gerber "Freeman" --
its been a good knife but the blade is too wide -- must be a skinning
knife? also, its an SS blade and I've always been partial to carbon
steel.

[image]
http://www.viewpoints.com/images/review/2007/167/6/1181994789-9332_full.jpg

carry a leatherman on me most of the time -- the Core .. its a handy
tool.. unfortunately I've been through 3 already (always need to
do something when I'm away from my tools).. they're good for just
about anything except.. well.. cutting.

I'm willing to spend a bit if its a quality product.

-Tony

kendall
05-19-2008, 02:00 PM
I'll be watching this thread, like you I dislike stainless blades, though I had one that was a great knife and held an edge like you wouldn't believe.

Last few knives I've carried were shopbuilt, about evenly mixed folders and straight blades. Only reason for changing is that what I need or want in a knife changes. Every commercially available knife I look at has features I like, mixed with features I don't so I can't justify buying one. ( I look at knives expecting to carry them for 20 years or so)

Ken.

smiller6912
05-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Maybe I'm wrong but, I look at my daily carry pocket knife a little differently than most. I use the heck out of it for whittling, box cutting, wire stripping, finger nail scraping, and even burring mild steel. I usually just go to the K Mart and get a few of the $3 el-cheepos when they are on sale, and I might sharpen them once or twice if they aren't too bad, but then I pitch it and get me a brand new one out of my sox drawer and "bingo" I'm good to go again. Nothing ticks me off like breaking the tip on an expensive pocket knife.

QSIMDO
05-19-2008, 02:37 PM
I've still got the Buck I bought in the Navy in '66 but with a blade longer than..what is it now, 1.75"?.. I can't carry it in my pocket.

Which leads me to steer about 2 degrees off course with the thread;
It may not come as a surprise that I and others here appreciate mechanisms and mechanical devices.
I have a carry permit and own several pistols. (MERELY stating a fact, not trolling for opinions!)

If I can carry a -firearm- WHY can I not (legally) even own, let alone carry a automatic knife?
The paranoid distortion of events that lead to the Sullivan law and other edged weapon restrictions rings a tad ludicrous in '08, no?
Pull one out now & you're more likely to either get shot or have a good laugh than cause any real harm to others.

IF I were so inclined I might pose a threat to the civilized world with my machinery and actually fabricate such a device. Talk about unleashing mayhem and loosing the dogs of war!
Rant off.

SGW
05-19-2008, 02:46 PM
I've got a "Swiss army knife" with a moderate selection of gadgets that I find handy. The blades aren't as good as some of my older carbon-steel knives, but having a Phillips screwdriver, a couple of regular screwdrivers, tweezers, etc. more than makes up for it.

aostling
05-19-2008, 02:51 PM
I am never without an Opinel in my pocket. I use it many times a day -- for cutting down signs mounted on utility poles, for cooking, opening envelopes, etc. Opinels are cheap, come in many sizes, and are available in either stainless (INOX) or carbon. All Opinel knives lock the blade with an ingeniously-simple cylindrical cam.

Mine is the No. 8, shown here. It measures 4.25" closed.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/opinel.jpg

Tony
05-19-2008, 02:54 PM
SGW,
as a matter of fact, for quite a few years, my favorite was... hold
on have to look this up... swiss army Centurion. big lock blade, great
size, screwdriver -- god knows what the awl was really for but damn
it was sharp. maybe its time for another one?

don't know how I happened across this -- looks like a good knife,
but no longer available:

http://yerfrockethellhound.com/woodlore-smknife.jpg

doesn't look too hard to make either.

-Tony

Your Old Dog
05-19-2008, 03:58 PM
I carry a Puma Stockman 675 purchased on the day I got married as a rememberance. It's carbon and requires you treat it nice but I wouldn't trade it for anything else. In 1970 I paid close to $65 for it. Now it sells for $68 !! Did the guy at the sporting goods store see me coming or what? :D This baby has seen more pizza duty in cheap restaurants that serve with plastic silverware than you can imagine. I have an overbite and people recreate watching me eat pizza with my hands.

I also have a German made Browning Lockback Folder hunting knive that I like a lot. I take it to wedding receptions and such when I know I might be patted down at the door and don't want to be caught with my heater !!

http://www.lightsandknives.com/images/D/d-575-283.jpeg

old-biker-uk
05-19-2008, 04:04 PM
This came up on the PM site some time back. This was my 2c worth.......
For working knives the Swedish laminated blade (high carbon layer between mild steel) will take a lot of beating, I was introduced to them by a fisherman off Iceland who claimed that with one he could gut cod all day & still shave with it in the morning !!
The top two in the pic are these type, the larger with a handle modified with needle hitching.
For a pocket knife (here I agree with aostling), cheap & cheerful but none the worse for that are the French made Opinel, carbon steel & takes & keeps a very good edge. (3rd from top)
If you really must have a stainless blade (for me 'stainless steel knife' is kin to 'Military Intelligence', 'Journalistic Integrity' & 'Honest Lawyer' then the 12C27 stainless by Laguiole are OK for 'Sunday Best'
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/remark/pages/Temp/images/knives.jpg

Mark

carlquib
05-19-2008, 04:14 PM
Try one of the folding utility knives. I carried old Timers and Bucks for years and also started with the leatherman when they were introduced. A few years back I got one of the folding utility knives and I'm not going back. You have all the blades that are available for a regular utility knife in a smaller folding package. Kill the edge deburring a part, no problem just reverse of flip in a new one. Need a hook blade, they make em, cheap. Lately I have been toting one of the lowes kobalt brand, a little more bulky but it stores five additional bladed in the handle. I still carry the leatherman but almost never use the knife blades, just the pliers and screwdrivers.

-brian

bob308
05-19-2008, 04:16 PM
case is still u.s. made and they have some carbon steel models. queen out of n.y. is u.s. made and they use tool steel in their blades.

i have a buck wodel 3793 stockman it is a s.s. knife holds a good edge. one gripe i have with it is it is made in china. now i would not have it but i won it at a shooting match.

Dawai
05-19-2008, 04:16 PM
You guys sure are fancy.. I got a Sheffield folder that takes the razor blades. A box of blades is a few bucks. Knife is about three years old, or however long it was Winchman got my first one.

I used to carry the buck 401.. but then it was outlawed and I still can vote so I quit carrying it.

I still collect them.. I got this Colt dagger, when I pick it up, my eyes sparkle.. And a Marine Kabar that was used in vietnam by a special forces guy I know, and A huge BOWIE made in England and would take all your toes off if you dropped it. THen there are the meat cleavers, I got five or six, the largest will quarter a deer in about twenty seconds.. Chop kindling or??

MaxxLagg
05-19-2008, 05:42 PM
I've been carrying one of these for a few years. Nice one handed operation and gets a lot of interest from others every time I whip it out. I wish I could say that about other things..............

http://www.crkt.com/snaplock.html

x39
05-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Make your own. I've made a couple from scratch and its really not that difficult.

Chipslinger
05-19-2008, 06:13 PM
You say Pocket knife, then you mention Leatherman.

For 30 years I haven't used a pocket knife, Iwore a swiss Champ in the Navy and for a few years after, then I started wearing a leatherman, and for the Past few years I have a Leatherman Wave on my hip.

Ries
05-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Pocket Knives are like cars-
even though everybody claims they are being 100% practical in their choices, in reality its all about self image, romance, being cool, who you wish you were versus who you really are, what century you want to live in, and a million other totally subjective, very personal reasons.

I got friends who drive 20 year old Toyota trucks with 100 horsepower, and a buddy with a BMW M5.
Both of em are perfectly sensible, practical guys, who each think they made the absolute right decision, and will argue it with you for hours, or until the scotch runs out.

I used to solve this problem by owning a 300Z and a full sized pickup.

And I used to carry a Case Sodbuster in my right pants pocket, and a Swiss Army knife in my left.
The Red and The Black, for all you old Blue Oyster Cult fans- in fact, I was carrying the Red and the Black when the first BOC album came out...

Anyway, there is no right answer to this question.

Me, I have been carrying a Victorinox Champion for almost 30 years now, and I find that realistically, it serves all my needs. I dont dress deer, or chop down trees with it- but I do use the scissors, the phillips screwdriver, and, yes, the ballpoint pen, almost every day. Its enough knife, even though its stainless, to cut a steak or slice bread or cut a rope. And I do use the metal file, and the little saw, and the awl, a whole lot more than you would think. I love always having a corkscrew, even though I dont drink wine myself- makes me the go to guy at most parties.

Yep, its kinda dweeby, and the blade isnt big enough to properly fillet a 20lb Salmon.

But I do live in a house, and I have a bunch of sharp kitchen knives right in the kitchen.

38_Cal
05-19-2008, 08:15 PM
I carry an original Superknife utility knife, and a Japanese made Browning 705 I won at a Schuetzen rifle match. The Superknife for boxes, tape, dirty jobs and the Browning for jobs where sharp right now is good, like food, envelopes, or whatever. It might be stainless, but it does hold a good edge. I might leave the utility knife at home when I'm out in other than jeans or shorts, but I'm not dressed without the Browning folder!

David
Montezuma, IA

Frank Ford
05-19-2008, 08:45 PM
I've carried a pocket knife pretty much every day since I was seven years old or thereabouts - whoa, that's almost six decades.

Quite a long while ago, I settled on the "whittler" style with three blades - I think it might be the stockman's smaller cousin. Not long ago I mentioned to a friend that I was having trouble finding another Case in that style locally, he showed me his Weidmannscheil. I was sold.

Apparently out of production, I think they're still available as "new old stock" on eBay, and rather underpriced considering the really fine fit and finish. I grabbed a couple and haven't owned a pocket knife I liked as well.

ProGunOne
05-19-2008, 10:28 PM
I guess it depends. Ken Onion Blackout made by Kershaw for dress and a Swedish Mora knife for a good, affordable utility. The Kershaw is a clip-on folder with a coated SS blade, the Mora is a carbon steel fixed blade in sheath. Also have the Leatherman Wave.

Evan
05-19-2008, 10:29 PM
For the last 30+ years I have carried a Victorinox Officier Suisse knife. I have two, one red and one black. They aren't sold any more and the closest to it in the current offerings is the Spartan. There are some differences though. It's 3 1/2 inches instead of 3 1/4" long. It has a spiral groove in the corkscrew. The Swiss Army medallion is inset metal instead of stamped in the plastic. It has a symbol on the base of the big blade that looks like a plus sign beside a beach umbrella (which is a bow, I believe). Most important, the blades are hardened stainless steel. I sometimes use the blades to deburr holes drilled in steel when I don't have anything else handy and it doesn't dull them. To test if mystery scrap steel I pick up is abrasion resistant I shave a bit off the edge with the big blade. If it's hard to cut then it's AR steel. I generally have to sharpen them once every few years.

I checked the Victorinox web site and they not only don't carry them anymore, they also don't even have any record on their site of the officer grade knife. I purchased these from Mountain Equipment Co-op in Vancouver back when they first opened in the 70's.

aostling
05-19-2008, 10:47 PM
For the last 30+ years I have carried a Victorinox Officier Suisse knife. I have two, one red and one black. They aren't sold any more and the closest to it in the current offerings is the Spartan.

Evan,

Is this your knife? http://cgi.ebay.com/Victorinox-Pocket-Knife-Officier-Suisse_W0QQitemZ280228647716QQihZ018QQcategoryZ638 01QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Evan
05-19-2008, 10:54 PM
No, mine have the same tools as the Spartan, large and small blades, corkscrew, opener/flat blade screwdriver, awl, tooth pick and tweezers. It's the same branding though and it is definitely a Victorinox knife (1). They had a line of Swiss Offficer's knives back then which has obviously been discontinued. They cost about twice the price of the regular series so I guess they didn't sell well enough. They are more than worth it for the hardened blades.

(1) I can tell by the way the light reflects from the medallion on the handle. It's flush with the surface because it is inset metal instead of stamped in and painted. I have seen many copies but I have never seen one with the same flush set metal insignia.

Duffy
05-20-2008, 08:56 AM
I think that you will get as many opinions as there are members in this forum. Like many, I have carried a pocket knife as long as I can remember, certainly six decades. I have a Schrade, a Buck, a Gerber, some Opinels, and even a swithblade, (which makes me a criminal in this country!) My favorite is the carbon steel Opinel, (I also have a stainless/rosewood model,) and they are available from Lee Valley Tools. They hold an excellent edge and, as an added bonus, WHEN you lose, bend, nick, chip, (pick one-you will,) the blade, it doesnt matter--they are less than $10.00! They also make an excellent stainless FOLDING filleting knike that will stay sharp in your tackle box.
Now for the quiz: when do you ALWAYS need a knife? Answer: When you have only one hand Free! Why arent all pocket knives automatic, (switchblade type?) It makes sense-thats why.

gellfex
05-20-2008, 10:50 AM
You say Pocket knife, then you mention Leatherman.

For 30 years I haven't used a pocket knife, Iwore a swiss Champ in the Navy and for a few years after, then I started wearing a leatherman, and for the Past few years I have a Leatherman Wave on my hip.

Second that. I wasn't much impressed with Leatherman until the Wave. It's the one handed thumb flip opening of either blade that made it revolutionary from the older one that sat in my drawer. I find the edge holds pretty well, and with both serrated and straight, you're pretty covered. I love the diamond grit file for sharpening fishhooks, and the insert driver holder, that with the driver kit lets you do any size slot or phillips, allens, torx and robertsons. I've pruned trees with the saw. It really is a damn tool kit on your hip. 4 years and I still am amazed how much I love it.

RancherBill
05-20-2008, 12:43 PM
The particular style that I like has a "J" hook.

I have tried separate pocket knives, but, over time they end up being left on the dresser and are never with me when I need them.

With the J hook, I snap it on my key ring. It is always with me. It is is also easier to find my keys.:) :)

This is picture of one that is similar to give you the idea.

http://www.priceinsanity.net/catalog/4003159.jpg

groscap
05-20-2008, 01:58 PM
I've been carrying a small Kershaw for 10 years. Never been sharpened and its still as sharp as the day I bought it, except for a small nick where I used it to cut some safety wire once.

aostling
05-20-2008, 04:28 PM
My favorite is the carbon steel Opinel, (I also have a stainless/rosewood model,) and they are available from Lee Valley Tools. They hold an excellent edge and, as an added bonus, WHEN you lose, bend, nick, chip, (pick one-you will,) the blade, it doesnt matter--they are less than $10.00! They also make an excellent stainless FOLDING filleting knike that will stay sharp in your tackle box.

Duffy,

Nice to meet somebody else who carries an Opinel.

Here's a close-up of the blade mechanism, a ferrule which when twisted jams the blade against a cam surface. It never slips, but releases easily.

[edit] actually, the ferrule is stationary -- the cam cylinder twists on it.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u183/aostling/IMG_0108.jpg

wierdscience
05-20-2008, 11:53 PM
Last decent knife I bought was an accident.It came with a set of Vise-grip pliers.Decent 4" lockblade 440c stainless and it actually holds an edge,not bad for a freebe thrown in with some pliers.

JRouche
05-21-2008, 01:40 AM
I take it to wedding receptions and such when I know I might be patted down at the door and don't want to be caught with my heater !!

Just bring yer badge with you.. LOL I never bring the "heater" to a wedding. The bride's dad usually has that market covered and Im not getting in his business. LOL

For pocket knives. My sister bought me this really nice Spyderco police model for my graduation. Thing is scary sharp but way too heavy. I bought an inexpensive Gerber with a plastic body. I carry that mostly. I dont carry pocket knives though for the most part. Weigh too much on my pants, I dont like to carry much in my pockets, dont even like the car keys in there.

But my uncle kinda made me want to carry a small one. I remember as a kid he always had this really small pen knife in his pocket. Always. I thought that was the neatest thing. Thing is, he was a mechanical guy, in the trades, so he always brought it out to use it. For whatever lil things, even as simple as opening up the days bills.. Made me want to carry a small pen knife seeing that. But, too much metal in my pockets already, just loose change of course, thats all I get... :) JR

rantbot
05-21-2008, 04:47 AM
So nobody wants to admit to having a pocket knife with a picture of Roy Rogers or Lash LaRue under the scales?

Chipslinger
05-21-2008, 06:14 AM
I will , but I don't carry my Buck Rogers secret space decoder knife.

Dawai
05-21-2008, 09:09 AM
Duffy:

Cause a knife can go from a "non threat" to a "Deadly weapon" at close range at a push button.. It takes a 4 inch blade to "stick" someone in the armpit or in between the ribs in the back and collapse the lung, but they are quite dead afterwards. (that's why the law specifies that, and/or a lock blade)
Cutting someone, is not as lethal as quick as sticking, but I remember a mean old pool playing drunk that carried his small folding knife behind his belt buckle with the blade through the loop.. it came out open and cut a few people in North Chattanooga over a dollar.

You can't look at a man and tell if he was trained to use a blade. No waving about of the blade like a cowboy with his six shooter twirling it.
A screwdriver will kill you just as dead, they are legal and you see a lot of "down towner's" carrying them in their pockets. Must be a lot of construction workers cause some of them have claw hammers.

The world is a hateful place, people will kill you because they are scared of you, or you have a five dollar bill for them a crack rock, or some meth or a nice pair of tennis shoes....
You can not reason with people like that, nor talk sense to them. So they made laws to protect the uneducated.

I was cut, vertically, belly and Forearm Years ago. If I had not put up my arm, it could have been real bad. Someone reaches into a pocket anywhere around me and the trama relives.
We walked out of a restrurant in Dalton GA and my wife and daughter talking walked right by a young man thumbing a blade, If I had been carrying a gun I'd shot him. I had just paid the bill and was behind the two of them. My heart was hammering, my pupils dilated, my hands sweaty, scared for them. It was a buffet, I was so full of food my first fighting reaction would have been to throw up.

Gee, another small book in print.. sorry..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uwq8-ynH2w Lemme recant that "twirling a pistol statement" this girl knows how to OPEN a knife. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK9sEhldwxU&feature=related The first gentleman in this video, his attention is on HIS blade and the operation of.. the second guy with the longer hair, his attention is AHEAD of the blade. Who would you rather deal with, drunk and disorderly and angry? Almost scary.

Evan
05-21-2008, 09:43 AM
I've lived in lots of big cities for periods of time over the years. Walking down the street in New York or SF and see a trail of fresh blood on the sidewalk. First instinct is to follow it to see where it goes. That only lasts about 1 second when self preservation kicks in, pretend you didn't notice and do a quick traffic check, cut across the street on a diagonal like it was saving you crossing at the next intersection. I never had a problem myself. I guess being 6' 2" is good for something. Don't walk like a victim either, took several years of martial arts training as a young teen.

Tony
05-21-2008, 01:53 PM
so just exactly what does "legal" mean these days?
vary from state to state? -- anyone know who has the
most stringent rules?

I'm not that big a fan of folders -- so its absolutely
got to have a lock blade. (I've had those things close on me
one too many times) -- and a 3.5" blade at least -- maybe 3.25.

am I outta luck?

does that mean leatherman's are illegal to carry?
the Core (their biggest tool i think) is most certainly
a 3+" lock blade.

or do they get fooled by the file and can opener
think its legal?

-Tony

Dawai
05-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Some states.. any lock blade, any rigid knife is illegal, no length specified..

In Chattanooga Tn., 4" is illegal.. less is okay.. A policeman took my folder and stuck it into the sidewalk crack and broke the tip off it, making it legal.. I was not amused, but happy I didn't have to bond out. The knife was much cheaper, but emotionally not so.

I love all the knives I own. I got my dad's work knives, a barlow, a klien electricians knife (what did he have that for?) a stockman knife and a few more. I had two custom pocket knives made by a local smith, One I gave to my older brother, other I gave to my father, next time I saw my father, his was razor sharp, my brother didn't know where his was.

kendall
05-21-2008, 02:40 PM
found this the other day when I read someone mention possibly not being legal:

http://home.netcom.com/~brlevine/sta-law.htm

was interested to read that in my state (michigan) it's kind of vague, law seems to revolve around the "Carrying with unlawful intent" as the indication of legality. Seems to me if a person was going to carry a knife with illegal intent, he wouldn't decide to limit himself to a 3" blade to stay legal.

My current belt knife is just over 4" in blade length, my knife is not carried with unlawfull intent, it's carried as a tool, but I realy don't think police would agree.

ken.

Quetico Bob
05-21-2008, 02:53 PM
Just my opinion but disheartening to see young people learning to handle a weapon like that, is this out of necessity? Certainly isn't the pocket knife I grew up knowing.

Wish I could find another swiss army like my last, very small maybe 1-1/2" long folded. Just a blade and a file. But like some broke the tip off, used it for everything and held an edge. Look every time I see a display, but have yet to find a replacement.

Cheers, Bob

old-biker-uk
05-21-2008, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=aostling]Nice to meet somebody else who carries an Opinel.QUOTE]

Have to admit that I am a bit of an Opinel junkie .....
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/remark/pages/Temp/images/opinel.jpg
The smallest goes on a key-ring, the largest is just daft ! all the others in between are eminently useable. BTW some of the handles have been modified (a bit of whittling in a quiet moment)

Mark

aostling
05-21-2008, 05:07 PM
the largest is just daft !

Mark

Nice collection, Crocodile.

Dawai
05-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Just my opinion but disheartening to see young people learning to handle a weapon like that, is this out of necessity?

I agree.. mean people suck.. However, people desire abilities and knowledge they hope to never use. Once you can fight really well, you find out you don't have to. From that point on, you train for "self" betterment.

The first guy in the knife video I posted, he is "focused on the art" of the knife.. the second guy.. with his demeanor and focus, it is kinda scary. I'd run unless my family was with me. I'd say in close combat you'd be "stuck" with the second guy, he had the eyes of a hungry tiger. The knife is not dangerous, it is the person wielding it.

I've never learned whittling.. unless it was trying to get the jacket off of electrical wire..
http://www.bbssystem.com/files/sscn1623_139.jpg
Notice the nick on the red wire? Just like a snake waiting on someone there.. THIS was done by a good electrician in a hurry.

http://www.bbssystem.com/files/sscn1622_630.jpg
CUT deep to break jacket, then light to score the outer jacket.
http://www.bbssystem.com/files/sscn1621_110.jpg
Then tear it off the cable the length you want it stripped out., cut it around the length you need, then tape it up securely... to stop abrasion..

jmm360
05-21-2008, 08:32 PM
David,

There's much easier and faster ways to strip SO cable:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5C656

Regards,
John

Dawai
05-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Yep John: got one of the first ones, made in Germany. Needs a blade..

there is a knife there at grainger also with a shoe on the bottom.. like a gut hook..

A hook blade for the razor knives works great too. Used a lot in the carpet mills.

A real tray cable has a string to pull. THE nylon cord cuts the jacket. They also have meter or foot marks on the jacket.

dockterj
05-21-2008, 10:28 PM
I have an Opinel my folks brought back from France for me. I don't carry it much as it doesn't lock closed - do I have a low end model? Do you carry yours and not have problems with it opening in your pocket? Maybe I need a belt sheath for it. It is a great knife for the price, though.

Allan - just looked at the pic of your Opinel - it obviously locks closed too. I may have to take a dremel to mine and see if I can "fix" it.

JRouche
05-22-2008, 01:30 AM
The first guy in the knife video I posted, he is "focused on the art" of the knife.. the second guy.. with his demeanor and focus, it is kinda scary. I'd run unless my family was with me. I'd say in close combat you'd be "stuck" with the second guy, he had the eyes of a hungry tiger. The knife is not dangerous, it is the person wielding it.

Id agree, the second guy in the second vid has more skills with the straight blade. He would have you cut many different ways before you knew to defend..

Now, the girl in the first vid, shes someone to reckon with. At first contact most folks would be complaisant and think nutthin of her skinny frame. Till she is slicing you up and stickin you like a sucking pig.

And never underestimate a mad housewife with a kitchen full of ten inch kitchen blades. They dont stop, specially if there is a deep emotional issue going on. Like you have her hubby in handcuffs and getting ready to haul him off to the clink cause he just shattered her jaw in a friendly family argument. She will become the butcher in her own house but quick, and you dont wanna be the current prey.

Nope, twenty five feet can be closed very quickly by a person with a blade. Dont care if they are the normal "crazy" on the street or an apparently civil business man in a suit that is having a bad day. They all cover the distance just as quick. Ive come to never underestimate a person with a blade. Never... JR