View Full Version : Another "What Is It?" Tool

john hobdeclipe
05-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Found this at an estate sale last Saturday, and just had to have it. So I bought it.

But what is it? At first I thought it was a bushing driver but the interchangeable tips don't have pilots. The big sleeve can be used as a slide hammer except with the smallest tip. No maker's name or numbers anywhere. The tips are threaded 3/8 - 24.



05-19-2008, 08:55 PM
It looks home made . May be some ones idea for a bearing puller.

doctor demo
05-19-2008, 08:58 PM
John, Does the slide portion fit fairly snug on the shaft, and are the end pieces o.d. machined?
If You answered yes to the above question My guess would be an old universal clutch disc allignment tool .

05-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Auto/truck clutch disc lineup tool. They were popular before exact duplicates of trans. input shafts made from plastic became readily available. Got one in my toolbox.

We used to keep the old input shafts from trans overhauls and torch off the input gear to do the same thing. Got a bunch of those too! :)

05-19-2008, 09:00 PM
I would use it to install a clutch disc in a manual transmission automobile. The interchangable tips to fit yhe pilot bushing.

Mark Hockett
05-19-2008, 09:11 PM
Its a universal automotive clutch alignment tool. I have one that looks almost the identical.

john hobdeclipe
05-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Thanks for the info. Universal clutch pilot tool makes sense. Don't know if I would ever need it, so it will go into a labeled box and on a shelf somewhere until I either decide to try to sell it or re-purpose it.